PDA

View Full Version : Who Are Your Top Four Ukers That Inspires You To Play the Ukulele..

mm stan
05-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Let Me Start....:)
1) Bruddah Iz
2) Jake Shimabukuro
3) James Hill
4) Aldrine G.

Pueo
05-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Kimo Hussey
Aldrine
Flea Bitten Dawgs
Rio Saito

Hippie Dribble
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Dr Bekken
John Bianchi
Cliff Edwards
Lil Rev

But there are so many wonderful, inspiring players out there. I could go on and on and... :)

connor013
05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I owe a lot to Aldrine and his lessons, but the style/sound I'm chasing is a combo of (in no particular order):

Eugene Ukulele
Dr. Bekken
Aaron Keim

(Three is plenty for me to emulate at the moment!)

Stevelele
05-20-2013, 12:20 PM
1) Corey
2) That "I'm Yours" baby who can play better than me
3) Japanese people
4) Warren Buffet

mm stan
05-20-2013, 12:30 PM
I am so Shameful, I forgot my Tassie Buddy Eugene Ukulele :)
Maybe I should have made it 5 top ukers....Geez

Kanaka916
05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
You like I change 'um, da title I mean . . .

vanflynn
05-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Not inspire as much as help appreciate the Uke

Bill Tapia
Troy Fernandez
Brittni Paiva
Herb Ohta

7warriorlion
05-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Not inspire as much as help appreciate the Uke

Bill Tapia
Troy Fernandez
Brittni Paiva
Herb Ohta

Who are my top four ukulelists who inspire me to play the ukulele?
http://kaleigamiao.com/
http://www.brittnipaiva.com/home.cfm
http://kimohussey.com/
http://www.easyukulele.com/troy-fernandez.html

mm stan
05-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Oh Oh I like Sarah Maisel too... :)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Sorry, but there are many more than four for me. I'm most inspired day-to-day by the participants in the Seasons of the Ukulele contests. Viva las Seasonistas!!

As for famous uke players, I love Eddie Kamae, Herb Ohta, May Singhi Breen, and Cliff Edwards.

7warriorlion
05-20-2013, 02:23 PM

Yup, she rocks the house-good work ethic and awesome technique!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1mTra5hkg

guitarsnrotts
05-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Lyle Ritz, Lyle Ritz, Lyle Ritz and Lyle Ritz

NewKid
05-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Me too! I'm taking lessons from Sarah via Skype. She's great!

Tele295
05-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Jake
Brittni
Ohta
Iz

NewKid
05-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Kimo Hussey
Lyle Ritz
Jake Shimabukuro
Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

BIGDB
05-20-2013, 03:03 PM
IZs somewhere over the rainbow is what got me started but my favorite players now are
1. James hill
2. kalei gamiao
3. Jake shomabukuro
4. Aldrine guerrero

ChrisRCovington
05-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Iz
Jake
Eddie Veder
Aldrine

Iz and Rainbow for introducing my to the instrument as a real instrument.
Jake because everytime someone makes a Tiny Tim reference I just play one of his YouTube videos and they shut up.
Eddie Veder because I've always loved Pearl Jam and his music.
Aldrine for all of his awesome lessons online.

Alternates would be James Hill because he is as awesmoe as Jake although very different.
Jim Beloff for his great books that were my first books I learned from.
My father, not much of a uke player, much better guitarist, but for passing on a love of music and stringed instruments to me.

Nickie
05-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Kalei Gamiao
Brittni Paiva
Jake
James Hill
Manitoba Hal
Lil Rev

ok, so it's 6....

mikelz777
05-20-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't look for or listen to "professional" ukulele players so I can't say there are any players who currently inspire me to play the ukulele. The players who inspired (past tense) me to seek out the ukulele and start playing were all casual players who looked like they were having a lot of fun playing. I don't think any of them are necessarily seeking to be great players but seemed to be in it for the fun.

William H. Macy
Kate Micucci
Tony Danza
Zoey Deschanel

I think I saw all of them play a uke on TV in the span of 1 or 2 years and it piqued my curiosity to the point of wanting to try and then actually buying a ukulele.

Ooops! I forgot George Harrison. He can have Tony Danza's spot! :^D

Newportlocal
05-20-2013, 04:56 PM
1) Bruddah Iz
2) Jake Shimabukuro
3) Seeso (inspires fearlessness and a heck of a nice guy)
4) Craig Chee(brings more joy and happiness than should be legally allowed, and world's most infectious laugh)

Aldrine has to have his own special spot. Kind, talented, did all the uke minutes, huge part of us having these forums,etc. etc.
I will never forget what he did. Just a class act. What all of you did.
http://youtu.be/2z_BQcybGJo

hawaii 50
05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Kimo Hussey
Benny Chong
Herb Ohta JR.
Roy Sakuma
Kelly Boy DeLima
Aaron Cromwell
Jake in a class of his own..

