PDA

View Full Version : New custom Compass Rose tenor

gyosh
05-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Here are some pics of my new tenor. Rick and his crew outdid themselves. The biggest "flaw" I can find is that I can tell where there is a seam in the headstock binding. It's very faint. I had to really look for it. I picked it up on Friday and had to wait until today to take pictures. They're still not the best quality pics, but the darn thing is so shiny it's almost impossible to get good pics.

Front shot
side view of top
close up of my mon (family crest) inlay by Larry Robinson
detail in the peghead
close up of the binding/purfling

Newportlocal
05-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Congratulations Gary! Looks wonderful! I am glad you are happy.:D

Hippie Dribble
05-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Holy Black Knight Batman!!!! What an amazing creation. Congrats Gary! Specs?

gyosh
05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
the back (cherry back and sides, adi spruce top)
close up left upper bout
side view of the heel
close up lower bout
sound port and cantilevered fretboard (hard to see because of white binding)

hawaii 50
05-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Nice Gary..the workmanship still best around for Rick's prices..no one even close... you got to pay double in some cases to get a gloss finish like Rick's CRs..and the fit and finish..unreal...

the best polyester gloss finish in the business..wow

Rick still showing the young guys in his shop how to do it right..i am so glad I have my two Compass Rose ukes already(one on order) as I believe that Rick and Compass Rose going to get even more busy then they are now..

Congrat Gary!
and Rick too..nice work..

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Let's see:

14 fret to the body
Adirondack spruce top
Cherry back and sides (the grain looks three dimensional but it doesn't come across in photos)
mahogany neck
ebony fretboard, peghead plate and bridge
inlay by Larry Robinson
Open geared tuners; antique gold finish
D-Tar Timberline pick up
white binding
abalone purfling around body and peghead

Here's a pick of the tuners 53312

mm stan
05-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Aloha Gary,
Comgrats lovely lookin' Ukulele..wow love it man.....it was worth the wait brother....absoulutely stunning....can we have a sound sample...hee hee
Mahalo for sharing...wow wow wow

AKuker
05-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Just beautiful! Congratulations!

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Congratulations Gary! Looks wonderful! I am glad you are happy.:D

Thanks Rich, can't wait to see yours.

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks John.

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:23 PM
Aloha Gary,
Comgrats lovely lookin' Ukulele..wow love it man.....it was worth the wait brother....absoulutely stunning....can we have a sound sample...hee hee
Mahalo for sharing...wow wow wow

Thank you Stan. I'll bring it on my next trip to Oahu.

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Just beautiful! Congratulations!

Thanks. .

Dan Uke
05-21-2013, 08:25 PM
I really like the Rosette without the NSEW. Sound sample please. Adi spruce, Dtar pickup, inlay by Larry, abalone purfling...You really went all out and it's beautiful!!

What made you pick the adi / cherry wood combo?

tigersister
05-21-2013, 08:27 PM
It's gorgeous! I'd wolf whistle, if I weren't whistling impaired. Congrats again, Gary! Well wishes for much merry music making.

itsme
05-21-2013, 08:36 PM
It's lovely, but why is the spruce top black? Did you want it stained so that it doesn't even look like spruce?

mds725
05-21-2013, 08:37 PM
That is one amazing-looking Compass Rose! Congratulations! You must be in heaven with that thing (and yes, it will make you a better player because you won't ever want to put it down). I hope you bring it to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival with you.

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
I really like the Rosette without the NSEW. Sound sample please. Adi spruce, Dtar pickup, inlay by Larry, abalone purfling...You really went all out and it's beautiful!!

What made you pick the adi / cherry wood combo?

The NSEW is there, but it's black on black and very, very difficult to see.

I went to Rick's shop and he let me tap test all the tops he had (after teaching me what to listen for). He agreed the adi was the best, and I asked him if he could make it with the cherry because he had previously told me the wood will darken and turn reddish with exposure to light and I liked that idea. The top was extremely plain so I asked if we could spray it black, and then Rick suggested the white binding and the abalone purfling to add some bling but still keep it elegant looking. He definitely knows his stuff. I'm not arguing his pricing, but I honestly feel his ukes are underpriced for the quality craftsmanship and attention to detail each instrument receives. It's a work of art, but more importantly, it sounds better than it looks.

Thank you Rick!

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:41 PM
It's lovely, but why is the spruce top black? Did you want it stained so that it doesn't even look like spruce?

It looked so plain. I bought this for a special birthday to myself so I wanted it to look special.

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:42 PM
That is one amazing-looking Compass Rose! Congratulations! You must be in heaven with that thing (and yes, it will make you a better player because you won't ever want to put it down). I hope you bring it to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival with you.

I'll do my best to make sure you play it before then:)

hawaii 50
05-21-2013, 08:45 PM

Hey Mark..ours should be done soon..I am hoping for early next year..
I see the Cocobolo Compass Rose already gone at Gryphon..did you get it?

and Gary no forget your promise to me from almost a year ago..next trip to Oahu you have to show me your Beautiful CR..
that black stain really makes your uke Pop!

gyosh
05-21-2013, 08:48 PM
I see the Cocobolo Compass Rose already gone at Gryphon..did you get it?

and Gary no forget your promise to me from almost a year ago..next trip to Oahu you have to show me your Beautiful CR..
that black stain really makes your uke Pop!

