Season 66: Gabba Gabba Hey!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

Reaction score
May 19 is a special day for lovers of rock and roll. It's the day we say, "Happy birthday, Joey Ramone!"

The Ramones are one the best bands in rock history, but somehow, they never achieved mainstream success. Their fiery brand of rock and roll did, however, touch hearts and souls (and crush eardrums) around the world for over twenty years. To celebrate Joey's birthday this week, we'll be playing the music of the Ramones! Gabba gabba hey!!

To make this Season a real challenge for everyone, there are a couple of special

RULES

(1) NO REPEATS AMONG ENTRIES!

Your song choice cannot repeat any other participant's song choice. Ramones songs aren't complicated---that's part of their appeal---so no reason to have more than one entry for any given song. If a fellow Seasonista plays your favorite Ramones song, learn another one! But don't worry, you will not have learned your favorite Ramones song in vain, since

(2) BONUS TRACKS MUST BE REPEATS!

Bonus tracks must be songs already submitted as entries (or bonus tracks). Hearing more than one take on a great song is always fun. If you like another participant's entry (or bonus track), let that serve as inspiration to play it (and share it) yourself.

ENTRY GUIDELINES

1. Your entry must feature you playing a song by the Ramones on your uke, posted to this thread no later than 11:59 pm (Hawaii time) Sunday, May 26th.
  2. In your video, say (or use titles to say) "This is my entry for the 66th Season of the Ukulele" (or any words to that effect).
  3. Your video must be one continuous take (both video and audio---no edits, no multi-tracking).
  4. Your ukulele must be front and center---feel free to have friends, family, or machines accompany you on any instruments they'd like to play.

JUDGING

My wife Jessica, who suffered possibly life-long hearing damage after seeing the Ramones in the 90s, and I will be judging using the following criteria:

• playing
  • singing (or melody for an instrumental entry)
  • performance (personality, attitude, creative approach to arrangement)
  • setting (Converse All-Stars, blue jeans, and leather jackets can't hurt)
  • je ne sais quoi (that special CBGB & OMFUG something)

Playing and singing won't be judged for technical quality, but will be judged for communication quality---how well your uke and your voice communicate your personality to our ears.

PRIZES

The 1st place winner get her or his choice of
  • a Ramones Anthology double CD
  • a CBGB and OMFUG t-shirt
2nd place winner gets the remaining prize.

PLAYLISTS

OFFICIAL ENTRIES
BONUS TRACKS

I'll hold off on individual comments until the end of the week, then I'll post a chrimess-style comment video with some love for every entry when I announce the winners.

RESOURCE

peewee kindly posted this link to tabs of ALL the Ramones songs. (Also downloadable as .crd files, which open in TextEdit on a Mac).

HEY! HO! LET'S GO!!

Last edited:
Have I died and gone to Seasons Heaven?

oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god
I love you Ralf.
I have never loved a band like I love the Ramones...
Brace yourself folks, this is going to be a long week of enduring the Cloverdale Kid.
You know, we had a qualifier on our marriage. My wife had to see the RAMONES once before I would marry her. She is a trooper.
Gabba Gabba we accept you

Last edited:
Since the only Ramones songs I think I've ever knowingly heard are "Rock n' Roll High School" and "Rockaway Beach", I look forward to watching this season - especially since my friends TCK and Fitncrafty are both HUGE Ramones fans.

I think they made the scene when I was a DJ in West Virginia... I worked at a Top Forty Station when "Saturday Night Fever" and "You Light Up My Life" dominated the airwaves...

And I took refuge from disco by listening to Folk Music, Country Music, Country Rock, and Jazz.

So I missed he Ramones.

(But I found Ann and Nancy Wilson, 38 Special, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Doctor Hook's Traveling Medicine Show, Hubert Laws, Bob James, Nat Adderly, Tom T. Hall, Bobby Bare, [BOTH]The Outlaws, Waylon & Willie... and many others.)

Time to get re-educated.