Troy Fernandez,Peter Moon Jr.Gordon Marks etc..

come on Stan you kidding right just 4..Sarah,Brittni,Raiatea,David Kamakahi, Kalei,Aldrine,Corey Fujimoto(underrated ,should be known soon) it can go on and on..

Sean T.
05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
The short:

George Harrison
Victoria Vox
Eddie Vedder
Many teachers and players on Youtube.

The long:

I came to play the uke slowly.

I first became interested in it by George Harrison, but it seemed to me he saw it as a somewhat silly instrument (true or not true, I don't know), thus I didn't consider picking it up.

Then I watched a documentary on Harrison and his son said he loved the instrument. But I still didn't hear any recordings of him playing it, thus, I still didn't consider it.

Then, a day or two later, I read an article about Victoria Vox. She was using the uke as a serious instrument and writing serious songs with it. This made me go out and pick one up.

Then I heard Eddie Vedder playing some serious songs with his. And he inspired me to really try and learn the instrument.

I now love the uke and doubt I'll be going back to guitar as my primary instrument.

gyosh
05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Agree with everyone else's picks and want to toss in one of my own.

Jason Arimoto

mattydee
05-20-2013, 05:58 PM
I've got 5...

Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards
Jake
Victoria Vox
Roy Smeck
Lil' Rev

hawaii 50
05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Agree with everyone else's picks and want to toss in one of my own.

Jason Arimoto

I noticed your signature not up to date..

Hochapeafarm
05-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Danielle Anderson of Danielle Ate The Sandwich
Sarah Maisel
Eugene Ukulele
Eric Valesco "erivel" on UU / "ericvel" on YT

...and have to also say -- Seasonistas! :-)

ukuleledaveey
05-20-2013, 08:29 PM
ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
James hill
George Harrison
The wonderful people on this site,not just the uke playing,but also wonderful,kind and funny ;)

Kamanaaloha
05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Troy Fernandez
Iz
Imua Garza
Willie K/Ledward K/Bruno Mars/et.al.

4 is too few!

The most talented who can play and sing everything...hands down Willie K!!!

1badchef
05-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Kalei Gamiao
Aldrine Guerrero
James Hill
Jake Shimabukuro
Seeso
Mr. Woodshed
Stephin Merritt

damn thats already seven...the list could go on...

drbekken
05-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Well, first of all, I find it intriguing that I am an inspiration to other ukulele players...never thought that would be the case. Thank you!
It becomes a bit unfair to list some, and not the others. However, my 'top five' would have to include the following - in no particular order:

Ed Grosso
John Bianchi
Ukulele Ike
Johnny Marvin
The guy who plays ukulele on Sol Hoopii's Hollywood recordings from 1925 (can't recall his name)

Other than these characters, there are Jon D from Tas, Benny Chong, Roy Smeck, George Formby, ukulelezaza...and now we're only talking top of the iceberg. There are plenty others, some of whom I don't even know about yet...

mitchchang
05-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Lyle Ritz, Bill Tapia, Troy Fernandez, Bryan Tolentino - if you don't know one or any of these guys I highly recommend you look 'em up and see how they've changed the whole ukulele world and made it possible for us to enjoy the likes of Jake, Kalei, Brittni and many, many more!

guitharsis
05-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Brittni Paiva
but love listening to Iz.

Should start listening to more artists, recent and past.

Edit: Jake, of course, and Corey too!

Sean T.
05-21-2013, 06:01 AM
1) Bruddah Iz

Wow! I learn something new about the uke or uke players every day. IZ has a beautiful sound. Outstanding!

Kimosabe
05-21-2013, 06:51 AM
Benny Chong, Ohta-san, Lyle Ritz, Glen Rose, Craig Brandeau, Gerald Ross.................

bluesuke
05-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Aldrine
Troy F
Aaron Cromwell
Craig Chee

Pueo
05-21-2013, 08:24 AM
How could I forget to mention Brian Tolentino!
I'm going to go see him play with Weldon Kekauoha tonight.

Ok, I did not really forget, I was just trying to stick with Stan's four, once he went over four, all bets are off!

fernandogardinali
05-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Cliff Edwards
Roy Smeck
Ian Whitcomb
John Bianchi

seeso
05-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks to those who included me in their lists! :o

In no particular order:

George Harrison
Aldrine Guerrero
Jason Arimoto
Eddie Vedder
James Hill

gitarzan
05-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Nobody. I played guitar for years. My brother gave me a souvenir Uke about 5 years ago. I hung it up on a hook in my den. About 2 years ago, I saw Mighty Uke online. I think there was copy uploaded to YouTube for awhile. Anyway, I own the CD now. I thought it looked fun, so I grabbed the Uke from the wall, Googled up how to tune it, found a few tabs, and in a few minutes I was playing Ram On and Over The Rainbow. In just a night or two I had bought a Lanakai LU-21T. The first of many.

Aldrine Guerrero
05-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Awesome! Thanks to the peeps who have me on their list. Here's mine:

1. Jake Shimabukuro
2. Troy Fernandez
3. James Hill
4. Imua Garza

These four have inspired me to be the player I am today.