I haven't forgotten.

If I get Fremont black lines it'll look like there aren't any strings:)

hawaii 50
05-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I haven't forgotten.

If I get Fremont black lines it'll look like there aren't any strings:)

I think those strings would work on your Adi top..get a Fremont Soloist Polished wound LowG,it is silver gold in color..wow that might look crazy good!

pcspud
05-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Simply stunning!

keliiyama
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Wait....the Larry Robinson did the inlay?????? The master who did the Lindisfarne Project? Guys, go google Lindisfarne Project and pick up your jaws. That just became a treasure (which it already was;)

gyosh
05-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Wait....the Larry Robinson did the inlay?????? The master who did the Lindisfarne Project? Guys, go google Lindisfarne Project and pick up your jaws. That just became a treasure (which it already was;)

Yup, THAT Larry Robinson. Originally I was going to have my initials inlaid, a la Jake. After I found out Larry was going to be the inlay person Rick used, I stepped it up to my mon (family crest). It's no Celtic knot, but it is uniquely me and my heritage.

NewKid
05-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Wow Gary, that uke's getting into Holy Grail territory...just amazing! Congrats!

gyosh
05-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Wow Gary, that uke's getting into Holy Grail territory...just amazing! Congrats!

Thank you.

What strings do you have on your CR?

dkcrown
05-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Beautiful uke Gary. How's it sound? I guess good things really do come to those who wait!

Lexxy
05-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Video asap! I can't keep wondering how magical this uke sounds!!

mailman
05-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Here are some pics of my new tenor. Rick and his crew outdid themselves. The biggest "flaw" I can find is that I can tell where there is a seam in the headstock binding. It's very faint. I had to really look for it. I picked it up on Friday and had to wait until today to take pictures. They're still not the best quality pics, but the darn thing is so shiny it's almost impossible to get good pics.

Front shot
side view of top
close up of my mon (family crest) inlay by Larry Robinson
detail in the peghead
close up of the binding/purfling

That's gorgeous, Gary! I'd love to see more of the cherry, too; the back and sides....

mailman
05-22-2013, 02:38 AM
close up left upper bout
side view of the heel
close up lower bout

Thank you! I should have read ahead more....

mm stan
05-22-2013, 02:47 AM
I have not played a Cherry wood uke before...but it certainly looks real cherry.. love dat high gloss finish too....wow

caukulele
05-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Stunning Gary! Thanks for posting such great pictures.... I bet it sounds as sweet as it looks. You have a real beauty. Someday all the CR people should get together in the bay area...what incredible music we would make!!!!!!

teruterubouzu
05-22-2013, 02:54 AM
That is one sexy beast. I love the shiny black finish and the personalization.

Doc_J
05-22-2013, 02:59 AM
close up left upper bout
side view of the heel
close up lower bout
Congrats!
Beautiful design and build.
Cherry wood looks and sounds so good, especially on CR.

fumanshu
05-22-2013, 03:11 AM
Wow!!!! You have a very nice uke!!!!! I really dif that black look of the top, it's so different from that traditional look of whatever wood on the top....the black combine with the look of the headstock.....it's just perfect match!!

Any sound sample coming soon?

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

gyosh
05-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Stunning Gary! Thanks for posting such great pictures.... I bet it sounds as sweet as it looks. You have a real beauty. Someday all the CR people should get together in the bay area...what incredible music we would make!!!!!!

Last night at the uke meetup I go to semi regularly, there is a lady who offered me $1,500.00 cash for my Kamaka (almost sold it). I told her for that much money she could get the same type of uke I was waiting for, a Compass Rose. Last night she proudly came up to me with CR she bought at Gryphon and thanked me profusely for pointing her towards a CR. Turns out she spent most of her life as a professional cellist and definitely knew quality instruments. She was under the impression the K brands were the only ones who produced "real" instruments and then kept telling me how great the CR is :).

Duh.

maclay
05-22-2013, 03:38 AM
Congrats Gary...lovely uke!

Dougf
05-22-2013, 03:39 AM
Wow, absolutely gorgeous, I'd be afraid to touch it. :) I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

BlueLatitude
05-22-2013, 03:42 AM
That inlay is sooooooooooooooo cool.

Mandarb
05-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Looks good. Have fun and enjoy.

Dan Uke
05-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Yup, THAT Larry Robinson. Originally I was going to have my initials inlaid, a la Jake. After I found out Larry was going to be the inlay person Rick used, I stepped it up to my mon (family crest). It's no Celtic knot, but it is uniquely me and my heritage.

I love inlays that shows your heritage.

gyosh
05-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Congrats Gary...lovely uke!

Thanks Jake.

Someday a Hive! :)

Steedy
05-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Wow, congrats on an amazing instrument! I love the grain of that Cherry, and the Robinson inlay is definitely a crowning touch.

csibona
05-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Congratulations - it is likely the best looking Compass Rose I've ever seen.

kvehe
05-22-2013, 05:37 AM
Wow! That is really neat.

