View Full Version : I made my own behind the strings humidifier

05-19-2013, 08:05 AM
I made my own case humidifiers a while back after being dissapointed with the retail ones I had tried, and they've been working great. When it came time to get a behind the strings humidifier for my new Kanile'a I figured I'd take a crack at it again. Here's what I came up with:


Here's a picture of it in the uke:


I purchased the Nalgene vial from Organized Living. I drilled holes only through the top part of the vial, as I didn't want water potentially leaking out for any reason. I also bought a plastic automotive hole cover and nylon spacer from Lowe's for the top. I'm using Nutrimoist potting gel as my filler.

It rests perfectly on the strings, doesn't contact the body of the uke on the inside, and according to my hygrometer is working exactly as hoped. Total cost was about $3.

Nothing like being cheap to spur ingenuity! ;)

Ukester Brown
05-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I've seen some people use a sandwich bag with holes punched in it and an anti-bacterial kitchen sponge. Cheap is great!

05-19-2013, 08:33 AM
My only concern there would be mold, but I suppose an antibacterial sponge is probably safe.

05-19-2013, 08:57 AM
I like that knob on top! I have a homemade case humidifier made with gel crystals, and I've been thinking about making a hanging version. Thanks for the idea!

05-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Just made one too. ;)

It slips through the strings and sits on the bottom inside the uke. Large top button stays on top of the strings for retrieval. The little poly box is self-hinged and has a secure clasp. Filled with a piece of florists foam.

Obviously not meant for the ODU it's perched on for the pic.

05-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Love to see all the ways people are doing stuff here.