Andiroba, Royal Mahogany

Might I suggest that instead of a snappy, "Never heard of it", you go over to Google...maybe two key strokes away, and look it up:

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/andiroba/

That was at the top of the page...and there's more...

Research tools are right at your fingertips; why so hard?

And apropos of Pete's "luthier" thread, why does it seem that the older luthiers around here are better at doing Internet research than the younger ones? I hardly ever shoot my mouth off without doing at least a little research, even on subjects I'm familiar with. I use Google for research and background checks at least six times a day. I don't need to be showing off my ignorance! And I'd like to know more...about everything.

The HVLP thread got me deep into seeing if there was anything really new and great that might be better than the great SATA guns I'm currently using. So now I know...not yet...though I do have some ideas for designing a modern pressure assist gun with the 3M PPS setup as well. Pressure assist HVLP is great for heavier viscosity materials...better atomization The 3M system is utterly fantastic, but doesn't accommodate pressure assist...a miniature version of pressure pot guns. Yeah, look it all up... It's all at your fingertips.

And Ken beat me to the punch...while exactly proving my point about Googling and old fart luthiers being better at this computer game than the too-impatient younger crowd. s**, we used to have to go to the encyclopedia or to the library. Now I'm really showing my age...

perhaps I should have articulated my question better. I have a lot of general info on the wood and the tree, as it is common here in Costa Rica. I had hoped that someone on this board might know something about this wood in relation to musical instruments, as my google search of UU resulted in very little information, but a few comments hinting at the use of Carapa species in ukuleles. Furthermore, I am not interested in whatever comments about wood versus builders skill. I am merely looking for anyone who has built with this wood that might be able to share some remarks. Either way I will build with it and draw my own conclusions. I appreciate the comments that you have never heard of the wood. It is helpful to get an idea of how foreign a species may or may not be to a specific market.

The wood is Meliaceae, that makes it (albeit distantly) related to Swietenia, Cedrela, Toonia, Khaya, and a huge number of other species of related tropical hardwoods. (That is, Mahogany, Spanish Cedar, Toon, and African Mahogany.) Its mechanical characteristics make it very similar to Swietenia, but it can be darker than Khaya and at times almost as soft as Cedrela. The way it breaks and tears out reminds me of California Redwood, to which it has no relation. However, I have not built with it yet, I am only excited to try.

I like this site for wood ID because he has several pictures of different samples.
http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/andiroba.htm

I have some of this wood and didn't know what it was. I regularly rob a buddy's millwork shop for his drops, and it was among that. I cut a rough neck of it, but didn't care for the way the grain tears out, like you said, but that is as far as I got with it.

I don't see how you can go too far wrong trying it.

I just jump in and build with different woods; there's nobody who's going to tell me how well they work for my instruments better than myself.

Do some deflection testing; do some tap testing. Then just build. Ukes are remarkably tolerant of a lot of different woods. The California sycamore I build with has the tap tone of damp shirt cardboard; it makes just fine sounding ukes...

With all due respect, I've found that some of the "old school" luthiers here have much shorter fuses than the new guys, too...

It's easier, kinder, and takes a lot less time to ignore those posts that piss you off.

With all due respect, I've found that some of the "old school" luthiers here have much shorter fuses than the new guys, too...

It's easier, kinder, and takes a lot less time to ignore those posts that piss you off.

Oh - and that said, I really enjoy the comments they old school guys make here. I can't say I disagree with comments about Google and all that...but hearing from "the horse's mouth" just has a certain appeal.

Top Bottom