Wongo
05-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Wow that is stunning. Truly beautiful. Wishing you many happy strums together.

Rick Turner
05-22-2013, 05:56 AM
I'd like to thank Gary for his patience during the build of this one. It took us a while...for a bunch of reasons many of you know...but Gary hung in there with us during a difficult time.

I personally love the black top with the black peghead face. It really makes the abalone purfling "pop". And Larry's inlay work...well the guy literally wrote the book on modern musical instrument inlay, and I'm proud to say that I taught him his craft...in about 1974. He blows me...and most other people...off the map now with his skill level.

Now we've got to catch up with a bunch of other interesting custom orders! Thanks, folks.

Rick Turner
05-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Oh, about to be off-line for a week or so. Strawberry Music Festival time! Brought my uke...

hawaii 50
05-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Oh, about to be off-line for a week or so. Strawberry Music Festival time! Brought my uke...

Have fun Rick..

and congrats again this one of the nicest Compass Rose ukes I have seen, also pass the words to your crew.. many people appreciate their hard work....

looks like you guys are getting better with each build..

Gary's is so lucky and happy to have that beautiful C/R
keep on truckin..bruddah!

localmana
05-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Thanks for sharing pics of your CR. We need to have T shirts for us CR owners. Maybe Rick in his spare time...? I'm glad you got the inlay. I couldn't come up with a design when I got my CR and now wish I had one.
Congratulations.

Tack
05-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Nothing I can say which has not already been said..... Beautiful looking instrument Gary. Love to hear it one day :D

gyosh
05-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Nothing I can say which has not already been said..... Beautiful looking instrument Gary. Love to hear it one day :D

My sound sample will follow yours :)

Gillian
05-22-2013, 07:23 AM
I can't add anything to what has already been said. I love your idea of your family crest as the inlay. Very special.

Very happy for you, Gary.

BTW, the next SJUC meeting is next Tuesday, the 28th...;)

erivel
05-22-2013, 07:50 AM
I'll say it again Gary, that uke is stunning! I love the black top. I originally wanted a black top on my Olive Pohaku, but Peter talked me out of it.

gyosh
05-22-2013, 08:04 AM
I'll say it again Gary, that uke is stunning! I love the black top. I originally wanted a black top on my Olive Pohaku, but Peter talked me out of it.

Thanks Eric.

I don't think a black top would look as good if it weren't for Rick's skill in preparation and application of finish.

hawaii 50
05-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks Eric.

I don't think a black top would look as good if it weren't for Rick's skill in preparation and application of finish.

you are so right Gary..Rick takes so much pride in his Polyester gloss finish(not to mention all the time he takes on the prep and buffing out)..it shows,and one of those things..

until you hold one in your hands people have no idea..everyone can guess and act like they know..but have to see to believe huh?

gyosh
05-22-2013, 08:26 AM
you are so right Gary..Rick takes so much pride in his Polyester gloss finish(not to mention all the time he takes on the prep and buffing out)..it shows,and one of those things..

until you hold one in your hands people have no idea..everyone can guess and act like they know..but have to see to believe huh?

Hey Len, besides the proto type strings you have right now, what other strings do you think would work? You mentioned the Fremont black lines but I remember not liking them because of the boominess of the G compared to the C.

Pueo
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Gary that ukulele looks amazing. Congratulations! I think I need one for my birthday now!
Rick, I'll be in touch. :)

hawaii 50
05-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Hey Len, besides the proto type strings you have right now, what other strings do you think would work? You mentioned the Fremont black lines but I remember not liking them because of the boominess of the G compared to the C.

The new Fremont Soloist LowG wound polished string is really good,,very balanced works nice with the Blacklines(you have to buy this string individually)..and I think they would sound good on your Adi top..only a gut feeling though

fyi MGM says the Soloist his favorite LowG wound string right now too..when I hang with him at the store I hear and remember everything..twice he said to customers his Compass Rose his favorite uke..since he plays a lot of jazz on his ukes..wow

on my Koa CR I like the TN strings I told you about from PuaPua

but I am waiting for the Oasis tenor strings(Dave sent me and Stan test sets)..they are good..and Dave at Oasis looking to go with a Soloist type lowG..he say the soloist are flat wound polished..he actually bought some to test and says he likes them..and sent to his lab guys to see what it about..and the strings do not squeak..

the Oasis are perfect for Kanile'as and Kamaka's..cleans up the sound.. more clear and more sustain..

let me know if you want to try some of my stings..I still have 2 sets of the Southwest 650's you liked ..in fact I ordered them a while back on your recommendation..have not figured what to use them on...haha

you never going to put your CR down..hope you get the right strings for yourself soon..when I got my CR I changed strings 4 times in 10 days,,,,haha

hawaii 50
05-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Gary that ukulele looks amazing. Congratulations! I think I need one for my birthday now!
Rick, I'll be in touch. :)

Aloha Bruddah

yes best and most fun to order from Rick..
fyi The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) going to have 4 Compass Rose soon..ask Andrew or MGM when they coming

but to me the wait is fun too right Gary..was it worth it?

