Is this a Sopranino or a Piccolo?

Phooto

Reaction score
I just got one of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...eASIN=B00CSTSF44&linkCode=as2&tag=phooto00-21 - which I reviewed (links below).

I'm confused though, is it a Sopranino, or a Piccolo Ukulele? The size seems to match Wikipedia's definition of a Sopranino, but Omega refer to it as a Piccolo. Is that because the tuning is an octave higher? Maybe it's both...

I'd appreciate definition, so I know what I've got!

Video review here -

Written review is here.

I've had it for a couple of days now, its brilliant fun!

hey Simon, I think you'll find it's a piccolo mate, looks to be a shorter scale than a sopranino: the octave higher and 1/2 size is what differentiates traditional piccolos from their bigger siblings in the woodwind family. Sopraninos aren't as small.

There's also another guy who builds piccolo ukes out of Sweden if you really find you take to that scale: Sven at Argapa Ukuleles.

Looks very cute and lots of fun. Nice review too. :)

There is no "official" definition. Most Sopranos are 13.5-13.7", I have an old banjo uke that is in the high 12's. The Ohana Sk-21 has an 11.9" scale. I think Sven's Piccolo's have an 11.3" scale.

Thanks for that Foto ;) You passed my "How to add tension to your video" test. I was terrified you'd lean back and crush that beautiful puss, which I think you were genuinely unaware was behind you at one point. Then there was the added tension of dreading that your arm was going to brush off that brilliant (and expensive) little Zoom Recorder that had been nonchalantly left on the arm of the chair! Hitchcock couldn't have made that review more tense! ;) Many happy hours strumming!

Thanks for that Foto ;) You passed my "How to add tension to your video" test. I was terrified you'd lean back and crush that beautiful puss, which I think you were genuinely unaware was behind you at one point. Then there was the added tension of dreading that your arm was going to brush off that brilliant (and expensive) little Zoom Recorder that had been nonchalantly left on the arm of the chair! Hitchcock couldn't have made that review more tense! ;) Many happy hours strumming!
Yes, I didn't realise she was behind me! I'll try to make them more relaxed next time!

Top Bottom