Ukes with straps?

vct33

Reaction score
Been playing my first ukelele for a few months now and it's the Epiphone Les Paul Acoustic/Electric. I love the instrument but I'm read to step up to a nice, traditional ukulele. The thing is, I LOVE that this uke has strap buttons so I can wear a strap. Are there any traditional ukes with strap buttons or has anybody installed buttons on their ukes?

Lots of people install strap buttons on all kinds of ukes---if that's what you like, go for it!

I've had strap buttons professionally installed on many ukes, from Kalas to Kamakas. On the higher end, Mya-Moe and Compass Rose ukes come with a strap button.

I recently started using a strap. I gotta say...I love it. It just feels better. And more secure.

I love having strap buttons too. I think putting 2 on a concert or tenor is good but I wouldn't put 2 on a soprano I think it would look weird however if you get a pickup it you can use that and put the other end at the head

If you have a variable speed hand drill it is very easy to do yourself. If you have no experience hanging a curtain rod or something similar, have someone else do it for you.

A very simple task IF you have the right tools.

Just ALWAYS drill a pilot hole. Don't chance a split.

The bit for the pilot hole should be the same diameter as the shaft portion of the button screw. WITHOUT the extra diameter of the threads.

Don't drill deeper than necessary. Measure the length of the button screw that extends beneath the bottom of the strap buttons and mark the drilling depth on the drill bit.

Don't over-tighten the strap button mounting screws.

When one looks at the price or a single or double of strap buttons it makes me wonder why they cost so much when a package of 24 is $17 with the shipping paid. They are by D'Adaria at Music 123 or Musicians Friend. If you don't necessarily want a button, but you are getting a conventional shape ukulele, The Mobius Strap is a great way to go. Any strap which does not support the body seems to me to be a gimmick. It puts far less body dampening with the Mobius Strip than what one does with an arm trying to maintain control.

Thanks so much for the replies. This information will motivate me to get even more serious about finding my next uke soon.

If it's just a strap you want, I second (or third) the Mobius Strap. Wearing one right now.

But if you're going to do a strap button, why stop there? Why not put in a pickup too? The ones from JJB Electronics are great (and cheap!)

I've had buttions installed for $8 and that includes the button. FWIW

stan

Top Bottom