gyosh
05-22-2013, 08:51 AM
The Fremont Soloist LowG round wound polished string is really good,,very balanced works nice with the Blacklines..and I think they would sound good on your Adi top..only a gut feeling though

fyi MGM says the Soloist his favorite LowG wound string right now too..when I hang with him at the store I hear and remember everything..twice he said to customers his Compass Rose his favorite uke..since he plays a lot of jazz on his ukes..wow

on my Koa CR I like the TN strings I told you about from PuaPua

but I am waiting for the Oasis tenor strings(Dave sent me and Stan test sets)..they are good..and Dave at Oasis looking to go with a Soloist type lowG..he say the soloist are flat wound polished..he actually bought some to test and says he likes them..and sent to his lab guys to see what it about..and the strings do not squeak..

the Oasis are perfect for Kanile'as and Kamaka's..cleans up the sound.. more clear and more sustain..

let me know if you want to try some of my stings..I still have 2 sets of the Southwest 650's you liked ..in fact I ordered them a while back on your recommendation..have not figured what to use them on...haha

you never going to put your CR down..hope you get the right strings for yourself soon..when I got my CR I changed strings 4 times in 10 days,,,,haha

Put the G650's on something you feel is kind of subdued, low volume. It'll give it a big voice :)

hawaii 50
05-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Put the G650's on something you feel is kind of subdued, low volume. It'll give it a big voice :)

Thanks Gary..
maybe my new Vento..I should be getting it very soon..some people say his finish better than Rick's hard to believe..but I will know in a couple weeks..

My Graziano was like you described above,,I put the Fremonts on it last week and more clear sounding too and more sustain..not super loud but nice..and I just play for myself anyway..

have fun with your beautiful CR..

wadleysf
05-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Gary,

Wow. What more can I say. If that uke sounds half as good as it looks it'll be worth hanging on to for two lifetimes. You chose well. Really really nice. Love the contrast with the cherry back and sides.

A

NewKid
05-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Thank you.

What strings do you have on your CR?

I had the Southcoast ML-RWs (my favorites) and they were nice and clear but not as loud as on my other ukuleles. So then I went back to Aquilas (first time in a long time) with two wound strings (Low G and C) and I feel like I get the correct volume now and it sounds pretty good. I'm going to give the Aquilas a fair chance. I have the gloss finish on my CR and my uke feels like a beautiful cabinet or table - just so solid!

Dan Uke
05-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Don, SC came out with a new set. If you like the Aquilas, keep them on as sound is personal.

Ukejungle
05-22-2013, 12:48 PM

that was too funny.

Ukejungle
05-22-2013, 12:50 PM
wow that Uke is gorgeous.

Trey

NewKid
05-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Don, SC came out with a new set. If you like the Aquilas, keep them on as sound is personal..

Thanks Daniel, I saw your preview video and the new ML-SWs sounded great - though not fair putting them on an MBU because doesn't everything sound great on that instrument? I'm ordering the mediums and the heavy SWs for my tenors and baritones.

Mahalo,

Don

Dan Uke
05-22-2013, 03:14 PM

Thanks Daniel, I saw your preview video and the new ML-SWs sounded great - though not fair putting them on an MBU because doesn't everything sound great on that instrument? I'm ordering the mediums and the heavy SWs for my tenors and baritones.

Mahalo,

Don

I had the Flat Wounds on the MBU but didn't like them at all.

Gary just ordered the Smooth Wounds for his new CR. Would love to hear the sound sample after getting the new set. I think the Gold String is going to pop with the gold tuners

gyosh
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I had the Flat Wounds on the MBU but didn't like them at all.

Gary just ordered the Smooth Wounds for his new CR. Would love to hear the sound sample after getting the new set. I think the Gold String is going to pop with the gold tuners

I got the confirmation email that they shipped today so I'll probably have them by Saturday I'd imagine. I'll give them a few days to settle in and see what I can do for a sound sample. My playing isn't that good yet, but I know someone who might be willing to put it through it's paces for me. I'll email to ask him right now.

experimentjon
05-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Oh boy! That is some awesome abalone purfling on the body and headstock. Congrats on the new instrument!

gyosh
05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Oh boy! That is some awesome abalone purfling on the body and headstock. Congrats on the new instrument!

Thank you. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Now I just need to practice to do it justice:)

Tigeralum2001
05-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Congrats, Gary! I know it has been a long time coming and it definitely looks like it was worth the wait!

RichM
05-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Gary, I was going to make some snarky statement because I know how long you've been waiting for this uke. But I can't do it to you brother, because you done hit the ukulele jackpot. That's just beautiful and being a CR owner myself, I know how good it must sound. That's a uke to last a lifetime.

gyosh
05-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Aloha Bruddah

yes best and most fun to order from Rick..
fyi The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) going to have 4 Compass Rose soon..ask Andrew or MGM when they coming

but to me the wait is fun too right Gary..was it worth it?

Very much worth the wait.

gyosh
05-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Gary,

Wow. What more can I say. If that uke sounds half as good as it looks it'll be worth hanging on to for two lifetimes. You chose well. Really really nice. Love the contrast with the cherry back and sides.

