Aquila Red Series and Mahalo

tonet

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Did you checked the Aquila Red Series strings with a Mahalo U30 soprano ukulele (the cheapest one)? Are they better than Aquila Nylguts on this ukulele? Many thanks.

Anybody play with red series from Aquila with the soprano version on any ukulele brand? What are your impressions? Regards.

I can't attest to using the reds on a soprano, but my mom has an Oscar Schmidt OU3 concert and we've tried many different strings to find the right voice for that uke. We settled on the regular Aquilas, though it still wasn't quite right. Once the reds came out, I slapped a set of them on that uke, and those ARE the right strings for the uke. It really opened it up quite nicely. The uke sounds as one would think it would. That, and my mom loves the feel of those strings. The regular nylgut would hurt her fingers after 30-minutes of playing, but now she can play on the reds all day.

Dan

Anybody play with red series from Aquila with the soprano version on any ukulele brand? What are your impressions? Regards.

I have red series on my makala dolphin. Not sure if it's better than the very popular regular aquilas most people put on this uke, but I like it a lot.

Sounds mellow, the feel is an interesting texture (ceramic is the only word I have for it) but it's very pleasant to play. The biggest thing is putting them on an uke that goes well with red:

http://jonthysell.com/2013/04/15/autobots-transform-and-uke-out/

Your Makala looks nice, Jon. It would be nice to listen this uke....:)

Drbekken, I am waiting for your video. ;)

Anybody knows the gauges of Aquila Red series soprano strings?

Very nice video, drbekken. The red series low g soprano in this video sound more like fluorocarbon (Aka Freemonts) than Nylon. How is the tension? Nylguts on Sopranos always seem floopy to me.

Top Bottom