Hippie Dribble
05-21-2013, 10:58 AM
here's a 2nd shot:

Azo Bell
Lyle Ritz
Bill Tapia
Aaron Keim

3 jazzmen and a folkie walk into a bar... :)

Hippie Dribble
05-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Will Grove White
Roy Smeck
Ukulelezaza
Bosko & Honey

coolkayaker1
05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Ryrod
Stevepetergal
EugeneUkulele
Seeso

Hippie Dribble
05-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Seeso
Ralf Youtz
Aldrine Guerrero
Matt Lindahl

Hippie Dribble
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Bob Brozman
Del Ray
Manitoba Hal
Ian Whitcomb

Susie A
05-21-2013, 11:49 AM
In no particular order ..

Shani Anne, if it hadn't been for her YouTube I may have never found the uke. Thanks Shani Anne!
Alan Thornton
Bill Skiddoo
Uncle E

mm stan
05-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Bob Brozman
Del Ray
Manitoba Hal
Ian Whitcomb
Ha Ha Bruddah Jon,
4 on each post.... :)
and Bruddah Pueo, now I need to add another, Of course "BRITTNI" :)

Tsani
05-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Rob McKillop
Val Sauvage
Ken Middleton
DeG

(4 is just not enough. There are so many. Jake (of course), John King (RIP), IZ (RIP), Julia Nunes, Victoria Vox,... I could go on and on...)

experimentjon
05-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Aldrine Guerrero- wouldn't even be playing if it weren't for Aldrine
Jake Shimabukuro- this list needs to have the ukulele solo pioneer
Dominator- Dom has done a LOT for the ukulele community
Kris Fuchigami- heard him on the internet for the first time, recently--he is awesome.

Others: Matt Dahlberg, Deach, Jason Mraz, Kalei Gamiao, Jason Arimoto

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but Aldrine and Jake are the really big ones.

Bozz
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Ukulele Ike-Cliff Edwards
Uncle Bill Tapia
James Hill
Iz

I really came to the Uke as a cool travel instrument and the more I learned, the more wonderful people and players I discovered. I'm inspired by almost all those I play with.

Pameulu
05-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Iz
Jake
Aldrine
George Harrison

agent61
05-22-2013, 04:26 AM
James Hill
James Hill
James Hill
James Hill

(lol) Huge fan!

gaspar
05-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Roy Smeck (the best uker of all times)
Cliff Edwards
Ukulelezaza
Wininboy

kaizersoza
05-22-2013, 11:03 AM
In no particular order

Barry Maz
Aldrine
Eugene
Coolkayaker

these are four of the many who have helped, guided and inspired me in my ukulele journey

mm stan
05-24-2013, 04:03 AM
Let me Add ....... :)
1)Uncle Rod
2)Ukulele Mike Lynch

uketeecee
05-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Ukulele Ike-Cliff Edwards

vanflynn
05-24-2013, 04:54 AM
I'll add Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta, Jr. They have some wonderful duets together.

Check out the Ukuleles in Paradise album if you already haven't

mikef
05-24-2013, 05:34 AM
Lyle Ritz - I also play (well played, it's been a while) upright bass therefore Lyle da man! First uke album I ever bought too.
Iz - Gentle technique, gentle voice... with my headphones on Iz just soothes the stress away. Pure escapism.
Manitoba Hal - Showed me all sorts of new directions to take the uke and he's the MASTER of uke looping.
Fozzie Bear - No, seriously! It's all too easy to be pretentious about music or try too hard to be cool. Fozzie & friends are a great reminder music is fun fun fun!

Loudster
05-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Honestly, I probably get more inspired to play by non-ukers than ukulele players, if that makes any sense. Inspiration is everywhere if you look for it.

mikef
05-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Honestly, I probably get more inspired to play by non-ukers than ukulele players, if that makes any sense. Inspiration is everywhere if you look for it.

+1 to that :)

electrauke
05-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Hmmmmm,

Ok, in no particular order of importance:

Aldrine G.
Eugene Ukulele
Craig Chee
Lil' Rev

electrauke
05-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Gotta Add a couple more,

Sarah Maisel
Kalei Gamiao

GeorgeUke
05-24-2013, 06:32 AM
For me it's.......
Roy Smeck
George Formby
Bob Brozman
Peter Moss

