How to minimize damage from heat?

Depthy

Reaction score
Say I'm going to the beach and may stay in my car for a few nights/weels with my nice ukulele, how would I minimize the damage it takes from the summer heat other than using my humifier?

For a start I would choose an instrument less likely to be affected by heat - an all laminate or plastic body (such as Flea, Fluke or Dolphin). Then keep it out of direct sunlight. Can't advise on humidifiers as that's not usually an issue in the UK. I keep a really cheap laminate uke permanently in the boot of my car and it seems to survive OK.

Loosen the string tenssion all the way.

Perhaps a near by music store will do a courtesy hold for you. Similsr to this may be to put it up for consignment sale at a high enough price so that it will still be there when you return to the music store or pawn shop.

I have seen that solar powered fan that is designed to be fastened to the top of your car window (as u roll up the window).

Sunshade every window very well.

Park in the shade.

Find one of those coin operated storage locker (train or bus stations).

Last edited:
I just bought an insulated freezer bag to keep my uke in while it's in the vehicle. I've also put larger instruments (guitar, banjo) in a sleeping bag. Still, I wouldn't leave an acoustic instrument in a hot vehicle for very long anyway.

-Don

I just bought an insulated freezer bag to keep my uke in while it's in the vehicle. I've also put larger instruments (guitar, banjo) in a sleeping bag. Still, I wouldn't leave an acoustic instrument in a hot vehicle for very long anyway.

-Don

Insulated freezer bag? Ill have to look that up.

Don't take your nice one. Don't do it!

I'm scared, I know... but it's my electric and I want to use my amp to busk on the beach!

Put it in an ice chest with some ice (ice low, uke supported out of the inevitable water). I agree that you should get a cheap laminate uke for this venture.

"Insulated freezer bag? Ill have to look that up."

Well, that's what I call them. I just did a search and the more common name is insulated grocery bag (mine says "Thermal Tote"). We keep one in my wife's car to put cold stuff in on the way back from the grocery store. They're around $10 or so.

-Don

"Insulated freezer bag? Ill have to look that up."

Well, that's what I call them. I just did a search and the more common name is insulated grocery bag (mine says "Thermal Tote"). We keep one in my wife's car to put cold stuff in on the way back from the grocery store. They're around $10 or so.

-Don

It depends on time. An insulated freezer bag will protect a uke for a while. An otherwise empty ice chest will protect it longer. An ice chest with ice in it will protect it longer still. how long must the uke remain in the car until you return and let the accumulated heat out?

It depends on time. An insulated freezer bag will protect a uke for a while. An otherwise empty ice chest will protect it longer. An ice chest with ice in it will protect it longer still. how long must the uke remain in the car until you return and let the accumulated heat out?

I was camping once and had an ice chest full of food in my trunk. I put a uke next to it and then threw an open sleeping bag over them both, so the uke was nestled next to the full ice chest. A few hours later the uke, under the sleeping bag, was cool to the touch, and the outside of the ice chest was quite cold. But that was a $60 travel uke.

The risk is that the glue softens, allowing parts to move around. Most commonly this is bridges or bracing. Either they pop loose completely or (perhaps worse) they move and then the glue hardens again when the parts are in a different place. Somewhere around 140 degrees F (60C) is the danger point, depending on the glues used, and I'd want to keep my uke a fair way below that temperature. Inside a car (including the boot/trunk) can easily get this hot.

Humidity swings can lead to cracks, and salt in the air might corrode tuners (but probably requires repeat exposure).

If you can work out how to avoid these then you'll be OK, but the heat problem might be the hardest (unless you're from the UK where there is currently no risk at all, as it's just far enough above freezing for that not to be a further problem).

Believe it or not, the issue of cars and heat used to be a big issue in the days when cameras used film...

The trunk of the car is the coolest place. No sun coming in, etc.

I would, if I had to, keep it there. I also would carry a cheaper laminate model, and detension the strings as mentioned before.

Or carry it with you all the time.

Top Bottom