WTB Pono Cedar Top & Macassar Ebony back/sides

Nuprin

Reaction score
A number of years ago Pono released a limited run of ukes with a cedar top and macassar ebony back & sides. I had one and sold it off and I regret that as it had an absolutely lovely tone.

So, if anyone has a used one that isn't getting much use, please PM me...I'd love to take it off your hands! Unfortunately I don't get on UU much anymore so I will rely on the PM notifications I get in my email.

Thank you!

P.S. I am aware that Pono has recently re-released this combination (they have one at Hawaii Music Supply) but a new one is a little too pricey for me right now.

Thanks!

Sorry you can not get a new Pono PC..i was down at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) and the Macassar/Cedar ones are nice..and they were selling fast,,slotted headstock and koa binding for under $1000.00 hard to beat..if you are a Pono fan hard to beat..the build quality(fit and finish) wow

good luck with your search..

Nice to see you back here Chris. How did your downsizing and subsequent move go?

Good luck in your search for the cedar/Macassar Pono.

Im planning to buy one too

Nice to see you back here Chris. How did your downsizing and subsequent move go?

Good luck in your search for the cedar/Macassar Pono.

Can someone help me to decide which one to buy koaloha tenor or pono cedar top or macassar b/s. im just new in this ukelele. Which one has a good quality sound. Thanks for any help.

Kabog - the pono cedar tops come in a few varieties, so "pono cedar top or macassar b/s" aren't mutually exclusive. I have a Pono cedar top/rosewood back and sides and I love it. I recommend checking out Hawaii Music Supply to listen to all of them and decide. Incidentally, the pictures and video for the Pono cedar/rosewood tenor is the actual instrument I got!

Kabog, Koaloha and Pono tenors are two different beasts. Both companies make great ukes, but they sound different and handle differently. The Koalohas use a unibrace instead of a more traditional fan type brace that gives it a distinctive sound in the uke world. Ponos have a beefier neck that appeals to many guitar players and gigging musicians. If you have a store nearby that sells any type of Pono tenor, I would suggest you go and try it. One comment about the Pono Macassar Ebony. It has a beautiful tone, but it is not a light uke as ebony is a very dense wood.

(Sorry for participating in the hijack of your thread, Chris.)

Shakasign.I just heard the Pono in HMS website and it sounds sweet, if you are the one to choose between koaloha and Pono Ebony which one do you pick? I tried Koaloha in one of the music store its really loud and warm. Thanks for the info.
:cool:

(Sorry for participating in the hijack of your thread, Chris.)[/QUOTE]

Kabog,

Because you're new to the ukulele, I would suggest the Koaloha. It is lightweight, extremely resonant and well setup straight from the factory. And Koaloha is legendary for their awesome customer service, which I personally have experienced.

I have one ... they are awsome ..
Kabog,

Because you're new to the ukulele, I would suggest the Koaloha. It is lightweight, extremely resonant and well setup straight from the factory. And Koaloha is legendary for their awesome customer service, which I personally have experienced.

Top Bottom