29moons
05-24-2013, 08:03 AM
1. Daniel Ho (Learned more from watching him than anyone else)
2. Jake (Well, it's Jake)
3. Greg Hawkes (always a big fan of the Cars then I saw Greg playing and he inspired me)
4. Julia Nunes (originally attracted me to the uke)

mds725
05-24-2013, 08:18 AM
While I love watching and listening to godlike performers like Jake, Aldrine, Kalei and the other great performers mentioned in this thread, what inspires me to try to be a better player are "regular" people whose talent levels might be closer to mine but who have an insatiable passion for the instrument. If I had to pick four of these people, I'd pick Stan (mmstan), who is my pick for Worldwide Ambassador of Uke for his generosity and aloha spirit, Joey (joeybug) for her absolute devotion to her ukulele playing, Jon (eugene ukulele), even though he has far more talent than I do, because it's impossible to watch him play an ukulele without loving the ukulele as much as he does, and Musigguymic (MGM), who was in many ways my introduction to the ukulele community (I bought several of my early ukes from him on eBay), because of his obvious aloha for not only ukuleles but also ukulele players and potential ukulele players. I wish I could play like Jake, Aldrine, Kalei Tamaine Gardner, James Hill, and other freakishly talented people, but what has motivated me to even try to play like those guys are people like Stan, Joey, Jon, and MGM.

kkimura
05-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Evan Tom, Grand-Nephew
Marc Sato, Nephew
Lauren Tom, Grand-Niece
Shauna Kimura, Grand-Niece

pulelehua
05-24-2013, 12:38 PM
James Hill - experiments and folk chops
John King - campanella and touch
Taimane Gardner - fire and passion
Lyle Ritz - eats chords for breakfast

Papa Tom
05-24-2013, 02:11 PM
George Harrison
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
George Formby

PTOEguy
05-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - not just for playing but for having a lot of fun with it and still making great music

mm stan
05-24-2013, 03:21 PM
WOW gang keep them coming...always nice to hear from others what your own personal uke preferences and the ones who inspire you the most....thank you
I believe UU forum and all the members and You Tube are the biggest motivation factors and inspiration for me too...thank you all again... :)

armchair_spaceman
05-24-2013, 03:24 PM
, what inspires me to try to be a better player are "regular" people whose talent levels might be closer to mine but who have an insatiable passion for the instrument.

+1

That's pretty much where it's at for me...all those bold "regular" folks who put their stuff up on youtube, share tabs and chord sheets and all that gear for the fun/love of it.

Sure the luminaries like Jake, Aldrine, IZ, James Hill, Sarah Maisel are just marvellous to watch and hear but if I had only ever seen them I would have thought the uke way out of my reach and probably wouldn't have ever picked it up. It's folks like Todd Downing, CurtainGuy, UkeTubeUk, Pocket Fox just to name a few that gave me the notion that maybe I COULD learn to play a little and have some fun with it. It was them that inspired me to take it up.

igorthebarbarian
05-24-2013, 06:32 PM
+1

That's pretty much where it's at for me...all those bold "regular" folks who put their stuff up on youtube, share tabs and chord sheets and all that gear for the fun/love of it.

Sure the luminaries like Jake, Aldrine, IZ, James Hill, Sarah Maisel are just marvellous to watch and hear but if I had only ever seen them I would have thought the uke way out of my reach and probably wouldn't have ever picked it up. It's folks like Todd Downing, CurtainGuy, UkeTubeUk, Pocket Fox just to name a few that gave me the notion that maybe I COULD learn to play a little and have some fun with it. It was them that inspired me to take it up.

^ Completely agree with armchair_spaceman. I have zero musical background and the stuff that Jake/IZ do are completely amazing and completely unrealistic for me (and I'm fine with that).

But to see regular ol' people be able to bang out songs and put themselves out for the world to see on youtube made me feel like maybe someday I could do that too (too shy for now but still loads of fun/ very relaxing hobby).

This is one of my favorite covers: Dad + Daughter + Lumineers = Great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1C4TvQ4A3M&list=UUILVFL0sCUPLm7CuEWAYG9g&index=1

Phluffy the Destroyer
05-24-2013, 07:05 PM
John Mondelli - His music inspired me to play the ukulele in the first place.
Molly Lewis - Amazing modern singer/songwriter.
Cliff Edwards - Classic crooner.
Iz - Because sometimes completely screwing up a good song makes it an awesome song.

Skitzic
05-24-2013, 08:32 PM
In no particular order...

Grumpy Coyote. One of the first people I followed on youtube, and continues to remind me it's okay to play multiple instruments. (although I will never be as good as he is)
All the UU jammers, before the jams died.
Aldrine
Jake

SonSprinter
05-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Will Grove White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E-KpTk7ysE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is a cool thread. I am going through and thoroughly listening to all the ukulele player being posted, am greatly expanding my knowledge of what is out there.

In any case, this one is cool.

rasputinsghost
05-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Aldrine, Jake, James Hill, and Shaun Reyes (my old teacher and excellent ukulele player, and Kamaka endorsee).

erivel
05-25-2013, 08:43 PM
In 1998 I went to Maui for the first time. I saw a lot of great local preformers playing at restaurants and free shows at the malls, etc. I loved the sound so much that I was inspired to get my first uke, a Braddah Ukes soprano. I've been to the islands many times since then and I always love hearing the the uke played there.

