Something to protect Uke under the sound hole?

Ukejungle

Reaction score
I have a habit of anchoring my pinky on the uke sound board right below where you would find a pick guard (on a guitar or uke). During this has deposited a lot of oil on the soundboard, for one making it really shinny. (see pic) this is only 2 months of playing my Gretsch.

is there a plastic film I can lay down on top of the uke to protect it or should I just not worry about it. I cant imagine getting a "K" brand and seeing this after a few months. Then again just get a gloss finish, :) .

Questions:
Any harm here with the oil and would you put something on your uke if this was a new "k" brand.

Thanks,
Trey

Attachments

• shinnyuke.jpg
    shinnyuke.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 61
I have a habit of anchoring my pinky on the uke sound board right below where you would find a pick guard (on a guitar or uke). During this has deposited a lot of oil on the soundboard, for one making it really shinny. (see pic) this is only 2 months of playing my Gretsch.

is there a plastic film I can lay down on top of the uke to protect it or should I just not worry about it. I cant imagine getting a "K" brand and seeing this after a few months. Then again just get a gloss finish, :) .

Questions:
Any harm here with the oil and would you put something on your uke if this was a new "k" brand.

Thanks,
Trey
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials/Clear_Pickguard_Materials.html?tab=Details

Personally, I wouldn't sweat that kind of small stuff. Instruments that are played are going to pick up some wear - nothing sadder than a 10 year old instrument that looks like it's never been touched!

That said, I have heard of people using the plastic sheets that they sell to protect cell phones because they basically stick by static cling and don't leave any residue - when one gets looking ratty you just throw it away and put another on.

I haven't tried it myself, though.

John

I have the same shiny spot on my uke, but it's from the pointer finger hitting the uke after a down strum.

A shiny spot on a uke means "this uke is played by someone cool". Nice shine, Ukejungle! Keep it up!!

Yeah I agree. I like to see shiny spots on ukuleles as it just shows they've been played and enjoyed - and are likely to be opening up. My LoPrinzi already has a slight dip towards the end of the fretboard from my strumming. I like it. It just proves to me I'm playing it all the time!

If you're worried about the oil, just go with a gloss finish and wipe off.

I do believe some people are benefited by pickguards though. When you look at the scratches on Aldrine's transparent pickguards, you can see that it did do its job in protecting the finish and the wood.

Top Bottom