The "While waiting for an Outdoor Uke, I bought a Dolphin for my wife" thread

bborzell

Reaction score
The "While waiting for an Outdoor Uke, I bought a Dolphin for my wife" thread

Actually, since I took on ukes way back in March, my wife has picked up one of my tenors every so often and has strummed a bit. She seemed to enjoy playing around with the ukes but also mentioned that she thought her hands were too small for the tenor neck.

That was what got me to thinking about knocking off two birds with the ODU. I could have a knock around uke and she would have something to pick up and see if she gets interested.

Cute is a feature that sometimes goes a long way in initially getting my wife's attention and the ODU, while looking a bit more industrial to me (I have an aluminum lap steel guitar that was, oddly enough, manufactured by a company called Industrial Guitars), she looked at the ODU website and anointed the ODU cute.

Well, that was nearly 2 months ago and in order to strike while the iron has not cooled off completely, I asked her what she thought about a guitar with a light blue sunburst color to which she replied, "What, another guitar? Are you planning on adding another room to the house?"

I assurred her that no new guitars were in the immediate future and that I was simply wondering what a soft pastel instrument might look like to a person with a keen eye for fashion and color. She thought it might look fine and so I secretly ordered her a light blue sunburst Makala Dolphin uke for the outrageous investment of $42. Oh, I picked up a set of Martin M600 strings, just in case.

It arrived today and the strings sounded and smelled like they were previously used to land small mouth bass. So I swapped them out with the Martins I had ordered. I must say that the ODU now has a tonal mark to beat. I'm very impressed with what $42 gets for a new player. These things sound very pleasing.

She gets to see it tonight.

Last edited:
:biglaugh:

Gotta love it. Thread title and all. Good choice, she'll love it!

That's great. The first time I ever changed strings, I put M600s on a Dolphin. I love mine, and she'll love hers.

Top Bottom