A

Thank you. This summer when school is over I'll try to make it to a few of the Uke Rebellion meet ups. You can play it when I do.

gyosh
05-23-2013, 06:23 PM
I had the Southcoast ML-RWs (my favorites) and they were nice and clear but not as loud as on my other ukuleles. So then I went back to Aquilas (first time in a long time) with two wound strings (Low G and C) and I feel like I get the correct volume now and it sounds pretty good. I'm going to give the Aquilas a fair chance. I have the gloss finish on my CR and my uke feels like a beautiful cabinet or table - just so solid!

I just ordered two sets of the SC ML-SW's. I actually haven't been able to play it as much as you'd think with it being brand new, but today I noticed that it's not sounding as "tight" or new as it did last week. School lets out in two more weeks and I'll have all the time in the world to break it in and open it up.

I know what you mean about the smooth finish. I went out and got a strap because even sitting down it tends to slide off my lap :)

gyosh
05-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Congrats, Gary! I know it has been a long time coming and it definitely looks like it was worth the wait!

June 1st at Roy's? You can come down and play it.

gyosh
05-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Gary, I was going to make some snarky statement because I know how long you've been waiting for this uke. But I can't do it to you brother, because you done hit the ukulele jackpot. That's just beautiful and being a CR owner myself, I know how good it must sound. That's a uke to last a lifetime.

Thanks Rich. I'm having a hard time convincing people that I really did choose this for the sound. I picked the wood combination with Rick's guidance, and then together we blinged it up going back and forth with ideas. It was a fun process. I had no input on the bracing or anything other part of the build that affects tone. Why would I when Rick Turner was building it?!

But, I've read where it won't sound good since it's blinged out. Oh well:)

Tigeralum2001
05-23-2013, 07:01 PM
June 1st at Roy's? You can come down and play it.
I'll still be on island, but I'll take you up on it in July.

gyosh
05-23-2013, 07:04 PM
I'll still be on island, but I'll take you up on it in July.

Hey, maybe you'll run into Smiley:)

See you in July! Hopefully I'll have the strings dialed in by then.

hawaii 50
05-24-2013, 05:14 AM
Hey Gary..

I went down to HMS yesterday and had Corey play my Koa Compass Rose..wow he makes it sound like it supposed to sound..haha

808boy
05-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Aloha Gary and congrats on your CR.
Went to Ukulele Source on May 16th and met Smiley, nice guy. Told him that I knew you and Gillian.
Picking up my Wixom today, going to Maui next Tuesday for ???? long, hehe.
Catch you on the rebound..........................Bo............... ..

gyosh
05-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Aloha Gary and congrats on your CR.
Went to Ukulele Source on May 16th and met Smiley, nice guy. Told him that I knew you and Gillian.
Picking up my Wixom today, going to Maui next Tuesday for ???? long, hehe.
Catch you on the rebound..........................Bo............... ..

Have a great trip Bo.

Enjoyed your FB pics of Dodie's visit. Did you buy that Harley?

Have fun with your Wixom and try not to buy too many more on your trip:) Safe travels.

gyosh
05-24-2013, 06:11 AM
Hey Gary..

I went down to HMS yesterday and had Corey play my Koa Compass Rose..wow he makes it sound like it supposed to sound..haha

Yeah, you should hear one of my student's play my uke. Little jerk!!!:)

hawaii 50
05-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Yeah, you should hear one of my student's play my uke. Little jerk!!!:)

Haha Gary

that's what you get when you let those young kids play..at least Corey in his mid twenties..I no feel to bad..lol

lately Corey working at the store more,he helps Andrew set up the website and he is the main computer guy at HMS..MGM like me,we kind if low tech..haha

what you doing do if you son starts playing better than you,he sould play the CR...haha

mds725
05-24-2013, 06:29 AM
I'll do my best to make sure you play it before then:)

I can hardly wait! I've been playing my walnut CR a lot. We ought to organize a Compass Rose owners meetup at a cafe in Santa Cruz where we can all play each others' instruments.

I see the Cocobolo Compass Rose already gone at Gryphon..did you get it? .........

I brought my walnut CR to Gryphon last weekend and played both the Cocobolo CR and mine for a while. The Cocobolo was beautiful and sounded great, but it was a lot more expensive than mine due to all the bling -- binding, purfling, etc. I was tempted but couldn't justify spending the money with a CR I already love and another one on the way. I recorded a comparison sound sample of my walnut CR and Gryphon's Cocobolo CR and I'll post a link to it once I figure out how to upload it from the crazy app I used to record it. I'm still coming to Oahu one of these days to play your Koa CR.

hawaii 50
05-24-2013, 06:44 AM
I can hardly wait! I've been playing my walnut CR a lot. We ought to organize a Compass Rose owners meetup at a cafe in Santa Cruz where we can all play each others' instruments.

I brought my walnut CR to Gryphon last weekend and played both the Cocobolo CR and mine for a while. The Cocobolo was beautiful and sounded great, but it was a lot more expensive than mine due to all the bling -- binding, purfling, etc. I was tempted but couldn't justify spending the money with a CR I already love and another one on the way. I recorded a comparison sound sample of my walnut CR and Gryphon's Cocobolo CR and I'll post a link to it once I figure out how to upload it from the crazy app I used to record it. I'm still coming to Oahu one of these days to play your Koa CR.