-Kurt​

First posted Ramones vid! I wanted to get my song in early this week since there's only one version of each song allowed for official entries. This is Needles and Pins (written by Jack Nitzsche and Sonny Bono) which the Ramones covered on their 1978 album Road to Ruin.

It's rather rough - I didn't practice it as much as I should have...

First posted Ramones vid! I wanted to get my song in early this week since there's only one version of each song allowed for official entries. This is Needles and Pins (written by Jack Nitzsche and Sonny Bono) which the Ramones covered on their 1978 album Road to Ruin.

It's rather rough - I didn't practice it as much as I should have...
GREAT STARTER! In my humble opinion, this is about the best Ramones album (thought I love them all)- great job Myrna! Now I have one to do as a bonus :)
There's no stoppin' the Cretin from hoppin'

Last edited:
I Don't Want to Grow Up. Tom Waits. The Ramones did a cover.
With very annoying rogue moustache hair.

Was going to wait for the starters gun of midnight Hawaiian time but hey it looks like we're off.

I Don't Want to Grow Up. Tom Waits. The Ramones did a cover.
With very annoying rogue moustache hair.
Was going to wait for the starters gun of midnight Hawaiian time but hey it looks like we're off.
Nicely sung pabrizzer! Since Ralf didn't specifically say we had to wait I decided to post early instead of waiting up till 1:01AM to post (we're one hour ahead of Hawaii).

Nicely sung pabrizzer! Since Ralf didn't specifically say we had to wait I decided to post early instead of waiting up till 1:01AM to post (we're one hour ahead of Hawaii).
Yes it's pretty easy for me to post right on the deadline because it is only 8:00pm on Sunday evening here in Oz.
I did go so close to doing Needles and Pins - had the chords done and did a few run throughs but went with Tom Waits song instead.
I only know of the Ramones from the little I have seen doing research here to find a song.

love the ramones! this is a direct steal from GUGUG's version of blitzkrieg bop...wanted to get it in early!

if you don't know gugug, check them out! they are wonderful!!

love the ramones! this is a direct steal from GUGUG's version of blitzkrieg bop...wanted to get it in early!

if you don't know gugug, check them out! they are wonderful!!

Good to see you in early SD. Usual high standard of performance too.
But I was kind of hoping your shadow dancer would be come a fixture in your videos.

Oh Ralf, you’ve really laid down the gauntlet with this one. NO REPEAT entries. Well I’ve managed to download the chords and learn this and upload within 2 hours so its VERY raw but hey I’m sure that was part of your devious plan. So here is my very poor rendition of “I wanna be sedated” before anyone else enters it although I must admit, I was thinking of renaming it "Ralf is a sadist" but it doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. Can I also confirm that no drugs were harmed in the making of this video. Also as I cannot read the lyrics without my glasses I had to fit my cool looking sunglasses over the top of my specs. I’m sure you can’t notice though ;-)
This is gonna be a fun theme this week.

RAMONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! This is going to be fantastic!

baseball bats for brats, the KKK, teenage lobotomies , punks, so many choices, where did I put my distortion pedal? I bet some are going to have a ball with this. hey ho

great theme Ralf, i to love the Ramones, was busy recording my entry for week 65 this afternoon, so thought i better get in quick with a song for this week, :)

Sheena (Is A Punk Rocker)

Don't quite know what was going on with the input levels, but what the hey?

Using a Danelectro Honeytone belt-clip amp (overdriven, natch!) and my Clearwater
danelectro-honeytone-mini-guitar-amp-blackl.jpg

Edit #1: Somehow a whole three minutes of faffing about prior to me actually doing the song has inadvertently got uploaded. The faffing does include a bit of industrial language I'm afraid. I'm in the process of trimming down the posted video, but in the meantime please do yourselves and me a favour and skip through to 3min 24 secs.
Edit #2: Well, trimming the posted video didn't work, so I've deleted it and replaced it with the trimmed-down version I originally tried posting this morning. Eight hours to post a 2 minute video. Madness.

Last edited:
... and of course it sounds better when you've 18 female bandmates to carry the tune

Top Bottom