PDA

View Full Version : Quick baritone string question...

remy26
05-15-2013, 06:39 AM
I have some Savarez classical sets sitting around and I want to try them on my vintage Martin. For low G, do you recommend using the top 4, 2-5 or 2, 3, 5, 6 for tension similar to a standard baritone set?

Thanks!

Ken Middleton
05-15-2013, 06:55 AM
I have some Savarez classical sets sitting around and I want to try them on my vintage Martin. For low G, do you recommend using the top 4, 2-5 or 2, 3, 5, 6 for tension similar to a standard baritone set?

Thanks!

This question is more complex than it sounds.

For low D (not G) I would use the top 4 strings (D G B E). They would be looser than on a guitar, but that's OK, a baritone uke is not a guitar.

If you actually mean low G (one octave lower than a tenor uke), you could use 2-5.

I would not recommend tuning guitar strings up to tenor uke tuning on a baritone instrument.

PS. If you have a nice vintage Martin uke, why not just buy a decent set of strings for it? You have a huge choice.

remy26
05-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I am talking about low D (DGBE) tuning, sorry for any confusion. I certainly don't plan on tuning to GCEA with it.

I do have some Martin and Aquila baritone strings and will most likely be ordering some of yours as well as Dirk's offerings, but I really like the Savarez strings on my tenors. I think that quite a few people actually like the Savarez strings on their instruments as there is some information here on UU discussing this. One thing that I hadn't seen mentioned was which strings from the set were actually used so I thought I'd check.

I like to experiment with different strings on each of my instruments to find the set that I like best. Are there any other recommendations that you might have for a decent set of strings?

Ken Middleton
05-15-2013, 08:17 AM
I personally would not be using nylon guitar strings, or any nylon strings for that matter. Look at Aquila Nylgut or fluorocarbon. Not all fluorocarbon strings are the same, but you have a big choice in both quality and price.

OldePhart
05-15-2013, 01:30 PM
I have to (partially) echo Ken. For the trebles I would use fluorocarbon strings. For the basses I shift them over one position (i.e. use the A guitar string for the low D and the D guitar string for the G - however, I like my string tension a little on the high side.

Here's what I use for linear baritones right now:
D - first choice is Thomastic-Infeld CF35 (.035 "A") chromium wound classical guitar string - second choice is D'Addario Pro Arte J4405 .036 classical string.
G - first choice is Thomastic-Infeld CF30 (.030 "D") chromium wound classical guitar string - second choice is D'Addario Pro Arte J4404 .030 classical string.
B - Seaguar "Blue Label" 90lb fluorocarbon fishing leader (.0358) (I have also used Pro Arte J4403 but it was not as satisfactory, IMHO)
E - Seaguar "Blue Label" 80lb fluorocarbon fishing leader (.0319) (I have also used Pro Arte J4402 but it was not as satisfactory, IMHO)

Note that above when I say that the unwound Pro Arte strings were not as satisfactory that doesn't mean they were bad. If I had a bunch of full sets of Pro Arte guitar strings around I'd probably use them up before buying the fluorocarbon.

The strings above surprisingly intonate well on both my Pono and Mainland baritones in spite of a significant difference in scale length between them.

In "out of the box" baritone strings for linear tuning I've tried Aquila, Martin M630, and Ko'Olau Alohi. Of those I only consider the Alohi something I would willingly try again. The Aquilas weren't terrible but one of the basses intonated pretty poorly (it also broke after not very long so in fairness it may have been a defective string). The M630s I bought because I thought I would like them after using M600s on a couple of sopranos - I couldn't get them off fast enough. Just terrible balance between the wound and unwound strings and I really didn't like that aluminum wound 3rd string. The Alohi weren't bad - if I wasn't a string junky I probably would have been happy with them on the Pono (never tried them on the shorter scale Mainland).

John

remy26
05-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply John. Very helpful. I have Martin baritone strings on it now and have to agree that the set seems pretty unbalanced. Maybe I'll leave the FC top strings on and experiment with the 2 bottom strings.

remy26
05-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Just wanted to post a quick follow up...

Tried low d with 2-5 and it was more tension than I liked, so I switched it out to high d. I'm using a high tension e string for high d, normal tension g, b, e for g, b, e on the baritone. Feels and sounds great so far!

These are the Savarez HT alliance strings, so they're not just run of the mill nylon as far as I Know.