Hey Mark anytime let me know..i know Stan's wants to show you his stuff if he is feeling good..
hopefully when I see you I will have my Macassar CR and some of my other ukes ready too..

that cocobolo CR gone..i thought you bought it..Haha
let me know when you coming..i am good friends with the HMS guys now..i get you a good deal,,MSRP plus 25%,,haha just joking..

gyosh
05-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Haha Gary

that's what you get when you let those young kids play..at least Corey in his mid twenties..I no feel to bad..lol

lately Corey working at the store more,he helps Andrew set up the website and he is the main computer guy at HMS..MGM like me,we kind if low tech..haha

what you doing do if you sone starts playing better than you,he sould play the CR...haha

That's a given. He'll be better than me within months of starting:)

hawaii 50
05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
That's a given. He'll be better than me within months of starting:)

Sorry Gary I guess son..does not have a "e" at the end of it..
I think I flunk spelling today...haha,, I tried at least a D plus

Dan Uke
05-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Hey Gary..

So were they impressed with the sound? You taking a non Hawaiian brand made out of Hawaiian koa...they going to be the toughest critiques!! LOL

Dan Uke
05-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Have a great trip Bo.

Enjoyed your FB pics of Dodie's visit. Did you buy that Harley?

Are we talking about Dodie from Canada?

gyosh
05-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Are we talking about Dodie from Canada?

She's from Hawaii.

Oh, got my Southcoast strings today. Too late to put them on now since my son is sleeping, but he might wake up tomorrow to the sound of tuning:)

Dan Uke
05-24-2013, 08:28 PM
She's from Hawaii.

Oh, got my Southcoast strings today. Too late to put them on now since my son is sleeping, but he might wake up tomorrow to the sound of tuning:)

Great...let's hear how your uke sing? I'm really interested as I'm getting a uke made of adi as well...however, I'm keeping it plain since we know bling don't sing. :p

hawaii 50
05-24-2013, 08:46 PM
So were they impressed with the sound? You taking a non Hawaiian brand made out of Hawaiian koa...they going to be the toughest critiques!! LOL

I had Corey play my Koa CR and he was impressed with the sound..when he plays My Compass Rose it is very happy..he make it sound so good! he says the action/setup was perfect..he finger picked all the songs he played for me..no strumming..just like I do..Wow Corey is as good as it gets..
side note..he plays the guitar just as well as the uke..

I told Corey I would trade all my nice ukes and just kept one to play..if I could play like him..

I forgot why I started to play the ukulele(went off and bought as many nice ukes as I could) but watching him play I know I am so far behind it is not funny..

Mike took my CR and played for 10 mins before a customer came in,,haha...Mike says his favorite uke to play at home is a Compass Rose..he likes playing jazz music with it..there should be 3 new CRs at HMS in July..

Dan Uke
05-25-2013, 04:45 AM
I told Corey I would trade all my nice ukes and just kept one to play..if I could play like him..

I forgot why I started to play the ukulele(went off and bought as many nice ukes as I could) but watching him play I know I am so far behind it is not funny

In due time my bruddah...we all run at our own pace

gyosh
05-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Great...let's hear how your uke sing? I'm really interested as I'm getting a uke made of adi as well...however, I'm keeping it plain since we know bling don't sing. :p

That's what I've heard too. Maybe I can scape off some of the purfling to make it sound better:)

Dan Uke
05-27-2013, 05:11 AM
That's what I've heard too. Maybe I can scape off some of the purfling to make it sound better:)

Gary, did you put the new strings on?

gyosh
05-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Gary, did you put the new strings on?

Yes I did.

Much better note separation and clear as a bell.

Loud!

Low end mellowed out, with much better balance.

I did develop a slight buzz but it's the electronics. I need to loosen up the pick up, rotate it a little and then tighten it again. I looked inside with a mirror and I can see where a wire is touching the top

consitter
05-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Gary, I'm so glad you've finally got your dream uke. You richly deserve it. May you play it in good health for many, many years to come.

mds725
05-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Gary, I'm jealous not only of your CR but also of the fact that your CR New Uke Day thread ended up being significantly longer than mine.

(Actually, this is mostly a bump to further extend the life of this thread.)

gyosh
05-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Gary, I'm jealous not only of your CR but also of the fact that your CR New Uke Day thread ended up being significantly longer than mine.

(Actually, this is mostly a bump to further extend the life of this thread.)

LOL!!

Thanks. When is your bari due?

Awesome that you will have the second one in existence:)

mds725
05-28-2013, 09:20 AM
LOL!!

Thanks. When is your bari due?

Awesome that you will have the second one in existence:)

No due date, to my knowledge, and I have no interest in pressuring Rick about it. I want him to get the whole baritone thing to the point where he's happy with the design. My dilemma, though (and maybe this will add multiple posts to your thread :) ) -- Rick is making me a baritone tuned GCEA an octave lower, but we also discussed a steel string baritone (which would require more soundboard bracing for the increased string tension). Do I try to get a second spot on his build list for a steel string baritone, or do I ask him to just convert my GCEA bari to a steel string bari?

