First Ukulele...

Dope Antelope

Reaction score
Hi I am a total beginner to the ukulele.. i have minimal experience with guitars.
Basically I am looking to purchase my first uke.
I live in the UK and I'm looking for something that isn't completely extortionate because I am still a beginner, but not something that you would find wrapped up under the Christmas tree for a 5 year old, if you get me?

I love the look of black ukes, but tbh if there are any models that you could point my way so I have somewhere to start looking, that would be great.

I'm really looking for a decent uke that i dont have to replace when I (hopefully) start to pick it up and become a better player.

Any suggestions on makes/models will be appreciated.

From what I read it's just a coloured SK10 which retail about £20 less?
Ohana have a good name for ukes in their price range. Ken Middleton is the rep for Ohana in the uk and posts on here.
Is it a soprano you want? Suggest either getting to a store and trying the various sizes, and find which size you prefer. Alternativley find your local uke group and pop along.
Be aware the baritone is strung differently to the soprano, concert and tenor ukes.
The most important thing is that the setup is good, some of the cheaper ukes can be hit and miss, which makes buying from a store preferrable to buying off amazon/ebay. People here recommend stores like HMS, Mim's ukes along with others for the work they carry out setting up the uke, but by the time you add shipping, import duties VAT etc., it adds an awfull lot to the price of the uke.
Where in the uk are you?
H

From what I read it's just a coloured SK10 which retail about £20 less?
Ohana have a good name for ukes in their price range. Ken Middleton is the rep for Ohana in the uk and posts on here.
Is it a soprano you want? Suggest either getting to a store and trying the various sizes, and find which size you prefer. Alternativley find your local uke group and pop along.
Be aware the baritone is strung differently to the soprano, concert and tenor ukes.
The most important thing is that the setup is good, some of the cheaper ukes can be hit and miss, which makes buying from a store preferrable to buying off amazon/ebay. People here recommend stores like HMS, Mim's ukes along with others for the work they carry out setting up the uke, but by the time you add shipping, import duties VAT etc., it adds an awfull lot to the price of the uke.
Where in the uk are you?
H

Thanks for the response. Yeah i've been looking at the sopranos and I live in Southampton.

If you live in Southampton - I would strongly urge you take a trip to the Southern Uke Store - not that far away from you. Their guys are excellent in assisting your choice. You can browse the internet for weeks and read all the reviews you like, but nothing beats playing several ukes in the flesh.

Just a quick threadjack- MisterRios, I LOVE your avatar!!

Top Bottom