G#, c#, f, a#

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering, does anyone tune up half a step to G#, C#, F, A#? I've done it on my Kanile'a concert with living water strings and it sounds just right. Everything seems to resonate beautifully and it sounds so sweet. I find G re-entrant just doesn't do it a step up to the A too much.

I know it would be awkward transposing chords when playing with others but since I play on my lonesome that's not a problem! :)

Matt

If you really want to tune this way, I suggest you just play GCEA chords.
Since you play alone your C will really be a C# and won't matter.
When playing with others you can easily tune down and be right there with everyone else.

I just did it to my soprano just because of this thread and it sounds so much better.

Actually, tuning it back and listening to the difference, I like the regular tuning better.

Last edited:
I've not tried that tuning though I do keep a uke in regular D-tuning, A D F# B. I find it useful to have ukes in different tunings for their different tones. I like the brightness of D-tuning and will often choose that uke to accompany songs in D rather than playing in D on a GCEA tuned uke. It's a matter of which chord voicings work best for a particular song.

Top Bottom