Dan Uke
05-28-2013, 09:25 AM
No due date, to my knowledge, and I have no interest in pressuring Rick about it. I want him to get the whole baritone thing to the point where he's happy with the design. My dilemma, though (and maybe this will add multiple posts to your thread :) ) -- Rick is making me a baritone tuned GCEA an octave lower, but we also discussed a steel string baritone (which would require more soundboard bracing for the increased string tension). Do I try to get a second spot on his build list for a steel string baritone, or do I ask him to just convert my GCEA bari to a steel string bari?

That's a nice dilemma to have

gyosh
05-28-2013, 09:48 AM

I was talking to him about a short scale guitar, and that got him thinking that he could possibly use the baritone body for the scale I'm thinking about.

Hmmmmmm. . .

kvehe
05-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Do I try to get a second spot on his build list for a steel string baritone, or do I ask him to just convert my GCEA bari to a steel string bari?

Second spot. But that's just me. :)

gyosh
05-28-2013, 09:49 AM

If it hasn't been started and you really want the steel string, Rick would be the man that could do it and do it well!

hawaii 50
05-28-2013, 12:59 PM

I have no problems waiting for Rick to build my second Compass Rose..

but Mark you and I already have a few CRs so not in a rush..in fact I hope Rick takes until 2014 on mine as I know the wait is well worth it..and I can wait for a great build/uke anytime!..just like you

I don't know what to tell you on the steel string bari..I have enough trouble with a plain old tenor uke..
but just for fun I would get both and add on a very rare Compass Rose Acoustic Guitar that Rick has been building lately too..

Mark only my 2 cents

Gillian
05-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Gary brought his new CR to our uke meeting tonight for me to try. We all know it's beautiful to look at but how does it sound? Absolutely fabulous.

I was curious how it sounded amped because I'm getting Rick's D-TAR Timberline pickup in my CR. The fullness of the lows and clear smoothness of the highs was lovely to hear. It was also easy to play. The action was perfect. Gary made a good choice in putting Southcoast strings on his CR. They sounded sooo good!

Thanks for letting me play your CR, Gary.

hawaii 50
05-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Gary brought his new CR to our uke meeting tonight for me to try. We all know it's beautiful to look at but how does it sound? Absolutely fabulous.

I was curious how it sounded amped because I'm getting Rick's D-TAR Timberline pickup in my CR. The fullness of the lows and clear smoothness of the highs was lovely to hear. It was also easy to play. The action was perfect. Gary made a good choice in putting Southcoast strings on his CR. They sounded sooo goo

Hey Gillian

Your Compass Rose should be next..I am excited for you

I hope you post a video of you playing your beautiful CR..
the wait will be worth it..for sure!

take care

gyosh
05-29-2013, 02:53 AM

I was curious how it sounded amped because I'm getting Rick's D-TAR Timberline pickup in my CR. The fullness of the lows and clear smoothness of the highs was lovely to hear. It was also easy to play. The action was perfect. Gary made a good choice in putting Southcoast strings on his CR. They sounded sooo good!

My pleasure.

As soon as I find my nut files I'm going to take the "A" string down just a smidge. The action is just a tiny bit higher than the other strings.

mds725
05-29-2013, 04:56 AM
My pleasure.

As soon as I find my nut files I'm going to take the "A" string down just a smidge. The action is just a tiny bit higher than the other strings.

Hee hee. Gary said "nut files."

gyosh
05-29-2013, 04:59 AM

I would have re-typed that on the PoHo thread.

Dan Uke
05-29-2013, 05:53 AM

Too bad he is not taking the G string down just a smidge. Boys will be boys! LOL

Does that mean you like the SC strings? I feel some pressure since I recommended them. (exhales in relief)

gyosh
05-29-2013, 06:08 AM
Too bad he is not taking the G string down just a smidge. Boys will be boys! LOL

Does that mean you like the SC strings? I feel some pressure since I recommended them. (exhales in relief)

No pressure. I was already a Southcoast fanboy. Most of my ukes have G-650's on them. I just haven't ordered any of the new sets because I had so many of the old ones.

But yeah . . . the ML-SW's are amazing. Especially on the CR. I feel like they really drive the soundboard more than any other string. What's really amazing about the CR is that it sounds as beautiful at low volumes as it does when played harder. The note separation is very clear and distinct and the response is instant.

The new price of the SC strings sucks, but they're worth it.

hawaii 50
05-29-2013, 06:26 AM
No pressure. I was already a Southcoast fanboy. Most of my ukes have G-650's on them. I just haven't ordered any of the new sets because I had so many of the old ones.

But yeah . . . the ML-SW's are amazing. Especially on the CR. I feel like they really drive the soundboard more than any other string. What's really amazing about the CR is that it sounds as beautiful at low volumes as it does when played harder. The note separation is very clear and distinct and the response is instant.

Hey Gary I took your advice on the southcoast 650's(a year ago) but have not used them yet,how much are the new strings and does he send enough for two sets?

gyosh
05-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Hey Gary I took your advice on the southcoast 650's(a year ago) but have not used them yet,how much are the new strings and does he send enough for two sets?