I may not know their names, but if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be playing uke today. The only thing that inspires me to play these days is just opening the case and seeing a beautiful uke begging to be played! :)

AllStrungOut
06-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Wow! Interesting thread and I'm glad I read it because now I have tons of uke players to check out! AND I never knew there was a Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain! Recently, clicked upon Jake on YOUTUBE and then this fairly unassuming guy named Gerald Ross who has graciously put of Ukulele Swing lessons and I got excited all over again about picking up the ukulele! He's a great teacher and he speaks my language, so to say... being a lifelong guitar player helps without a doubt but I LOVE how this humble little instrument invites people of all cultures and abilities to play music! It's really a grand thing! I get excited from a music therapy perspective as well because persons of many varied abilities can enjoy this instrument. AND, ukulele players are always smiling! ;) Oh, btw, played the uke in the loo today, great acoustics! :biglaugh:
http://youtu.be/1LGBcOxSQ-E

teruterubouzu
06-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Love this thread. It's interesting to see people's picks.

Here's my list.

1. Zooey Deschanel - Tease me if you must, but she made me realize you can play regular old pop music with a ukulele. It made it seem approachable and helped kick me in the butt to actually buy one for myself.
2. Ukulelezaza - Didn't know about him until after I started playing, but his style is my favorite of all time. If I could even become 1/10 as good as him, I would be happy.
3. Ukulele Mike Lynch - I found his videos on the same day I got my first ukulele. It was exciting to learn to play a song that first day of strumming and struggling with chords.
4. Lots of folks from UU - Uncle Rod, Aldrine, Eugene, Sukie and many more...

lexi
06-05-2013, 03:15 AM
Been a bit of a fan of this young singer for a few years now, and after seeing this video and hearing the ukulele sound so lovely with her singing, it did inspire me to learn to play the ukulele, though it took me another year or so to actually buy one.

Anyway this is Orla Gartland from Ireland, an original song too, All The Little Details. I predict big things for her in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaMr86JE4q0

mm stan
06-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Been a bit of a fan of this young singer for a few years now, and after seeing this video and hearing the ukulele sound so lovely with her singing, it did inspire me to learn to play the ukulele, though it took me another year or so to actually buy one.

Anyway this is Orla Gartland from Ireland, an original song too, All The Little Details. I predict big things for her in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaMr86JE4q0
Aloha Lexi,
I like this video of this girl ....check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c4lOq9hkiU

lexi
06-05-2013, 03:31 AM
Cheers mM Stan, not a song i have heard before but i like it, she's not a bad uke player either, a few mistakes but nice technique there.

lexi
06-05-2013, 03:38 AM
i have to confess, i dont know that many songs from hawaii, but Molokai Slide is a great introduction, thanks for that :)

mm stan
06-05-2013, 03:47 AM
It's a very cool and fun song to play Lexi....did you see the video I sent you....yes hawaiian local songs are real fun to play too...Happy Strummings..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp0l__2SOGw
Here is another local favorite...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqFXH1C3A8

lexi
06-05-2013, 04:03 AM
Yes, reply sent :)

UKISOCIETY
06-05-2013, 04:05 AM
Ken Middleton (http://www.youtube.com/user/KenMiddletonUkulele) - prolific and an excellent player
Mary-Anne (http://www.youtube.com/user/mctrmt)
Callie (http://www.last.fm/music/owlphanumeric)
RussBuss (http://www.youtube.com/user/russbuss415)- all three for their songwriting skills and use of the uke

mm stan
06-05-2013, 04:21 AM
Ken Middleton (http://www.youtube.com/user/KenMiddletonUkulele) - prolific and an excellent player
Mary-Anne (http://www.youtube.com/user/mctrmt)
Callie (http://www.last.fm/music/owlphanumeric)
RussBuss (http://www.youtube.com/user/russbuss415)- all three for their songwriting skills and use of the uke

mahalo Alan...I reconize Ken and Russ...thank you for posting Mary anne and Callie...first time seeing them...cool man....I like their playing too...thank you for sharing

CTurner
06-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Abe Lagrimas, Jr.
Paul Hemmings
Benny Chong
Gerald Ross

But there are at least four others who are right up there for me!

thejumpingflea
06-05-2013, 05:23 AM
James Hill
Jake Shimabukuro
Herb Ohta Jr.
Daniel Ho

Dan Uke
06-05-2013, 06:06 AM
I don't have four even though I like many players.

Brittni Paiva
Kris Fuchigami
Corey from HMS

I like the young guns

hawaii 50
06-05-2013, 06:16 AM

Brittni Paiva
Kris Fuchigami
Corey from HMS

I like the young guns

Corey working on his CD now..i send you a copy when it comes out..he for sure one of the better uke players on the Island..

Dan Uke
06-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Corey working on his CD now..i send you a copy when it comes out..he for sure one of the better uke players on the Island..

I'm gonna buy it for sure!!

