What Uke music are you listening to?

I want to start listening to brittni everything I've heard of hers I like but I haven't gotten one of her albums. I've mostly been listening to James Jill and a little jake shimabukuro and kalei gamiao

Dr Bekken - JazzBluesRagtimeVaudeville
Lil Rev - Fountain of Uke vols 1 & 2
Lyle Ritz - How About Uke?
Ukulele Club de Paris - Manuia!
The Old Spice Boys - Alibi of Birdland
Will Grove White & The Others
John King - Royal Hawaiian Music
Cliff Edwards - Singing In The Rain
The Quiet American - vol 2

Have a safe trip mate and don't do what I do and play the uke while you're driving :eek:

Ka'au Crater boys. And some plain Troy Fernandez. Wow! Can he play.

Gerald Ross
Uncle Elvis
James Hill
Lil Rev

Seasons of the Ukulele. Great variety of styles and performers all by members of UU

Check them out here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?47-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele

You too can participate. No fancy gear needed. Just you, your ukulele and some means of creating a video: phone, webcam etc are OK.

Although it's a sub forum of the contests forum, it's more like an on line open mike in a very supportive environment.

The first uke album I bought, which I highly recommend, if you like jazz, is:

A Night of Ukulele Jazz/Live At McCabe's - Lyle Ritz & Herb Ohta.

i looked up troy fernandez on youtube, and oh, wow, that dude playing ukulele on the sidewalks of Waikiki is from the Kaau Crater boys. I walked by one evening and thought, "wow, this dude is really good." Now that I know who he is, I wonder why he isn't playing in any one of the dozens of nice hotels that would hire him.

Last edited:
Brittni's CD is good, but a tad much on the backing band in my mind. Brit's great, though, just drowned out by the awesome backing band.

Taimane Gardner's 2012 CD is smoky amazing stuff. It's fast and slow and so well produced....uke is front and center, and she's such a dynamic player. Amazing stuff.

Flea Bitten Dawgs
Vedder
Jake
Aaron Keim
Craig Brandau
Kohala
Uncle Leroy
Dr. Bekken

Last edited:
i looked up troy fernandez on youtube, and oh, wow, that dude playing ukulele on the sidewalks of Waikiki is from the Kaau Crater boys. I walked by one evening and thought, "wow, this dude is really good." Now that I know who he is, I wonder why he isn't playing in any one of the dozens of nice hotels that would hire him.
My understanding is he likes to have control of his stuff. ( paraphrasing). Alas, he isn't there anymore. He moved to the mainland because of his daughter getting a recording contract.

There are so many wonderful ukulele players. I seem to go in spurts when I listen. I was on a Herb Ohta, Jr. binge for a while. Especially you tube videos of him playing with Jon Yamasato.

Same here. Also, Three Plus, not an exclusive uke band, more Jawaiian, but they've got some pretty uke lines and solos worked into their music.

The first uke album I bought, which I highly recommend, if you like jazz, is:

A Night of Ukulele Jazz/Live At McCabe's - Lyle Ritz & Herb Ohta.

No matter how much I try to diversify, I keep going back to this and other Lyle Ritz releases.

Brittni's CD is good, but a tad much on the backing band in my mind. Brit's great, though, just drowned out by the awesome backing band.

Taimane Gardner's 2012 CD is smoky amazing stuff. It's fast and slow and so well produced....uke is front and center, and she's such a dynamic player. Amazing stuff.

I actually had the same thought. Very good stuff, but produced in a way that buries some of the art and heart she puts into her playing.
Some of her YouTube videos capture her better than the production on that CD.

Listen to that CD. Then listen to the recent videos she posted of Lights and Europa. The people who produced those two videos should produce her next album. Those two tracks are off the charts beautiful.

Last edited:
Truth be told, I rarely listen to ukulele music. Heresy, I know. I may have a handful of tunes in my phone, and I hear them only when they percolate up to the top of the random queue.

I believe that a number of ukulele recording artists are ill-served by their production staff. The most common thing that drives me to distraction is the sole reliance on undersaddle piezo pickups on many recordings. (Both Brittni and Taimane are unfortunate victims of this.) I simply cannot stand the sound of a piezo by itself. It’s just one of my “things.”

I can understand the difficulties during a live performance – but if you are in a studio, then please mic that thing and blend the signals in post-production. Actually, take the raw output from the pickup, mic the instrument AND mic the amplifier. If you can’t combine those for a better, more natural sound, then I don’t know what to tell you.

I am listening to Danielle Ate The Sandwich, Sarah Maisel, Jan Laurenz, Eugene Ukulele, Seasonista's here on UU, Sophie Madeleine, Taimane Gardner, and various UU artists on the UU album Song Still Remains.

Top Bottom