How to hold down two strings on one fret?

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new ukulele (and instrument in general) player. I just got my ukulele yesterday and so far I have just been messing around, practicing strumming and learning some chords.

I am having trouble playing chords where you have to hold down two strings on one fret, such as the G7 chord. I can eventually manage to get all my fingers situated so as to be able to strum the chord so it sounds good, but it takes a few a seconds of doing and effort in terms of rearranging my fingers and such. It just feels really unnatural. It's hard to imagine one day being able to swiftly play a chord like that as I'm playing a song.

Is it just something that takes practice and persistence to eventually overcome, or are there some tips or pointers to know? Is this just because I'm new to playing a musical instrument and so everything is going to feel awkward at first?

Thanks in advance for responses.

Also, could a moderator or administrator change my thread title to something appropriate, I'm really tired and I accidentally put in the image verification text to the title box. Lol.

Mod: Done! Hope you like your new thread title. :) - Ukulele JJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just something that takes practice and persistence to eventually overcome, or are there some tips or pointers to know? Is this just because I'm new to playing a musical instrument and so everything is going to feel awkward at first?

Thanks in advance for responses.

The short answer to that is yes and yes.

It takes time and practice to get familiar with placing your fingers correctly for chords and equally important, moving from one chord to another.

When changing chords:
* you have more time than you think, so don't be afraid to take your time
* You don't have to put your fingers down at the same time, they can go one after another - again no need to rush.
* Look for fingers that don't have to move, if there is one it makes the change easier - going between G7 & F, you can leave the finger on the E string in place. If all fingers have to move, look for the one that moves the least and use that finger as an "anchor". You can do that moving from C to G7. Use your ring finger for C, move it back one fret then put the other two fingers down. For C to F, use your ring finger for C, put your index finger on the E string, then your middle finger on the G string while lifting your ring finger off the A string.

Practice the changes without strumming until they feel comfortable, then try strumming while making the changes.

Someone will recommend Uncle Rod's Boot Camp sooner or later. A lot of people find it very useful, so I suggest you look into it.

Also, could a moderator or administrator change my thread title to something appropriate, I'm really tired and I accidentally put in the image verification text to the title box. Lol.

On the bottom left of each post is a triangle with an exclamation mark. That is a link to contact the mods. You can then ask them directly to change the thread title. Suggest the change you would like to them.

Top Bottom