I like Benny and Kimo for the jazz stuff.

hawaii 50
06-05-2013, 07:01 AM

No worries Daniel..when I see it I get it for you..buy me lunch next time you see me..

the funny part..is how Corey can put all his focus on Playing/practicing on his uke..strings new ukuleles not on his mind like many of us..i guess Corey does inspire me to be a better player..

he does know and plays all kinds of brands of strings,ukes etc..but his main goal is to become the best player he can..that takes some major effort,I got to learn how to do that..haha,,,one way is to be happy with the ukes I have now and play more...

Karasu
06-05-2013, 07:12 AM
1.Jake
2. James Hill
3. Aldrine Guerrero
4. Corey Fujimoto

paw123los
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Let me think ...
1. Benny Chong
2. Lyle Ritz
3. Gerald Ross
4. Jake

Howie1947
06-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Bryan Tolentino (my personal mentor) Dan Baduria, Nelson Waikiki, Roy Smeck and Troy Fernandez

Rodney.
06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
In no particular order,

Dr. Bekken (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?49381-drbekken) youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/drbekken)
Jake youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/jakeshimabukuro)
Weerpool (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?41235-weerpool) youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/weerpool14)
sorry, just three.

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Brittni Paiva
Kris Fuchigami
Corey from HMS
I like the young guns

Aloha Danny, You forgot Aaron.. he jams man :)

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:04 AM

You forgetting Gordon Mark .....

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Bryan Tolentino (my personal mentor) Dan Baduria, Nelson Waikiki, Roy Smeck and Troy Fernandez
Aloha M,
Who is Nelson Waikiki ??? I don't even know him and I live here... :)

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Aloha Rodney,
Yup the Doc in the house man....:shaka:

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:08 AM
1.Jake
2. James Hill
3. Aldrine Guerrero
4. Corey Fujimoto

Aloha Karasu,

I like your style :shaka:

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Let me think ...
1. Benny Chong
2. Lyle Ritz
3. Gerald Ross
4. Jake

Aloha Paw123los,
Lyle and Grerald certainly should be in there :)

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Aloha Craig,
Yup you cannot forget Abe and Benny Chong....I don't reconize Paul Hemmings though...who is dat masked strummer? :)

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
James Hill
Jake Shimabukuro
Herb Ohta Jr.
Daniel Ho
Aloha Matt,
Hey Bruddah, You should be up there too...you in da top 4 in my books :)

Howie1947
06-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Stan, I think he is deceased. Don't know much about him, but quite a colorful ukulele player in yrs past in and around Waikiki area. He has CD on ITunes, check him out. Mike

mm stan
06-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Stan, I think he is deceased. Don't know much about him, but quite a colorful ukulele player in yrs past in and around Waikiki area. He has CD on ITunes, check him out. Mike
Aloha M,
Now that I have time to dwell on it, I remember a little of him...I think thank you man :)

barefootgypsy
06-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Well. here's one of mine - this performance was 20 years ago.... Peter Moss. Video uploaded only yesterday by one firm fan. He's recently returned to the wooden uke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9pNmKfJXQ

barefootgypsy
06-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Well. here's one of mine - this performance was 20 years ago.... Peter Moss. Video uploaded only yesterday by one firm fan. He's recently returned to the wooden uke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9pNmKfJXQIf you want to catch up with him (He's British, by the way) this weekend you'll find him playing in Halifax, Nova Scotia......

mm stan
06-06-2013, 01:03 AM
Aloha Lesley,
This is Great...and this is what this tread is about...introducing to all the amazing inspirtational players to all....thank you wow :)

barefootgypsy
06-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Aloha Lesley,
This is Great...and this is what this tread is about...introducing to all the amazing inspirtational players to all....thank you wow :)Glad you enjoyed that, Stan! I hope more folk do, too! Peter's a wonderful player!

TJ Uke
06-19-2013, 09:12 AM
John King
Jake Shimabukuro
Aldrine (due to Zelda medley a long time ago)
Uke Orchestra of GB

wolfmanchuck
06-19-2013, 10:42 AM
1) George Formby
2) Jake Shimabukuro
3) Ukefink
4) Uke Til U Puke

Gillian
06-19-2013, 05:08 PM
The inspiration to play the uke came from me and the "Why not ?" purchase of the Lanikai Kohala uke package for $100 at the Costco in Hawaii-Kai. With uke in hand, it was then:

memories of my granddad urging me to play the ukulele when I was 7 (but I didn't :()
Ukulele Mike's YouTube channel
Troy Fernandez
Ukulele Underground's members and Aldrine

hawaii 50
06-19-2013, 05:12 PM
The inspiration to play the uke came from me and the "Why not ?" purchase of the Lanikai Kohala uke package for $100 at the Costco in Hawaii-Kai. With uke in hand, it was then:

memories of my granddad urging me to play the ukulele when I was 7 (but I didn't :()
Ukulele Mike's YouTube channel
Troy Fernandez
Ukulele Underground's members and Aldrine

Hey Gillian
I heard that Troy Fernandez moved to Calif..hopefully up where you are..
not 100% sure but keep an eye out for him..

