Iz . . .

Kanaka916

Reaction score
Hey all, today is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole aka Iz birthday and he would have been 54. Hau`oli La Hanau . . . you will always be remembered.

The first time I heard "White Sandy Beach" was on the radio driving from our hotel to Honolulu Airport to fly home after the first trip my wife and I made to Hawaii together as a couple. We were both in tears, sad to leave such a beautiful place.

After I bought my first ukulele, "Henehene Kou `Aka" was one of the first songs I learned to play. "Ka Pua 'Ui" is another one of my favorite Iz songs.

It is so sad that he did not get to spend more time on Earth. I am glad that he was able to share his gift with all of us and continue to inspire us all.

Hau`oli la hanau!

His Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World medley is what got me interested in the ukulele and we played that song at the end of my Dad's memorial service last year.

Shame he couldn't stay longer. Great voice.

He and Jake really brought uke back into the limelight.....two great masters from Hawaii..... and of course James Hill of Canada...those are my top 3 best ukers
He had a great voice and was Uker always first...and a Palolo boy.... I always think if he was still here, how much more he would have contributed to music and the ukulele
We miss you bruddah iz....thank you for all you've done for music and the ukulele....Hauoli La Hanau bruddah.... Mahalo Plentee I know you still playing your ukulele up there...

Dey ste making music up dea, him, Braddah Skippy, John and all da odda great Hawaiian musicians. As one big Kanikapila goin on.

Top Bottom