How to play piccolo..

robin jack

Reaction score
Hey guys I have piccolo gift from my uncle who belong from India.. I love music and musical instruments I am trying to play this but its such a difficult for me.
Do you guys have any piccolo experience..?

EDIT: Why the link to a scale? Please don't spam. One more and you're banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
You blow in one end and move your fingers up and down on the outside.

I have piccolo experience. Is yours the Boehm style? Search YouTube for tips on playing. It's typically easier to start with flute & later when your embouchure is developed, start the piccolo.

Is this a chromatic, keyed piccolo, or a single key one like the Yamaha plastic one I have in "C"? The hardest thing is the embouchure (it's a bit like blowing across the top of a bottle to get a note, but not quite). I learned on bamboo flutes which don't require such an exact embouchure and my Yamaha plays OK with my primitive mouth position that shocks genuine flute players. If you can get someone to help you with mouth position before you get set into bad habits, then do so. I took ages unlearning my awful bow technique on the fiddle after a teacher taught me my sound was crap because I was not holding the bow correctly.

PS Word of advice, never try to learn the violin on your own with youtube videos ;) )

Last edited:
Kiss the center of the hole and role down the bottom lip. This will give you an almost exact proper embouchure. Yes, flute is much easier to produce a sound on, much more than piccolo. I have had beginner flutes takes weeks just to get a sound...

If the piccolo has two pieces, i.e., head joint & body, try to make sounds with just the head joint. Add the body when you have a good, stable sound.

Top Bottom