New custom Compass Rose tenor

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my new tenor. Rick and his crew outdid themselves. The biggest "flaw" I can find is that I can tell where there is a seam in the headstock binding. It's very faint. I had to really look for it. I picked it up on Friday and had to wait until today to take pictures. They're still not the best quality pics, but the darn thing is so shiny it's almost impossible to get good pics.

CR front shot.jpg
Front shot
CR body front angle.jpg
side view of top
CR mon extreme close up.jpg
close up of my mon (family crest) inlay by Larry Robinson
CR peghead detail.jpg
detail in the peghead
CR binding:purfling detail.jpg
close up of the binding/purfling

Congratulations Gary! Looks wonderful! I am glad you are happy.:D

Holy Black Knight Batman!!!! What an amazing creation. Congrats Gary! Specs?

CR full body back.jpg
the back (cherry back and sides, adi spruce top)
CR upper left bout back.jpg
close up left upper bout
CR heel close up.jpg
side view of the heel
CR lower bout back.jpg
close up lower bout
CR sideport.jpg
sound port and cantilevered fretboard (hard to see because of white binding)

Nice Gary..the workmanship still best around for Rick's prices..no one even close... you got to pay double in some cases to get a gloss finish like Rick's CRs..and the fit and finish..unreal...

the best polyester gloss finish in the business..wow

Rick still showing the young guys in his shop how to do it right..i am so glad I have my two Compass Rose ukes already(one on order) as I believe that Rick and Compass Rose going to get even more busy then they are now..

Congrat Gary!
and Rick too..nice work..

Last edited:
Let's see:

14 fret to the body
Adirondack spruce top
Cherry back and sides (the grain looks three dimensional but it doesn't come across in photos)
mahogany neck
ebony fretboard, peghead plate and bridge
inlay by Larry Robinson
Open geared tuners; antique gold finish
D-Tar Timberline pick up
white binding
abalone purfling around body and peghead

Here's a pick of the tuners CR peghead back.jpg

Last edited:
Aloha Gary,
Comgrats lovely lookin' Ukulele..wow love it man.....it was worth the wait brother....absoulutely stunning....can we have a sound sample...hee hee
Mahalo for sharing...wow wow wow

Aloha Gary,
Comgrats lovely lookin' Ukulele..wow love it man.....it was worth the wait brother....absoulutely stunning....can we have a sound sample...hee hee
Mahalo for sharing...wow wow wow

Thank you Stan. I'll bring it on my next trip to Oahu.

I really like the Rosette without the NSEW. Sound sample please. Adi spruce, Dtar pickup, inlay by Larry, abalone purfling...You really went all out and it's beautiful!!

What made you pick the adi / cherry wood combo?

It's gorgeous! I'd wolf whistle, if I weren't whistling impaired. Congrats again, Gary! Well wishes for much merry music making.

That is one amazing-looking Compass Rose! Congratulations! You must be in heaven with that thing (and yes, it will make you a better player because you won't ever want to put it down). I hope you bring it to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival with you.

I really like the Rosette without the NSEW. Sound sample please. Adi spruce, Dtar pickup, inlay by Larry, abalone purfling...You really went all out and it's beautiful!!

What made you pick the adi / cherry wood combo?

The NSEW is there, but it's black on black and very, very difficult to see.

I went to Rick's shop and he let me tap test all the tops he had (after teaching me what to listen for). He agreed the adi was the best, and I asked him if he could make it with the cherry because he had previously told me the wood will darken and turn reddish with exposure to light and I liked that idea. The top was extremely plain so I asked if we could spray it black, and then Rick suggested the white binding and the abalone purfling to add some bling but still keep it elegant looking. He definitely knows his stuff. I'm not arguing his pricing, but I honestly feel his ukes are underpriced for the quality craftsmanship and attention to detail each instrument receives. It's a work of art, but more importantly, it sounds better than it looks.

Thank you Rick!

It's lovely, but why is the spruce top black? Did you want it stained so that it doesn't even look like spruce?

It looked so plain. I bought this for a special birthday to myself so I wanted it to look special.

That is one amazing-looking Compass Rose! Congratulations! You must be in heaven with that thing (and yes, it will make you a better player because you won't ever want to put it down). I hope you bring it to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival with you.

I'll do my best to make sure you play it before then:)

Hey Mark..ours should be done soon..I am hoping for early next year..
I see the Cocobolo Compass Rose already gone at Gryphon..did you get it?

and Gary no forget your promise to me from almost a year ago..next trip to Oahu you have to show me your Beautiful CR..
that black stain really makes your uke Pop!

Last edited:
Top Bottom