PDA

View Full Version : Seasonistas at UWC?

mattydee
05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Can we get a roll call of who's planning to make it to UWC (Ukulele World Congress, in Needmore Indiana May 30-June 1)? Maybe we should try to do a group bonus for whoever's week it is on Saturday!

I'll be there... Who else?

ukeeku
05-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Am I one. have not done one in a while...sorry aboot that

mattydee
05-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Of course you are! All it takes is a single entry! See you there, Tim!

ukuleledaveey
05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
im hoping to make it over next year :)

decaturcomp
05-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Yep, and bringing son Matt (16) who has played on at least one video with me so he should count, too. He mostly plays guitar and has taught himself a fair bit on the ocarina although he doesn't know anyone else who plays it. This is a you tube channel he made to raise money for the music program at his former school. The choir director there is very good and she made a big impression on him musically:
http://www.youtube.com/iamanothermusicman

daveey! can't wait to meet you there next year.

Great idea I'm totally in Matty! Maybe do one for the current season Sat before midnight and one for the next one after midnight? Skidoo, is going to be there, we're working on some duet stuff. Myrna, you'll be there, right?

mattydee
05-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Great idea I'm totally in Matty! Maybe do one for the current season Sat before midnight and one for the next one after midnight? Skidoo, is going to be there, we're working on some duet stuff. Myrna, you'll be there, right?

Brilliant idea, Alan!

ukuLily Mars
05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Sigh.

I will not be there. I will miss all of you. :(

Hippie Dribble
05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
This thread is killing me. :(

Tootler
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
A bit far to go for me just now. :old:

Anyway, I shall be at a small local folk festival over that weekend.

The truth is, because of our past medical histories, travel insurance is just too expensive for travel outside Europe for both of us.

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Well...I don't know if I can legitimately call myself a seasonista since the job has been interfering with life the last several months - I don't think I've managed to make but about two of the last fifteen seasons! Haven't even had time to do more than skim the highlights of the videos without even commenting. I feel so unworthy... :(

But, I will be at UWC. Even that was in danger and I was getting worried because of the high visibility of the current project (regulatory interest not only from US regulators but European and Canadian as well) but we had a staff meeting today and the boss basically said, "yeah, we're up against the wall, but take your vacation - you scheduled it a year ago and you've sure has heck earned it" (or words to that affect). Man, I love that woman, in a platonic sort of way (have to be careful 'cause she's also cute and I don't need any misunderstandings from my Mrs!).

Hey...if I am still a seasonista, though, I have a thought - why don't all of us that make UWC get our heads together and do a song together for open mic Saturday night? Most of the cabins do cabin songs. And there are a lot of other groups that form on the basis of one commonality or another (last year Seeso put together a group just because we'd been fooling around harmonizing around some old tunes the night before).

So, what do you say? What's a good candidate song? Needs to be something simple that we can pull together quickly and should reflect the spirit of the seasons...

John

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM

I sympathize brother, especially after the big scare of thinking I might not make it this year. Your year is coming. Just hang on to that!

Start planning now to make it next year - if you can manage to put together tickets to get to the site with or without the family I'll find a way to make sure you (and, if they're along, yours) have a roof (or at least a tent) over your head! In fact, if you can make it to Chicago, IL or Indianapolis, IN (I believe that both are ports of entry and possibly have direct flights from Oz) I'll commit right now to meeting you at either airport and providing transportation to the site - assuming you can abide a few hours of my lame jokes in the car!

UWC seems always to have some good Aussie representation - but we needs us some Eugene, too!

John

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I'll be there... Who else?

I get to meet MattyDee, I get to meet MattyDee! :) Seriously hoping some mojo rubs off! :biglaugh:

John

OldePhart
05-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Myrna, you'll be there, right?

It was good to meet Myrna from AK and several of the SEUker bunch last year. Would be good to see all of you again. I don't know if the Wolfe Man with an E has done any Seasons videos, but he's usually there, right?

Matt Dahlberg (sp?) usually makes it and he qualifies as a Seasonista.

Would also be good to see Daveey and Jon - you guys need to get it together for next year!

John

mattydee
05-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Matt Dahlberg (sp?) usually makes it and he qualifies as a Seasonista.

Dahlberg or Lindahl? Or both?!

hoosierhiver
05-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Matt's sister might be there this year.

ukeeku
05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
I know lindahl is coming, not sure about Dahlberg.
The bummer is that Craig chee is not coming. BOOO

ukuleledaveey
05-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Would also be good to see Daveey and Jon - you guys need to get it together for next year!

John

I have already started saving, I looked into booking a flight ,but they won't let me pre book so far in advance. The wife wants me to go on my own as she is not into ukes lol,I m aiming to come over for two weeks,if I can save enough and also fend off my UAS',have a great time and I will be there in spirit, all the best from me

FiL
05-22-2013, 05:09 AM

I hear ya, brother!

- FiL

krabbers
05-22-2013, 05:46 AM
this year was going to be the year i made my return visit to needmore but as the dates seem to have shifted a week it has thrown a huge spanner in the works for me,

krabbers
05-22-2013, 05:50 AM
im hoping to make it over next year :)

sounds like a plan dave, me too, i work for an airline i get free flight but the last few years have thrown me a duff hand, all that behind me and next year school exams will be out of the way ,

seeso
05-22-2013, 08:01 AM
What's a good candidate song?