Gillian
06-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey Gillian
I heard that Troy Fernandez moved to Calif..hopefully up where you are..
not 100% sure but keep an eye out for him..

It's true!!! He moved to LA (http://www.mkaloha.net/1/post/2013/04/kaau-crater-boy-troy-fernandez-moving-to-los-angeles.html) though:(

Flyinby
06-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Well, we went and saw Jake S. a few months ago in San Luis Obispo CA, and not long ago the Uke Orchestra of Great Britain, and both were excellent and lots of fun but really didn't inspire anything.

A couple of years ago I was sitting out on my surfboard and saw a friend of my son sitting on the rocks strumming a uke, which is pretty unusual to see around here. Thinking "I could never do that with my Gibson" (guitar), too bulky, too expensive, too much trouble, and there are so many guitar players so that people expect you to be really good. So I bought a cheap Rogue soprano to keep around, but never did much with it. The intonation was just too bad for me to really enjoy playing, same with my son and grandson...we tinkered with it but that's all.

In Oahu in late 2011 I was in a shop and picked up an Islander soprano, and it sounded so (comparatively) good that I bought it, and a concert for my son. Then I discovered, while we tinkered with our new axes on the balcony in Oahu, that the chords were the same as guitar chords (fingering-wise) and could hardly put it down after that. My son played guitar and uke at my daughter's wedding last year.

Last year my 9 year old grandson finally got serious enough to put a little effort into it, and he now is picking things up at an alarming rate...I'm not going to be able to teach him much longer, but we have fun jamming and fooling around. He likes to play in E and watch me squirm when the root chord comes along...

2 Weeks ago 4 of my 5 grandkids had a uke jam, with the Ubass, a tenor, two singers with a tambourine, and it was inspiring watching them rehearse "soul sister" again and again (ages 8 through 11, with the 5th grandchild, a 1 year old dancing...) Last week the same grandson played to about 400 people in a music festival talent show...David Choi's "My Time with You", just himself and a uke.

Sorry to make such a long story from it, but it may not make any sense otherwise; the top 4 for me would be, I guess, the guy on the rocks strumming while we surfed (Tanner), my son who made me feel guilty enough when he tried to play that lousy Rogue, that I went uke shopping in Oahu, my grandson whose progress is unbelievable, and I suppose myself, because it's just so much fun, easy to play, carry and collect, and feels much less formal than picking up my Gibson.

hapuna
06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
IZ
Jake
Ledward
Da guy from Don Ho Aliis. Forgot. Oh yeah Benny Chong

JonThysell
06-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Israel Kamawiwo'ole
Kimo Hussey
Jake Shimabukuro
Sungha Jung (when he's not guitaring)

Captain Simian
06-21-2013, 11:23 AM
I've been pondering this for a couple of days and the only person I could think of was George Harrison. Watching him strumming a uke on The Beatles Anthology put it in my head to pick up a uke. I don't even really copy his playing. I tend to like and am influenced by songs more than players for the most part.

CurtainGuy
09-23-2013, 08:11 PM
+1

Man, you just made my day. Thank you so much. That's what I try to do with my lessons when I post them (been a while, but I'll get around to more).. just to show that anyone can do this stuff. Seriously, thank you!

I guess if I had to think of my biggest inspirations.. of course people like Jake, Aldrine, Taimane.. but also singer-songwriter types like Julia Nunes, Sophie Madeleine, and Tom Milson back when he used to do a lot of uke stuff.

mm stan
09-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Couple other of my insiprations when I picked up the uke again was Amanda Bolsin of the Barnkickers...
and Dakine808 on you tube...like previous mentioned, they were really good players who I knew that I coould attain to,
unlike like uke legends like Jake, James Hill, Sarah Maisel...etc

Kdogg
09-24-2013, 04:00 AM
Well let me see,
I am going to start with two of my friends Rachel & Chrissy as they are the ones who got me into Uke (they didnt realize at the time) during a three day surf outing.I got my first Uke about a week later.
Next will be some I discovered while searching for info on how to play it on the net. Of course I ran across Jake Then "Bruddah IZ", Corey and Aaron from HMS. A side bar video on a page I was viewing introduced me to two very talented young Ladies Honoka And Azita. Then I found Sophie Madeleine and today while reading this thread I clicked on a link for Brittni Paiva, I found her playing a duet with Carlos Santana "Samba Pa Ti" (one of my all time favorite guitar instrumentals) WOW!
I have already gone over four but lastly I will say Aldrine and ALL the Ukers here on UU !!! Thank you so much for freely sharing the STOKE,to use a surfing term, of playing the Ukelele.

Mahalo :shaka:

foxisaac
09-24-2013, 04:31 AM
James Hill
Brittni Paiva
Jake Shimabukuro
The UOGB

dezb1
09-24-2013, 10:25 AM
George Harrison
George Harrison
George Harrison
Eddie Vedder

Shady Wilbury
09-24-2013, 10:40 AM
George Harrison
The Cloverdale Kid
Alan Thornton
Eugene Ukulele.

