PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is dumping their concerts!

coolkayaker1
05-20-2013, 02:37 AM
:cool:

On UU Marketplace right now, there is a Mya Moe supersoprano (concert scale neck), plus a Mya Moe concert, and also true concerts by Collings, Loprinzi, Kiwaya, Kanilea, Mainland, Big Island, KoAloha and even DaSilva.

Egads! Concerts are either the most popular size uke--or the least. LOL
Maybe they really are the "Jan Brady" of the uke world.

Great deals to be had by concert lovers, indeed. :D

ChrisRCovington
05-20-2013, 02:39 AM
People have finally figured out the only real ukulele size is sopranos. ::ducks::

coolkayaker1
05-20-2013, 02:41 AM
People have finally figured out the only real ukulele size is sopranos. ::ducks::
(chucks rotten tomatoes at stage).:)

Cornfield
05-20-2013, 03:07 AM
I find myself playing Soprano, tenor, baritone and guitar. The concert is my least played uke. Maybe if I had one those fancy dancy mega buckaroo concerts instead of my Oscar Schmidt.....

kvehe
05-20-2013, 03:11 AM
Good thing I've come to love them.

wayfarer75
05-20-2013, 03:37 AM
Concert size is awesome.

ChaosToo
05-20-2013, 05:09 AM
My favourite size too - I'll keep my eye on the marketplace in case any nice ones come up! :D

mattydee
05-20-2013, 05:14 AM
It's my go-to size, though I do have one of each. But I consistently reach for the concert first.

vanflynn
05-20-2013, 05:18 AM
I've always thought it strange that in the "what size do you play" polls that the concert percentage is usually close to tenor but there are always more tenors for sale. I guess we need a "how many of each size" poll

hoosierhiver
05-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Concerts are my favorite size, partially becaue I tend to walk around the house or yard when I play and tenors seem a little too long for that sometimes.

teruterubouzu
05-20-2013, 06:15 AM
My concert is the most comfortable to play. I love it!

RichM
05-20-2013, 06:21 AM
I started on a concert, moved to tenors, and after about two years, I find myself gravitating back to concerts again. I like the punchiness of a soprano but often need the extra fretting space on the tenor. The concert is the perfect compromise; in fact, my first (and possibly only) custom will be a concert. I'm almost sorry I comissioned it, as there are so many wonderful concerts showing up on the marketplace!

bnolsen
05-20-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm on the fence. I really like the soprano portability and size, but the concert makes those barre 'dim' chords (like Cdim) a little easier to get. Almost makes me wonder if I should test the "super soprano" waters.

Dan Uke
05-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Concerts are those that want the best of both worlds: sound of the soprano and comfort of a tenor...too bad these products fail most of the time!! You can probably include tenors too as being a hybrid of the concert and baritone. I better sell my tenors too now!! :p

Dan Uke
05-20-2013, 06:37 AM
Cool Cow is in the market for your MBU.

You're not anymore? Does that mean you got on the list to be on the list? LOL

bnolsen
05-20-2013, 06:41 AM
You can probably include tenors too as being a hybrid of the concert and baritone.

Baritones are just so guitarists can claim they play ukulele (sometimes its fun to troll).

Tootler
05-20-2013, 07:48 AM
I just bought a concert ukulele.

erivel
05-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Concert is the only size I don't own......yet.

Concerts are those that want the best of both worlds: sound of the soprano and comfort of a tenor...too bad these products fail most of the time!! You can probably include tenors too as being a hybrid of the concert and baritone. I better sell my tenors too now!! :p

Daniel, put me on the list for your MB tenor if you ever sell it! :)

UkueBass23
05-20-2013, 08:19 AM
I went in the concert direction for a little while (from a resolute soprano guy who said he would never play a concert) because I prefer the Low G sound on a concert. I now have two but am thinking of selling one for another soprano, which would give me all sopranos except one (strung low G). I think I can justify having more than one soprano around but not more than one concert. Weird I know, but I am really a soprano guy from the start and have no desire to own a tenor (not that I wouldn't keep one around if I got a really nice one as a gift, say, hint hint). I am way more interested in the sound now than in the way a uke looks or what brand it is.

my two cents....