Time of the Season (http://youtu.be/oc7b62El_fk)

http://youtu.be/oc7b62El_fk

Barbablanca
05-22-2013, 08:19 AM
I love events like this! :) But I'll be there a month too late :(

Oh well, I'll get to meet Mike (Mainland Ukes) so if you guys charge him up with enough magic, it might not have all rubbed off by the time we meet up!

Have a fabulous time people!

GaryC1968
05-22-2013, 08:55 AM
I'll be there (this will be my first UWC).

drbekken
05-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Well, if I win the lottery or on horses, I might just show up one year.

OldePhart
05-22-2013, 01:10 PM

I meant Lindahl. :embarrassed:

OldePhart
05-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Time of the Season (http://youtu.be/oc7b62El_fk)

http://youtu.be/oc7b62El_fk

Oh, yeah, good choice! If I end up with room in the Kia after packing in the camping gear and what not I'll throw my UBASS and a little bass practice amp in to hold the cargo down... :)

John

Hochapeafarm
05-22-2013, 02:35 PM
I wish that I could go to this soooooo badly!!! You guys will have such a FABULOUS time, I know it! Too bad there won't be any live-streaming video going on for the event -- I would love to watch and partake vicariously! ;-) I remember seeing some videos on YT, not too long ago, that were taken from last year's UWC; hopefully, some of the performances will be recorded and uploaded to the web -- that would be wonderful! Everyone who's going -- safe journey to/fro -- HAVE AN AWESOME TIME! :cool:

myrnaukelele
05-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm heading to the Midwest on Tuesday! I'll be there Wednesday night. I love the idea of a Seasonista number onstage. Why don't we write our own song? What do you think of this for starters?

To every week (Theme/Theme/Theme)
There is a Season (Theme/Theme/Theme)
And the time for uke songs ends
Each Sunday at midnight Hawaiian.

A week for blues, A week for duets,
We've had French week and Saudade and more
etc.

Songwriters?

electrauke
05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Not a HARDCORE seasonista, but I will be there. Don't ask to use the showers or bathrooms in our RV unless you are a friend of Ben $$$ :)

mattydee
05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm heading to the Midwest on Tuesday! I'll be there Wednesday night. I love the idea of a Seasonista number onstage. Why don't we write our own song? What do you think of this for starters?

etc.

Songwriters?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Have a great UWC, Seasonistas! So busy here in Portland, no way to escape. But if ukuleledaveey does indeed make it in 2014, I'll make it as well---I need to play a few tunes with ukuleledaveey.

And how about some eugene ukulele in 2014, too?

decaturcomp
05-23-2013, 10:05 AM
What a GREAT idea Myrna!

Here are a couple more thoughts though not finished yet of course:

Chorus 1
To every week (Themes/Themes/Themes)
There is a Season (So it seems)
Sunday's when our all our uke songs end
At midnight Hawaiian.

A week in some language with gay castanets
A week for themes that we aint thought up yet
A week for Muppets with jokes that are all wet….

Chorus 2
But the next week brings new new songs
sometimes in bathtubs without thongs
Or in our autos or gardens or out among the throngs

One week where we lauded the great Texas four.
Tom Paxton's folk songs and Woody's and Hank's
Seasons on Seasons like when we each give Thanks

etc.

Songwriters?

decaturcomp
05-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Okay Myrna,

I guess we don't have any more takers, maybe someone can clean this up a little and we'll add some chords.
What's a good key and who's going to UWC to represent with us?

Chorus 1
To every week Themes, Themes, Themes
There is a Season so it seems
At midnight Hawaiian.

Chorus 2
Or in autos or gardens or in the streets singing goofy songs

One week we lauded the great Texas four.

To every week themes, themes, themes
There is a Season host's wild dreams
Like Ramones or The 80s, the Stones
Or praising baseball teams

We never know where we will end up
Sometimes there are prizes like plastic beer cups
Bottles of hot sauce and stickers and shirts
These make us happy like when we were young squirts…..

So search the forums on UU
you find some contests to look through
and you'll find the Seasons where
We'll be looking out for you!

ukuleledaveey
05-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Have a great UWC, Seasonistas! So busy here in Portland, no way to escape. But if ukuleledaveey does indeed make it in 2014, I'll make it as well---I need to play a few tunes with ukuleledaveey.

And how about some eugene ukulele in 2014, too?
:o wow im blushing Ralf, would be great to meet you in person but im not in the same league as you mate lol fingers crossed we can make this happen :)

mattydee
05-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Okay Myrna,

I guess we don't have any more takers, maybe someone can clean this up a little and we'll add some chords.
What's a good key and who's going to UWC to represent with us?

Chorus 1
To every week Themes, Themes, Themes
There is a Season so it seems
At midnight Hawaiian.

Chorus 2
Or in autos or gardens or in the streets singing goofy songs

One week we lauded the great Texas four.

To every week themes, themes, themes
There is a Season host's wild dreams
Like Ramones or The 80s, the Stones
Or praising baseball teams

We never know where we will end up
Sometimes there are prizes like plastic beer cups
Bottles of hot sauce and stickers and shirts
These make us happy like when we were young squirts…..

So search the forums on UU
you find some contests to look through
and you'll find the Seasons where
We'll be looking out for you!

YES YES YES.

(i will be there)