Honestly - I pick up and play more often since I began watching those last three on YouTube.

HBolte
09-24-2013, 10:44 AM
I don't know if I would have picked one up if not for George Harrison.

Cheeso
09-24-2013, 11:31 AM
U900
u900
u900

AaronC@HMS
09-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Only 4 huh? Tough call... Kimo Hussey,Benny Chong,Lyle Ritz, and you gotta have Troy! For the younger guys...Aldrine, Kalei, Jake, and Abe also inspire me to play. Imua, Corey and Chris Fuchigami too... Haha! Too many amazing players I tell you... Maybe next thread should be 40 instead of 4!

mm stan
09-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Aloha Aaron..
Howzit brah....yes they are all my favorites too and you too.. I am sure you met them all too....what a list...:shaka:

UncleElvis
09-24-2013, 02:20 PM
In no particular order ..

Shani Anne, if it hadn't been for her YouTube I may have never found the uke. Thanks Shani Anne!
Alan Thornton
Bill Skiddoo
Uncle E

Now THAT, my darling, is flattering as hell!
Thank you.

Now, mine?

Seeso, Aldrine, Mike Lynch, Danielle Ate The Sandwich, Julia Nunes, The UUMiniJammers, especially Alex (bornagainjeeper) as he was the one who taught me how to sing and play at the same time!, Matt Lindahl, The Dawgs...

There are a grajillion people who inspire me...

TG&Y
09-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Gus/Fin
Bianchi
DATS
PeeWee

in no particular order

MrCosbySweaters
10-02-2013, 03:28 PM
(in no particular order)
Amanda Palmer
Aldrine Guerrero
Jake Shimabukuro
George Formby

:D

sugengshi
10-02-2013, 06:27 PM
In no particular order:

Israel Kamakawiwao'le
Jake Shimabukuro
James Hill
Aldrine Guerrero

musiccityuker
10-03-2013, 03:24 AM
Gerald Ross, Troy Fernandez, Jake & Led Kaapana

Osprey
10-03-2013, 03:47 AM
Brittni Paiva
James Hill
Jake Shimabukuro
Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

UkeyDave
10-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Well it does change but for me these four are just incredible.

UKULELEZAZA
UKULELE UFF and LONESOME DAVE
JAMES CLEM
GEORGE ELMES

NewKid
10-03-2013, 04:44 AM
Here's my top 4 ukulele teacher list since learning is so inspiring:

1. Sarah Maisel
2. Glen Rose
3. Kimo Hussey
4. Jeffrey Thomas

Ukejenny
10-03-2013, 05:12 AM
Every time I watch a YouTube video or listen to a performance, I am inspired. Everyone here has inspired me as well. So, I can't list the four top performers, but I can comment on the four who are inspiring me at this time. Aldrin, George Hinchcliffe, Sarah Maisel, and All the generous people out there who have shared their ukulele tabs free of charge.

molokinirum
10-03-2013, 05:14 AM
Mine are:

1. Stan
2. Eugene
3. Danny
4. Bo

You guys rock!!!! Thanks for your inspiration!!!!

Five Ways
10-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi I agree with lots of the above but the man who inspired me when I switched over to ukulele was Ken Middleton I just love his playing.

flyingace
10-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Some names I recognize, some I don't. What are some current/newer player(s) (men and women) that are more singer/songwriter that just happen to play ukulele instead of just virtuoso uke players like James Hill and Jake?

Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic, but I like to sing and would like to find some nice songs to cover... something I might remotely be able to accomplish unlike what James and Jake play! :)

I listened to the Sarah Meisel stuff, nice but not my cup of tea, a little too saccharine for my taste. Nothing against her or those that like her please, not trying to flame, just my opinion.

I'd love to hear some stuff that's more along the lines of what Eddie Vedder did on his Ukulele Songs album.

iamesperambient
10-03-2013, 04:06 PM
1) Bruddah Iz
2) Jake Shimabukuro
3) James Hill
4) Aldrine G.

stephin merritt
george harrison

i dont really have any others...

sugengshi
10-03-2013, 09:10 PM
The previous list was when I first started. For now, here is my list: Kimo Hussey, Glen Rose, Gerald Rose and Colin Tribe

barefootgypsy
10-03-2013, 11:20 PM
The previous list was when I first started. For now, here is my list: Kimo Hussey, Glen Rose, Gerald Rose and Colin TribeAh, you're on to the jazz players! The first three there, anyway - I find I'm going that way myself right now! And Colin Tribe is pretty inspirational, I agree! He can play anything...... I'd still be pretty hard pressed to pick out just four though..... can't do it!

consitter
10-03-2013, 11:29 PM
When I first started playing uke, I hadn't listened to anybody. Now that I have listened, here's my list...

1. Jake Shimabukuro
2. Aldrine Guerrero
3. Iz
4. Mike Hind

And an extremely honorable mention to Eugene Ukulele. Thanks Jon for being you.