Is it too soon to change strings?

silveraven

Reaction score
After playing my Luna Honu for about two weeks, I can't seem to decide if I like the sound of the Aquila strings. In my enthusiasm, I bought some spare strings to keep in my case (just in case): Fremont Fluorocarbon Blackline and PhD ukulele strings. The two sets are definitely different from nylguts, but I'm not sure if I should persevere for another, say, three months before swapping the strings? Is it too soon? Can the old strings be kept and reused (since it's only two weeks) if I decided that I prefer Aquilas?

I got a new Pono AC and have been swapping strings to find "the ones". I would leave them on long enough to fully stretch out and then play them for a week. You can always swap back, just remember to label which string is which! It's funny how different ukes respond to different strings. I thought the Fremonts would work but they seem quitter and not as much bass as Living Water Strings. I still have a couple options to try.

Good luck and happy string hunting

If you're not liking them, I see no problem swapping them out. And yes, you can reuse strings provided they're not wound.

It's never too early to change strings. Strings are cheap, too cheap to perhaps spend three months with strings you aren't crazy about when there are others that might make your enjoyment of the uke much greater.

Also, if you are careful, you can save the strings you take off and reinstall them later if, after trying the others, you decide they weren't so bad after all.

John

Thanks all!

I didn't want to waste the Aquilas that's why I thought I should wait three months before changing. Tried searching to find out if I can reuse strings and couldn't seem to find a confirmed answer. Thanks again. :)

Aloha SilverRaven,
I would give Oasis strings a try or martin M600....lot sweeter and may be what you need....Freemonts are on the bright side like aquilas as for PHD's got a set but did not try them
you can get Oasis strings from Strings by Mail..http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/ukulele-strings-684/oasis-ukulele-strings-2521/ , it a double set for 2 ukes and martin strings from elderly Music, http://elderly.com/accessories/items/M600.htm and Yes to your Question, it you don't like the sound of your uke....strings are the first option as thay are like the voice box of your uke
Good Luck and Happy Strummings....

Aloha SilverRaven,
I would give Oasis strings a try or martin M600....lot sweeter and may be what you need....Freemonts are on the bright side like aquilas as for PHD's got a set but did not try them
you can get Oasis strings from Strings by Mail..http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/ukulele-strings-684/oasis-ukulele-strings-2521/ , it a double set for 2 ukes and martin strings from elderly Music, http://elderly.com/accessories/items/M600.htm and Yes to your Question, it you don't like the sound of your uke....strings are the first option as thay are like the voice box of your uke
Good Luck and Happy Strummings....

I checked out Strings by Mail and was thinking of adding a pack of Worth Browns into my cart...when I realise there's so many kinds of Browns... :eek:

Because they can be re-used - every new uke I buy gets several string types tested on it in the first few weeks until I settle on what I think suits the instrument best.

I say go for it!

Because they can be re-used - every new uke I buy gets several string types tested on it in the first few weeks until I settle on what I think suits the instrument best.

I say go for it!

Don't think I can reuse the Aquila strings I took off. They were pretty rough at certain spots, maybe due to sandpaper when the frets were dressed. The ends were also snipped off so I might not be able to string them up again because they're too short.

I'm using Fremont Blacklines now, waiting for the strings to stretch. I think I have USAS...my cart at Elderly has $30-worth of strings.

Don't think I can reuse the Aquila strings I took off. They were pretty rough at certain spots, maybe due to sandpaper when the frets were dressed. The ends were also snipped off so I might not be able to string them up again because they're too short.

I'm using Fremont Blacklines now, waiting for the strings to stretch. I think I have USAS...my cart at Elderly has $30-worth of strings.

Aloha SilverRaven,
If you buy 49.00 of merchandise from Elderly Music....I think the still may have free shipping..just ask... may help get a few sets free...hee hee I am a SE (string enabler)

Heh, heh. I can relate. I have a 7"X12"X5" deep plastic box filled to the top with strings packed in snugly. That's easily several times the selection of ukulele strings at any of the music stores around here.

John

I'm actually on my way out now to buy a box (or small suitcase or backpack?) for all of the strings I've bought lately. The people at Elderly must think I'm nuts. I used to keep them in the front zip section of my little carry-on sized roller suitcase that is full of music and instruction books, but the last few Elderly orders have made it impossible to zip.

I'm actually on my way out now to buy a box (or small suitcase or backpack?) for all of the strings I've bought lately. The people at Elderly must think I'm nuts. I used to keep them in the front zip section of my little carry-on sized roller suitcase that is full of music and instruction books, but the last few Elderly orders have made it impossible to zip.

...you sound like you live out of suitcases :confused:

I've had my uke for exactly eight days now.

Today I put on my third set of strings.

Southcoast ML-SW for the win!!!

So no. It's not too early.

in my first uke i change the strings every 15 days stretch.. stretch and test a new one.. i put martin m600, aquilas, hilo, and keep t2 titanium now... waiting for the worth fluorocarbon from ebay now... when i remove a set i put the strings in the new set envolve and if i dont like the sound i return to the old ones... remember, dont cut to much the new ones or put this in other uke latter is a pain...

Ivan

Top Bottom