KoAloha concert identification

Tele295

Reaction score
This is different than the other KoAlohas I've seen - particularly the carved "KoAloha" on the bridge and the wood dots. It's used, so an older model? Any insights?

Actually,
It's a newer model. They have been using that laser etched bridge in the last couple of years. The build date should be inside on the neck block.

A great ukulele, I have a KoAloha concert that is amazing!

nope not old. you can find the date and year made on the neck block . look into the sound hole and look towards the neck block.

I didn't get a chance to look at the block. I compared it against the pictures at KoAloha's site and at HMS, and they showed a very plain bridge. Do you think $700 is on the high side of prices for a used concert? I could tell if it was a refin or not - there was a lot of orange peel texture in the finish.

It was a very nice sounding uke, and I think this is the first time I had played a KoAloha, although I was listening to Jason Arimoto play his KoAloha earlier this week and liked his sound.

Check ebay as an indicator of average prices for used items. If it's outside ebay, I would offer lower as there aren't steep fees for the seller.

I personally would offer 20%-25% discount on used items unless they are very hard to find or I really wanted it. If this uke was made before the price hike, I would take that into consideration and offer slightly less.

If there's a black line on the bottom right corner, then it's a factory second. Good luck.

I didn't get a chance to look at the block. I compared it against the pictures at KoAloha's site and at HMS, and they showed a very plain bridge. Do you think $700 is on the high side of prices for a used concert? I could tell if it was a refin or not - there was a lot of orange peel texture in the finish.

It was a very nice sounding uke, and I think this is the first time I had played a KoAloha, although I was listening to Jason Arimoto play his KoAloha earlier this week and liked his sound.

KoAloha's website hasn't been updated in a millennium or two. LOL That said they do make great ukuleles. The laser etched bridge is pretty new (my Jan 2010 longneck soprano has the straight unetched bridge).

John

They actually updated it this year...huge revamp
http://www.koaloha.com/

OH...then I apologize - It's probably been a year since I'd given up on the site! :)

Edit: Oops, followed the link, I take back half of my apology :) They've definitely revamped the site but they're still using out-of-date photos of the most important thing, the products!

John

Yes like everyone said, it's their latest model...when buying used, condition and tone matters....if mint and new looking, 700 is on the high scale just a bit but not bad for the conus
You can get seconds brand new for less....but otherwise it's a great uke.....narrower frets makes it harder on beginners which is good, so you can work on your sloppy playing..LOL
if you are looking at the one in the forums marketplace...it's almost new and sounds like a great deal....

Last edited:
Wow, they must have just updated their site. I kept trying it about two months ago when I bought my KoAloha and besides the main page every link was broken.

Have seller take picture of label. If there is a black mark on the bottom right or left it is a second.

OH...then I apologize - It's probably been a year since I'd given up on the site! :)

Edit: Oops, followed the link, I take back half of my apology :) They've definitely revamped the site but they're still using out-of-date photos of the most important thing, the products!

John

Indeed, they could use an intern to update some of the content. ;)

The products have certainly gone through several iterations since the content was originally created--which was before I started playing about 5 years ago. And they have new lines too (red label, white label) KoAlana coming back, new bridges, updated Sceptre design and more.

But the layout is definitely a step up! Although we are greeted by an ages-old pic of Alan...

Indeed, they could use an intern to update some of the content. ;)

The products have certainly gone through several iterations since the content was originally created--which was before I started playing about 5 years ago. And they have new lines too (red label, white label) KoAlana coming back, new bridges, updated Sceptre design and more.

But the layout is definitely a step up! Although we are greeted by an ages-old pic of Alan...
Updated sceptre design?

The texture is from their open pore gloss finish. Certainly a bit unusual compared to a high gloss finish.

Top Bottom