HBolte
05-20-2013, 09:21 AM
I have not played my tenor in a couple of months. I'm probably at 70/30 concert/soprano. Tenor will go up for sale here or ebay soon.

aquadan
05-20-2013, 09:28 AM
I mostly play my longneck pineapple, I find it more fun than the tenors. Next purchase will most likely be a concert.

Stevelele
05-20-2013, 09:46 AM
I have owned many concerts in the past, but got rid of them all except my Ohta san. I like concerts but have found that some maker make tenors a bit smaller than others which does the trick for me.

Raygf
05-20-2013, 11:13 AM
My Surf Flea, KoAloha long neck soprano and soon to arrive Firefly all have concert necks. I'd love a solid myrtle Glyph concert, but Dave is not taking orders. I played a new one someone brought by the house last year and I fell in love. Maybe some day!

ichadwick
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Clearly not EVERYONE is dumping their concert ukuleles. I, for one, haven't dumped one. I know other uke players who have yet to "dump" a concert uke. The exception disproves your claim.

Actually I haven't dumped a single ukulele ever, size notwithstanding. I've sold a few, traded a few, given a few away. But never dumped one.

mkatz
05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
I am selling a concert currently but they are still my favorite. My Mya-Moe concert is my go to uke although I enjoy playing all sizes.

Mitch

Nickie
05-20-2013, 03:29 PM
I can't figure out why the disdain from some about the concert uke...that's all I can play...and that's really fine with me...

rem50
05-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Love the concert size for picking leads ( I can barely do that at this time). Think the soprano is the most fun for a strum, as for tenor, I ordered a Boat Paddle and it should be here in a couple days and will see where that fits in my uke life!

GASguy
05-20-2013, 03:42 PM
I just purchased that used DaSilva concert in purpleheart and spruce.

It is loud, punchy and pleasantly warm sounding, despite having what you would think of as a bright tone wood combo.

A great uke that also happens to be a concert uke!

Bao
05-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I'd love to play a concert, it beats bringing my tenor in the hard case everywhere!...Only problem being money ahah

singh44s
05-20-2013, 11:43 PM
I started on a concert, and am now bouncing between it and a tenor-necked "giraffe".

I'm finding that the width of the tenor neck fits my (deceptively giant) fingertips for note picking, but the distance between frets is a big distraction. If I ever go the custom route, i'll order it with a wider-width concert neck.

TG&Y
05-21-2013, 03:19 PM
More for me!

:cool:

On UU Marketplace right now, there is a Mya Moe supersoprano (concert scale neck), plus a Mya Moe concert, and also true concerts by Collings, Loprinzi, Kiwaya, Kanilea, Mainland, Big Island, KoAloha and even DaSilva.

Egads! Concerts are either the most popular size uke--or the least. LOL

Great deals to be had by concert lovers, indeed. :D

ralphk
05-22-2013, 04:25 AM
I seem to be playing my concerts more and more. I think they sound very nice.

coolkayaker1
05-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Nice replies and perspectives.

I think all that I posted about originally have now been snapped up!

Me, too, thanks, DocJ.:rolleyes::D

You must post about that unique Dasilva, GASguy, when you get it.

vanflynn
05-22-2013, 05:14 AM

So, whattcha got against Jan Brady anyway???

coolkayaker1
05-22-2013, 05:16 AM
"All I ever hear is Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" Vanflynn. lol "It's always tenor, tenor, tenor!"

The memorable Paul December thread.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?70480-Jan-Brady-Syndrome&highlight=brady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZHveWFvqM

A.H.
05-22-2013, 01:41 PM
If someone wants to dump there Makai LC 80j on me, or trade for my Kala Mango Tenor, give me a holler!

Pueo
05-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I have a two concerts, a mini-concert, and a grand concert. Oh, and three tenors and a baritone and a soprano. My favorites to play are the Mini-concert and the Grand concert, with my Pono Tenor right up there too.