PDA

View Full Version : WTB Pono Cedar Top & Macassar Ebony back/sides

Nuprin
05-16-2013, 08:28 AM
A number of years ago Pono released a limited run of ukes with a cedar top and macassar ebony back & sides. I had one and sold it off and I regret that as it had an absolutely lovely tone.

So, if anyone has a used one that isn't getting much use, please PM me...I'd love to take it off your hands! Unfortunately I don't get on UU much anymore so I will rely on the PM notifications I get in my email.

Thank you!

P.S. I am aware that Pono has recently re-released this combination (they have one at Hawaii Music Supply) but a new one is a little too pricey for me right now.

Thanks!

hawaii 50
05-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Sorry you can not get a new Pono PC..i was down at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) and the Macassar/Cedar ones are nice..and they were selling fast,,slotted headstock and koa binding for under $1000.00 hard to beat..if you are a Pono fan hard to beat..the build quality(fit and finish) wow

good luck with your search..

dkcrown
05-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Nice to see you back here Chris. How did your downsizing and subsequent move go?

Good luck in your search for the cedar/Macassar Pono.

Kabog
07-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Nice to see you back here Chris. How did your downsizing and subsequent move go?

Good luck in your search for the cedar/Macassar Pono.

Can someone help me to decide which one to buy koaloha tenor or pono cedar top or macassar b/s. im just new in this ukelele. Which one has a good quality sound. Thanks for any help.

T'Bone
07-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Kabog - the pono cedar tops come in a few varieties, so "pono cedar top or macassar b/s" aren't mutually exclusive. I have a Pono cedar top/rosewood back and sides and I love it. I recommend checking out Hawaii Music Supply to listen to all of them and decide. Incidentally, the pictures and video for the Pono cedar/rosewood tenor is the actual instrument I got!

ShakaSign
07-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Kabog, Koaloha and Pono tenors are two different beasts. Both companies make great ukes, but they sound different and handle differently. The Koalohas use a unibrace instead of a more traditional fan type brace that gives it a distinctive sound in the uke world. Ponos have a beefier neck that appeals to many guitar players and gigging musicians. If you have a store nearby that sells any type of Pono tenor, I would suggest you go and try it. One comment about the Pono Macassar Ebony. It has a beautiful tone, but it is not a light uke as ebony is a very dense wood.

(Sorry for participating in the hijack of your thread, Chris.)

Kabog
07-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Shakasign.I just heard the Pono in HMS website and it sounds sweet, if you are the one to choose between koaloha and Pono Ebony which one do you pick? I tried Koaloha in one of the music store its really loud and warm. Thanks for the info.
:cool:

(Sorry for participating in the hijack of your thread, Chris.)[/QUOTE]

ShakaSign
07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Kabog,

Because you're new to the ukulele, I would suggest the Koaloha. It is lightweight, extremely resonant and well setup straight from the factory. And Koaloha is legendary for their awesome customer service, which I personally have experienced.

howlee
07-29-2013, 03:48 PM
I have one ... they are awsome ..
Kabog,

Because you're new to the ukulele, I would suggest the Koaloha. It is lightweight, extremely resonant and well setup straight from the factory. And Koaloha is legendary for their awesome customer service, which I personally have experienced.