Degree of synergy between uke and other instruments?

Reaction score
I was wondering what this community thought about the viability of the ukulele in a band. I was thinking that it would be cool to include a ukulele player in an indie folk type project. I know that the mandolin is louder and considered more versatile, but I think the ukulele could work well too provided the proper provisions are met.

We use a uke in our folk band, though it's our guitarist who usually plays it. I normally play flute recorders & harmonica, though I have played uke occasionally. It helps us provide us a variety of different textures in our music.

We use ukulele in Banana and Louie and A Fine Day for Sailing, my indiepop bands. You just need to get one with a decent pick up or mic it well. We played some festivals quite loudly and still managed to get it in the mix successfully with drums, bass, electrics and a string section.

Of course it really shines at smaller venues. We do the odd acoustic gig and it's a lovely addition.

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Uke fed through a POD effects Unit in our Blues Band. No problems!

There are loads of new young bands of all colours and persuasions introducing the Uke into their mix :).

Top Bottom