MiSi vs Baggs Five.0

Gadzukes!

Reaction score
Thinking of having a pickup installed into my Kala. Is the Baggs Five.0 worth an extra $40 over the MiSi? I've read conflicting opinions.

HMS had a great review of several of the pickups and you'll always get conflicting opinions if you ask which is better.

I personally liked the 5.0's sound.

[video]http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?79514-Ukulele-Pickups-Video-Comparison[/video]

You can't tell diddly from an online video because of the audio compression. And that thread was where I saw people saying they preferred both of them. :) Tough call.

You can't tell diddly from an online video because of the audio compression. And that thread was where I saw people saying they preferred both of them. :) Tough call.

ok then I say the baggs..
my 2 cents

I have the Baggs in my KoAloha thinline tenor and I have the MiSi in my KoAloha concert and I prefer the sound that comes out of the Baggs pickup.

I don't have the Baggs. I do have the MiSi. I like the MiSi but will probably have a Baggs in my next uke for the simple reason that the MiSi preamp has far too wide a frequency response, having been intended for everything from double bass on up which means you need a lot of outboard EQ to clean up the piezo "thud" that tends to be more obvious on small instruments than on full range ones. (Both of my MiSis are the original ones, it is possible that the new one for ukes has better EQ, but I think all they did was shorten the piezo wire.)

Anyway, I've had Baggs stuff on guitars before and loved it so the next uke will have Baggs unless something even better comes along mean time.

Actually, what I'd really like is a hybrid system with a Baggs 5.0 and a good soundboard transducer...

John

Thanks for all the great information, everyone. Sounds like the Five.0 is the way to go.

Not to muddy up the water, but I really like the K&K twin spot.
It sounds more like a ukulele than my UST MiSi.

Not to muddy up the water, but I really like the K&K twin spot.
It sounds more like a ukulele than my UST MiSi.

Yeah...I prefer soundboard pickups, but live they can be a bit of a pain...I tend to move about a lot and that makes noise a problem...that's why I'd like to have a hybrid system with a stereo jack - UST on one channel, soundboard xducer on the other, and blend them pretty easily with a simple "mixer" plug when desired.

John

I have the Baggs in one uke, and the K&K in an other, I can't speak to the MISI, I'd pick the Baggs over the K$K . just sayn, any day

I've never heard the MISI but I did put the Baggs 5.0 in my HF-3 and like it well enough that if I amplify another of my ukes I'll get the Baggs again.

Top Bottom