Ukulele Workshop in San Diego - January 2009

JoeyJr858

Reaction score
Hello UU fam!!!

After having such a great turnout last July for Aldrine Guerrero and the Ukulele Underground's workshop... once again, the Pacific Arts Dance Studio is proud to announce that we will be hosting yet another great ukulele workshop to Maui's virtuoso, Derick Sebastian. Check him out @ www.dericksebastian.com

_SebastianFlyer4.jpg

Here's the details...

Date: Saturday, January 17th, 2009
6904 Miramar Road, Suite 104
San Diego, CA 92121
(lower level of mall behind Denny's)
Times: Beginners session: 10:00 - 11:00am
Intermediate/Advanced: 12:00 - 1:00pm
Costs: $20/person or $30 total for both classes!
Contacts: Flo/Branden @ the studio 858.566.3800 PacificArtsDS@gmail.com
or Joey Villena Jr. @ 858.248.1208 jrvillena@yahoo.com

Hopefully we'll see you there, and definitely feel free to pass the word to anyone you think may be interested!

Mahalo nui loa,

`><((((º> `><((((º> Joey Jr `><((((º> `><((((º>
Cell: 858-248.1208 (text capable)

Last edited:
Just posted this on the Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers, Ukulele Society of America and Wind an Sea Ukulele Orchestra websites, Joey. I'll start workin' on da' boss so I can make it, too! Ric

It sounds good but I'm curious. If you want to attend both sessions would we have to pay $20.00 for each or is it just one charge?

What's going to happen in the workshop? Never experienced an occasion. I suspect it's no different than a dance workshop :)

when I spoke to Derick about his format, he said generally he shows and teaches all his variations of strumming and picking and how to incorporate these techniques into songs. There will be open discussion after each class for further questions about technique and approaches. For everyone attending he will also be providing a DVD w/ footage of himself discussing those techniques again and what was taught in each class so you don't have to stress on taking notes.

It's really nice when we can get these virtuoso ukulele players like Aldrine and Derick available to speak to and learn from in person. I recommend gathering as many questions you may have and get as many answers you can! It's not everyday we get these talented guys in from the islands, yeah?

AND bring your sharpie markers to get your ukes signed! AND you're digital cameras!! Makes for great memories!

pass the word! Shoots!

What's going to happen in the workshop? Never experienced an occasion. I suspect it's no different than a dance workshop :)

The Pacific Arts Dance Studio is a prime venue for teaching. There is a mirror covering the wall behind the instructors that allows us to see all angles of what's going on. I went to the workshop with Aldrine and Rayan and even though the studio was packed, the lessons were very intimate. Aldrine and Rayan spent the time with each of us individually to make sure we understood the material. For those who don't know, Aldrine's a high school music teacher an an excellent one at that. Those of us who attended will attest to that. I also learned how to play a Tahitian percussion there. The instructor spoke no English, but was still able to coach all of us individually how to get it right. Joey Junior used to be a high school music teacher, too. He's an excellent instructor and any San Diegan's that want to turbocharge their ukulele learning curve should sign up for his next class session. Ric

Saturday's gonna' be a great workshop for sure. Derick gave a mini workshop a few minutes before his concert last night at the Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers in Encinitas last night. He told me he's going to be teaching his strumming methods and fingerpicking. Derick is a natural at breaking it down into layman's terms. This is gonna' be way cool! Ric

awesome WearyMicrobe! =)

I saw Derick play last night at Seau's last night in person. 1 WORD... AMAZING!! Talked to him after and he's SUPER stoked and SUPER humble to be here in the mainland!!!

Saturday... can't wait..!!!

Awesome, Mike! Are ya' gonna teach, too? Mo' bettah! Derick told me he's gonna teach us all his strums and fingah' picken' techniques, too!

Ditto on 'dat, Joey! Yo' homeboy Derick smokes da' fretboard. He speaks fluent Pidgin 'n Fob, too! LOLZ! Ric

Top Bottom