Try them out on a uke you think is muted compared to the others. Or use them on your CR. I promise you'll like them better than what you have on now. FWIW, I think the ML-SW's are better than the G-650's. Might be the way they feel.

And sadly, they come long enough for a baritone, but not long enough for two sets..

Dan Uke
05-29-2013, 06:59 AM

I personally would not put them on a $100 instrument as it costs too much for the uke...sorta like putting Z rated tires on a avg. car. If I own a Mustang Cobra, another story!! Same for nice instruments, you really want the best to make it sing and I too recommend the new SW over the 650s.

hawaii 50
05-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Try them out on a uke you think is muted compared to the others. Or use them on your CR. I promise you'll like them better than what you have on now. FWIW, I think the ML-SW's are better than the G-650's. Might be the way they feel.

And sadly, they come long enough for a baritone, but not long enough for two sets..

Hey Gary is it $19.00 for one set..shipping included?
wow I've been changing strings on my CR every 3 or 4 months..wow again..might be out of my price range,I have have 7 ukes I might try them on..wow again...sorry I might have to pass

gyosh
05-29-2013, 07:22 AM
I personally would not put them on a $100 instrument as it costs too much for the uke...sorta like putting Z rated tires on a avg. car. If I own a Mustang Cobra, another story!! Same for nice instruments, you really want the best to make it sing and I too recommend the new SW over the 650s.

Daniel, meet Len. Len has no instruments that cost less than a K brand.:)

gyosh
05-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Hey Gary is it $19.00 for one set..shipping included?
wow I've been changing strings on my CR every 3 or 4 months..wow again..might be out of my price range,I have have 7 ukes I might try them on..wow again...sorry I might have to pass

Len, look at Daniels last post and reverse it. Would you put retreads on a Shelby Cobra?

IMHO . . . worth it!

Maybe not for all your ukes, but try them on one or two.

hawaii 50
05-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Len, look at Daniels last post and reverse it. Would you put retreads on a Shelby Cobra?

IMHO . . . worth it!

Maybe not for all your ukes, but try them on one or two.

Haha
that's a good one,,but I no drive my car everyday..the tires going stay on forever,,haha unless the rubber starts to melt..haha

I try a set but if he lower the price I am sure he sell more?(not only to me but the rest of the poor people like me..retired and no more money..)and I am the ultimate string junkie..but I might have to try something else..

gyosh
05-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Haha
that's a good one,,but I no drive my car everyday..the tires going stay on forever,,haha unless the rubber starts to melt..haha

I try a set but if he lower the price I am sure he sell more?(not only to me but the rest of the poor people like me..retired and no more money..)and I am the ultimate string junkie..but I might have to try something else..

Use the G-650's. They're the same as the ML-FW's (flat wound instead of smooth wound).

hawaii 50
05-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Use the G-650's. They're the same as the ML-FW's (flat wound instead of smooth wound).

Thanks Gary..next time I change strings on my CR I try the 650's..I had them for a while now..or maybe I try them on my Vento Music..I should have it soon!

CJ and me and Stan I hope going to KoAloha,meet Andrew for lunch and a quick tour of Ko'olau/Pono then to HMS tomorrow..should be good fun..and a nice clear cool day..

you see a vacation here in the future yet?

gyosh
05-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks Gary..next time I change strings on my CR I try the 650's..I had them for a while now..or maybe I try them on my Vento Music..I should have it soon!

CJ and me and Stan I hope going to KoAloha,meet Andrew for lunch and a quick tour of Ko'olau/Pono then to HMS tomorrow..should be good fun..and a nice clear cool day..

you see a vacation here in the future yet?

Maybe you could sneak out a rosewood b/s, adi spruce top cutaway at Pono for me:)

Have a great time. Tell CJ I said hi and my next trip won't be until next year at the earliest unless something drastically positive happens. One can hope:)

hawaii 50
05-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Maybe you could sneak out a rosewood b/s, adi spruce top cutaway at Pono for me:)

Have a great time. Tell CJ I said hi and my next trip won't be until next year at the earliest unless something drastically positive happens. One can hope:)

ok I do the best I can to sneak it out of HMS..haha
the Macassar Ebony/Cedar one's beautiful and the most popular model..but I liked the Mahogany/Spruce one that was there..they all have slotted headstocks and curly Koa binding..wow

I going to the Pono warehouse to see Andrew..i look for a blemish one for you..if they have any..you never know maybe the price to hard to pass up..

hopefully things change for you soon..hope to see you here..

Newportlocal
05-29-2013, 08:47 AM

I just mailed two sets of the ML-SWs to Rick. One set for my uke and one set for Rick to try out.

NewKid
05-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi Richard, I just put the ML-SWs on my Compass Rose last night. I love the golden 4th string!

I'm glad to read that you'll be getting your Compass Rose soon.

Mahalo,

Don

Newportlocal
05-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Hi Richard, I just put the ML-SWs on my Compass Rose last night. I love the golden 4th string!

I'm glad to read that you'll be getting your Compass Rose soon.

Mahalo,

Don

Hope you are right.:D I am optimistic. I got an email from Rick a few weeks ago saying it was going in the booth. Really looking forward to it.