Possible scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

evert.tan

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know that I recently sold an M80 case to a user that claims he did not receive the case. I looked at the tracking info and it confirms delivery to his paypal address. He messages me stating he did not receive the case yet and if I had any tracking info. Basically, he was hoping that I didn't have tracking info and then claim a refund via Paypal. I just noticed he had ONE post and opened his accound on 5/10/13, only a day after I posted my mono case (5/9/13). Does this guy think he is slick? Unbelievable what people try to do to others.

I'm not taking sides here, but want to point out that tracking and/or delivery confirmation are not the same thing as "signature required" where a live body has to actually accept a package.

A package left on your doorstep all day, in plain sight of anyone walking by, can be easily stolen. Or what if it was actually delivered to the wrong address? I get mis-directed mail all the time... makes me wonder how much of my stuff is going to the wrong place as well.

At one time there was some discussion of limiting Marketplace access to those with a certain period of tenure or postcount, but nothing ever came of it.

I'm not taking sides here, but want to point out that tracking and/or delivery confirmation are not the same thing as "signature required" where a live body has to actually accept a package.

A package left on your doorstep all day, in plain sight of anyone walking by, can be easily stolen. Or what if it was actually delivered to the wrong address? I get mis-directed mail all the time... makes me wonder how much of my stuff is going to the wrong place as well.

At one time there was some discussion of limiting Marketplace access to those with a certain period of tenure or postcount, but nothing ever came of it.

I agree, but with USPS Priority Mail, they cannot leave a package at the doorstep. Someone at least has to open the door or pick up the package at the post office. Of course, no signature is required, but a live person does need to accept the package.

I agree, but with USPS Priority Mail, they cannot leave a package at the doorstep. Someone at least has to open the door or pick up the package at the post office. Of course, no signature is required, but a live person does need to accept the package.

Not true unless it's insured - it's up to the discretion of the postal carrier. My postal carrier leaves USPS priority mail on my doorstep (or, more often, the neighbors') ALL the time. Sometimes it takes a few days before it actually shows up on MY doorstep, even though the tracking number tells me it was delivered days ago.

wHAT IS HIS USER NAME?

[edit: please can we leave names out of this thread. A public call out is inappropriate at this point, thanks. eugene]

It's just VERY suspicious that he decides to buy a mono case only 1 day after he signs up. Oh well, if he tries to start a dispute with paypal I can give them the delivery confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
When was it supposedly delivered? In my experience, the USPS tracking will occasionally show that the package was delivered, but the package won't actually arrive until a few days after.

Have you or the buyer contacted the post office to see if they can look into it?

While it is possible that the buyer is telling the truth, this one does sound quite fishy. Hopefully he loses the Paypal dispute if he indeed is a scammer. But I think this shows the importance of choosing a buyer when you have that luxury.

Not true unless it's insured - it's up to the discretion of the postal carrier. My postal carrier leaves USPS priority mail on my doorstep (or, more often, the neighbors') ALL the time. Sometimes it takes a few days before it actually shows up on MY doorstep, even though the tracking number tells me it was delivered days ago.

Same for me as well. The mailman usually just leaves it at our door, even if it was sent via Priority Mail.

It's just VERY suspicious that he decides to buy a mono case only 1 day after he signs up. Oh well, if he tries to start a dispute with paypal I can give them the delivery confirmation.

It could be that he signed up for the forum in order to contact you?

In any case, I hope you get it sorted out.

Wow, I really hope it wasn't a scam. As for my personal experience with USPS Priority, it has definitely been left unattended and could have been stolen. I've also had tracking say it was delivered and that a note had been left... when in fact the place of business was open with the door open and no note was left nor attempted delivery. The package did end up being delivered the next day or two and all was fine. Just saying that USPS Priority is far from perfect, and things happen. Of course it could still be a scam, but just don't feel that what USPS says is gold. My 2 cents.

Well he just told me the package was at his doorstep today. Although I am surprised because it should have been there WAY earlier, according to USPS. Phew. I am so glad I had delivery confirmation on it. The outcome might have been different if i hadn't. Going to be very wary in the future selling to a new member with low post count.

Last edited:
So it's been confirmed he took possession of delivery and all is good?

Once I was waiting for a Priority Mail ebay purchase and at some point it was marked as "delivered" but I never got it. So I inquired at the post office and the postmaster said they marked the delivery confirmations as "delivered" when they arrived at the P.O. in the morning. So if it had been lost in the truck or misdelivered, I wouldn't have had any recourse with ebay/paypal or the shipper. It was only a $10 thing and it showed up in my mailbox a couple days later, but it's yet another way things can go wrong.

Well he just told me the package was at his doorstep today. Although I am surprised because it should have been there WAY earlier, according to USPS. Phew. I am so glad I had delivery confirmation on it. The outcome might have been different if i hadn't. Going to be very wary in the future selling to a new member with low post count.

A couple of things..

First, pleased this has all been resolved for you. Second, please refrain from publicly naming folks without certainty that they are in fact guilty of what they are being accused of. This is utterly unfair to the reputation of our members, whether they be new or old. Finally, please let's not perpetuate the myth that someone with a low post count is a less worthy or trustworthy member than others who post often. There is no basis for such a view. Well began at zero.

I don't know what the actual rules are but I have received priority mail delivered to my doorstep as opposed to my rural mailbox 200 ft away from the front door. They'll even put it into a plastic bag if the weather is iffy.

Probably depends on where you live, the relative isolation of your address, house vs. apartment and the informal policies of the local postmaster.

On a related note, I recently learned the hard way that if you send a package to an address at the buyers request that isn't the same as their registered Paypal address. Paypal will cover you even if you have tracking, invoices and whatever.

When I first saw this I thought "come on, who would bother to scam someone for a uke case? (I assume that's what a mono case is)." That thought still sticks with me. Now, ipods, ipads, gold coins, actual instruments that could be sold, whatever - but a uke case? Not so likely.

dt

Given my experience with USPS tracking (and insurance) I'd be more likely to be wary of the USPS than a buyer/seller. It's the most inaccurate tracking of any I have to deal with (and I receive a fair amount and ship, as part of my job, as well).

As others have stated, it shows delivered when it arrives at the end point POSTAL facility, not necessarily the actual end point. Can be very frustrating. I tend to not plug USPS tracking into my tracking app anymore - I've shown delivered only to wait another 1-5 days for it to show up. UPS and FedEx - while having their own issues - are WAY more accurate and consistent for tracking purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom