PDA

View Full Version : Official Bay Area Meet Up *read 1st post for updates*

Pages : [1] 2

Fred Miu
02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
****EDIT*** THIS FIRST POST WILL ALWAYS BE CHANGED FOR EVERY MEET UP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Final Edit August 1st 2009 meet up.*

The Bay Area Meet Up will be at the Aloha Festival in SF. Bring your Ukulele, song songs, something to drink, some nice clothes to wear (including an UkuleleUnderground shirt if you have one), and a whole bunch of energy.

More information about the Aloha Fest itself, check right here (http://www.pica-org.org/AlohaFest/index.html) and read up.

Meeting Time: meet up around 11ish or noon(no set meeting time, get there when you get there. we will all be enjoying the great times)

parking is $7, so if you wish to meet up with some people and caravan over, thats probably a best idea.

-Fred

kyle
02-20-2008, 04:44 PM
ahh my spring break is the next week and i got class all day wednesday

Fred Miu
02-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Lame....i might make it the friday too, we will see. keep posting or check back

Fred Miu
02-26-2008, 01:13 PM
is nobody available? i could change the meet up date.

jjsdad
02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I live in SF, but work down the Penninsula so I can't make it on a work day. How about a weekend in Golden Gate Park? But, then we would have to compete with all the drummers...

Fred Miu
02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
does you work have a spring break by chance?

if thats the case, i could change it to the Saturday. march 22nd

IamRobbyah
02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
cool, my first post! i'm dyin to get on a jam session! there are a lot of uke players up where i live (vallejo, american canyon), but i'm too bashful to try an befriend any of them.

my spring break is the last week of march, but any weekend meet, i'd be down, jus lemme know in advanced so i can get the time off!

edit: im a total newb... takin lessons, but not entirely satisfied with my instructor's direction.

Fred Miu
02-27-2008, 11:40 AM
cool, my first post! i'm dyin to get on a jam session! there are a lot of uke players up where i live (vallejo, american canyon), but i'm too bashful to try an befriend any of them.

my spring break is the last week of march, but any weekend meet, i'd be down, jus lemme know in advanced so i can get the time off!

edit: im a total newb... takin lessons, but not entirely satisfied with my instructor's direction.

i live in Martinez, just across the bridge from you. March 22nd is the date so far bro. hope to see you there

k0konutz
03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
If any of you bay area uke players would like to have some high quality recording done of your work, let me know. I'll do it for free (or you could buy me dinner...) and have access to some excellent gear. I'm in the Berkeley/Oakland area. We could also use the studio as a practice space.

PM me if you're interested and we can talk details.

IamRobbyah
03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
fred- ima try an make it fa shua. i'll prolly be in fob central (daly city) wid the gf, so i'll prolly jus take bart up. jus gotta keep mah fingas crossed that my manager gives me the time off...

u got a head count yet?

Fred Miu
03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
u got a head count yet?

not yet, ill put you on the list.

Roll Call:
Fred Miu
IamRobbyah

mwalimu
03-06-2008, 03:44 PM
What time????

Fred Miu
03-06-2008, 07:53 PM
What time????

it its the Friday, i was thinking 2-2:30pm till whenever.

if we stay late, ill do a special show for you guys.

IamRobbyah
03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
ah shiat. jus realized the switch to fri... i'll see wut i can do. my manager is pretty pschycotic when it comes to requesting time off.

i'll keep u posted bruh

Fred Miu
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
ah shiat. jus realized the switch to fri... i'll see wut i can do. my manager is pretty pschycotic when it comes to requesting time off.

i'll keep u posted bruh

ya, sorry about the Date change, Friday seems to be better

Fred Miu
03-12-2008, 09:07 PM
so i went to the Berkley Ukulele Club today and met Mike DaSilva.

some of the people at that club might come and jam with us.

any other people willing to come?

Roll Call:
Fred Miu
IamRobbyah
JoesphBautista

k0konutz
03-12-2008, 09:46 PM
so i went to the Berkley Ukulele Club today and met Mike DaSilva.

some of the people at that club might come and jam with us.

any other people willing to come?

Roll Call:
Fred Miu
IamRobbyah
JoesphBautista

How many people go to the meeting? I didn't get a chance to make it tonight.

Fred Miu
03-12-2008, 09:48 PM
How many people go to the meeting? I didn't get a chance to make it tonight.

what says on the roll call are the people that are so far going on my count and that we are all aware. but there might be a few others that might come.

kyle
03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
how often do they meet in berkeley?? maybe one of these days i'll try to make it up. nice something vid too fred

Fred Miu
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
how often do they meet in berkeley?? maybe one of these days i'll try to make it up. nice something vid too fred

2nd and 4th Wed. of the month. theres like 50 people. REALLY BIG

and thank you.

k0konutz
03-13-2008, 06:16 AM
what says on the roll call are the people that are so far going on my count and that we are all aware. but there might be a few others that might come.

What?
I was asking about the berkeley ukulele club.
But you answered that in a later post.
That's a lot of people.

4strings707
03-13-2008, 06:56 AM
I can make it if you change it to Saturday. I got work friday 2 - 6. Let me know if there's any updates. peace

Fred Miu
03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
What?
I was asking about the berkeley ukulele club.
But you answered that in a later post.
That's a lot of people.

sorry about that, wasnt sure what meeting you meant by.

I can make it if you change it to Saturday. I got work friday 2 - 6. Let me know if there's any updates. peace

i cant do saturday because im working and so are some other people that said that they might/ will drop by on friday.

we will be there for a while. hopefully you might be able to get off early. always welcome. i will for sure be there for a looooong time. and the evening is always better because we all make beautiful music in the evening.

russ_buss
03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
count me in. it gives me a reason to ditch work early.;)

Fred Miu
03-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Roll Call:
Fred Miu
IamRobbyah
JoesphBautista
Russ_Buss

sweet. officially 4 people!

if you want to come, copy and paste your name into the roll call.

and Russ, it was nice meeting you too man, i had a feeling that you were the same guy i met last night. Mike actually asked my to come to Open Mic. i was like....i dont know anything to play. but i guess he wants me to come. so i will see you there too.

russ_buss
03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
cool, not sure if we'll be able to make it to the Open Mic but we will try our best. it sounds like fun.

IamRobbyah
03-14-2008, 01:33 PM
awwww. skeet soss! she gone an done it to me! i have to work fri night.... shiat! really wanna start meetin up to jam too... :(

maybe someone *ahem* (fred) could post up all the local jam sessions? bleh. feel like i let u all down

Fred Miu
03-14-2008, 09:26 PM
no problem, im sure that no one else will set jams up as much as me.

russ_buss
03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
hey fred, what time will you be there until? i might have a friend or two rolling through after work (5ish). any other instruments welcome?

Guting
03-17-2008, 02:14 PM
i wouldnt mind checking om out, no more one uke though. My friend from hawaii is coming down for visit his girl, i think he is bringing one.

Fred Miu
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
hey fred, what time will you be there until? i might have a friend or two rolling through after work (5ish). any other instruments welcome?

jam till whenever you want to leave. any other instruments are welcomed.

Fred Miu
03-18-2008, 10:45 AM
*REMINDER*
MEET UP IS THIS FRIDAY, MARCH 21st, AT 2 PM AT THE METREON PARK IN S.F.

The names of the streets surrounding the Metreon are: Mission street, 4th street, Howard street, and 3rd street.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/BrianSukkar/NorcalMeetup2copy.jpg

this picture is also good for those that may be taking bart to get there.

please ignore the advertising stuff, i used it from a different meetup i was part of a while ago with a different forum.

remember to bring Your Ukulele, a warm jacket or sweat jacket, money for snacks/ food or bring your own food, and of course a smiling face with a good spirit.

If you want to get ahold of me just in case you are there early or will be late, PM me for my contact information.

Also, if you stay till it gets dark, i will be doing something very special that i havent done in a LONG TIME, so if you come, please try and stay.

Roll Call:
Fred Miu
IamRobbyah
JoesphBautista
Russ_Buss
Guting and guest

russ_buss
03-19-2008, 09:15 AM
thanks for the map and for putting this together. can't get any more detailed than that. i'll see you guys around 3-3:30pm or earlier if work is slow.

glowsticks optional right? :)

Fred Miu
03-19-2008, 09:55 AM
thanks for the map and for putting this together. can't get any more detailed than that. i'll see you guys around 3-3:30pm or earlier if work is slow.

glowsticks optional right? :)

SHH! quiet you! haha.

IamRobbyah
03-19-2008, 11:04 PM
hey fred, in case i wasn't clear, its lookin like i wont be able to make it. gonna be workin 1 - 930... boo. hope ya have fun tho!

Fred Miu
03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
hey fred, in case i wasn't clear, its lookin like i wont be able to make it. gonna be workin 1 - 930... boo. hope ya have fun tho!

ahhh poo man. theres always next time.

Fred Miu
03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
WELL! see everyone there.:)

russ_buss
03-21-2008, 05:34 AM
see you around 3-3:30!

russ_buss
03-21-2008, 10:02 PM
who dees bruddahs kickin it? look like fred, jp and alden makin' some noise up in union square. whaddup?

Fred Miu
03-21-2008, 11:38 PM
DUDE WTH! where did you get this?!

btw, next time REMIND ME TO TAKE PICTURES! i brought my camera and didnt even use it. haha

rayan
03-22-2008, 12:09 AM
who dees bruddahs kickin it? look like fred, jp and alden makin' some noise up in union square. whaddup?

Nice guys! We'll feature this and the vid from Fred on the main site once he gets it done.

Fred Miu
03-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Nice guys! We'll feature this and the vid from Fred on the main site once he gets it done.

haha oh fo reals? i better make it worth while to watch then

Guting
03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
looks like you guys had fun, too bad I missed out. Got hammered drunk the night before and woke up late & hungover, hahah. Next time ladat.

russ_buss
03-22-2008, 04:30 PM
i had that feeling today. too much sake last night. ouch...

we have to do this again sometime. it was a lot of fun. how about lake merritt (oakland) next time? there are some nice grassy areas on both sides of the lake.

IamRobbyah
03-24-2008, 02:40 PM
lemme kno wuts good wid the next meet braddahs! anyone goin to the wed night jam in berk? there's a couple other dates of things goin on (not necessarily uke related, but hawaiian/polynesian events), cant remember off the top of my head, but i'll post up later...

would love to see more pics an vids even. how many heads went?

Fred Miu
03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
only 4, then a fifth

4strings707
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm gonna try to make it to berk tomorrow. Finally get to get off early. I might be able to make the jam sesh on friday too. Let me know wussup.

Fred Miu
03-25-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm gonna try to make it to berk tomorrow. Finally get to get off early. I might be able to make the jam sesh on friday too. Let me know wussup.

theres no jam session friday, that was last week lol

4strings707
03-25-2008, 06:40 AM
theres no jam session friday, that was last week lol

oh okay...keep setting em up tho. I'll make the next one. Anyone goin to berk tomorrow?

NotoriousMOK
03-25-2008, 11:12 AM
hey y'all -- just wanted to say congrats on bringing your first meet-up full circle! I know it's tough to get everybody on the same page, but its worth it, and it gets easier each time you have another one -- just keep it up and watch it grow!

Have fun!

Fred Miu
03-25-2008, 12:50 PM
ill be in berkeley, but it might be late.

Mike wants me to play some songs, but i dont know what to play.

russ_buss
03-25-2008, 01:16 PM
ill be in berkeley, but it might be late.

Mike wants me to play some songs, but i dont know what to play.

"backstreet's back, alright!"

come on, you know you want to! dasilva will be proud! haha

Fred Miu
03-25-2008, 03:40 PM
hahah i should hahaha

http://www.vimeo.com/824572

theres the video!!!!

JosephBautista
03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
hahah i should hahaha

http://www.vimeo.com/824572

theres the video!!!!

HAHAH DAMN FRED NICE EDITING xD that meet was a success :]

russ_buss
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
haha nice work fred! it's on the homepage too. too funny!

until next time...

JosephBautista
03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
haha nice work fred! it's on the homepage too. too funny!

until next time...

hehe jammin with russel and alden was awesome xD we gotta do that again

russ_buss
03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
likewise JP, we definitely have to jam again!

Fred Miu
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
there was so much more i wanted to put in, but didnt want to make it too long.

dafamcallsmebj
03-25-2008, 11:53 PM
nice video fred!!!
it looked like alot of fun!!!
are flukes big out there or was that just a coincidence??
hahaha
but yeah...
more importantly...
what are the chord you guys were playin for backstreets back??

studentaccount1
03-26-2008, 12:04 AM
looks like fun Fred

drifterx
03-26-2008, 09:58 AM
damn i wish i would have known about this... i live in salinas so its just a hour and a half drive...whens the next one>??? i wanna jam with you guys.. if theres one in san jo ill be there for sure

4strings707
03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Damn it looks like you guys had hella fun. Forreal tho, let me know when the next one is.

Hey fred...what program u use to edit the vid?

Fred Miu
03-26-2008, 02:49 PM
damn i wish i would have known about this... i live in salinas so its just a hour and a half drive...whens the next one>??? i wanna jam with you guys.. if theres one in san jo ill be there for sure

next meetup hasnt been set yet. but it will always be posted here.

Damn it looks like you guys had hella fun. Forreal tho, let me know when the next one is.

Hey fred...what program u use to edit the vid?

thanks man. i used iMovie HD. not the best thing, but it got it done in an hour. i rather would like to use Final Cut Pro but i didnt want to waste time haha.

mwalimu
03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Sorry I missed it. Looks like you all had fun. Illness, work and just basic bashfulness kept me away. Next time.

Fred Miu
03-26-2008, 08:57 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/Picture015.jpg

haha 3 dark boys.

open mic

JosephBautista
03-26-2008, 08:58 PM
lol nice pic

Fred Miu
03-27-2008, 04:56 AM
sorry, this took FOREVER to post. haha

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5rWjIOgfgH0

russ_buss
03-27-2008, 06:10 AM
awesome job you three! nice picking, JP!

btw, how was the pot luck?

4strings707
03-27-2008, 07:48 AM
haha 3 dark boys.

DAMN!!! I'm the darkest out of the 3.

Fred Miu
03-27-2008, 12:13 PM
awesome job you three! nice picking, JP!

btw, how was the pot luck?

i didnt know there was a pot luck haha so i was like....uh....was i supposed to bring food?!

DAMN!!! I'm the darkest out of the 3.

just wait when i get back from Hawaii over the summer.

JumpingPulgas
03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Nice dreads Fred!

Good job fellas!

IamRobbyah
03-28-2008, 03:47 PM
dayum! me supah m.i.a! mah bad fellas. i'll make it out one these days... why u all so dark??? geez! jus got back from the snow, so i got a raccoon tan that can rival ur dahknessssssss!

Fred Miu
04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Saturday May 24th!

Yes people, we are having our second bay area meet up. the location isnt on solid rock right now, but it might be at Lake Merrit.

The meet up time will be from 3-8pm. last time i was waiting for about an hour and a half before some people showed up haha. more info will come up as long as everyone posts up about this meetup. i can not set this up without any of you guys to support me. you guys make these meet ups possible.

same rules apply for what to bring: Your Ukulele, a warm jacket or sweat jacket, money for snacks/ food or bring your own food, and of course a smiling face with a good spirit.

and if you live a little bit further away from the bay area and you want to jam and/or free. COME ON OVER AND JAM!!!!

-Fred

russ_buss
04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
i have other plans that day, but i'll be sure to stop by and jam for a bit!

Ame
04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I wont be able to make it, boo.. That's the weekend of FanimeCon. So, I'm gonna get my asian-geekiness on that day. ><;; Im sure you guys will have tons of fun though! :)
Oh I'll be there in spirit! I'm totally bring my uke to the con haha gotta learn me some anime/jpop songs on the uke haha

Fred Miu
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
i have other plans that day, but i'll be sure to stop by and jam for a bit!

ya i tried to make it kinda far so that peopl would know in advanced. and right before i leave for hawaii

russ_buss
04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
ya i tried to make it kinda far so that peopl would know in advanced. and right before i leave for hawaii

word. i'm looking forward to the second jam session. my dinner plans and friends can wait. this is more important. haha!

Vroom
04-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Daaaang wish i lived in Cali. haha. I was just in LA a few weeks ago on the way to costa rica.. but i think canada is a little far for a road trip :(

4strings707
04-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Alright....its on a saturday!!! I'll be there.

IamRobbyah
04-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I think I might be goin to a car meet up in Berryessa, but alas, my car is an Rx-7 and still isnt running... So it looks like my plans might change. Ima see wut I can do.

Ne one down to carpool?

Fred Miu
04-13-2008, 06:21 PM
I think I might be goin to a car meet up in Berryessa, but alas, my car is an Rx-7 and still isnt running... So it looks like my plans might change. Ima see wut I can do.

Ne one down to carpool?

where are you located?

i know with 4strings, he can meet me at DVC and we can carpool there if he wants to.

NoLine
04-14-2008, 10:26 PM
I wont be able to make it, boo.. That's the weekend of FanimeCon. So, I'm gonna get my asian-geekiness on that day. ><;; Im sure you guys will have tons of fun though! :)
Oh I'll be there in spirit! I'm totally bring my uke to the con haha gotta learn me some anime/jpop songs on the uke haha

ima be at fanime too ^_^
bring your uke so we can jam

NoLine
04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
if anyone is interested cherry blossom festival goes on in the month of april and it happens during the weekends
so april19,20 stop by japan town and ill be there with my uke, my friend is goin too so we can all jam

Fred Miu
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
ok everyone! i was chatting with Russ_Buss, and Lake Merritt area will be the second meet up!!!! at the Lake Merritt Gazebo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadford/10769342/

Date: Saturday, May 24th 2008!!!

Where: Lake Merritt Gazebo. its less than a mile from the bart station (see picture below)

Time: from 3pm-8(ish)pm basically whenever you want to leave. if desired to stay longer, WE CAN BABY!!!

What to bring: Your Ukulele, a warm jacket or sweat jacket, money for snacks/ food or bring your own food, and of course a smiling face with a good spirit.

For contact info, please PM me if you want to exchange numbers for if you need help getting there.

I got a request from Russ_buss, he said that we should all maybe practice a few songs for the video that i will be putting together.
so if anybody has a request of some songs we can all play, list them here. so far what was requested was: Honey Baby, Hey Ya!, and Love Song.

Directions: basically google maps will be your girlfriend/boyfriend ;), but here is a little help from Russell:

Children's Fairyland at 699 Bellevue Ave, Oakland, CA

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/bart-to-gazebo.jpg

Roll:

Fred Miu

russ_buss
04-29-2008, 04:27 PM
count Trina and I in. oh one more song request: never gonna give you up! haha.

can't wait!!!

Fred Miu
04-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Roll:

Fred Miu
Russ_Buss and Trina

addition song request: to rick roll all ya'll!!! haha

IamRobbyah
04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
sha booya, sha sha, sha booya, roll call:

Freddy
Russ an Trina
Rob

can we have a lil north bay meet before then? i really need to hone my skills...

Fred Miu
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
sha booya, sha sha, sha booya, roll call:

Freddy
Russ an Trina
Rob

can we have a lil north bay meet before then? i really need to hone my skills...

you live in vallejo?

kyle
04-29-2008, 07:55 PM
chyea! looks like i'll be able to make this one

Fred Miu
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Roll:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle

jjsdad
04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I'll try to make it, but that's Memorial day weekend so I can't commit yet.

IamRobbyah
04-30-2008, 10:55 AM
you live in vallejo?

yezzir i shua am.

Fred Miu
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM
yezzir i shua am.

i live right across the benicia bridge. in martinez. we jam every mon, wed, and friday at DVC. and you are welcomed to PM me whenever you just want to jam.

degracia
04-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Hmmm. interestingg...

I can probably fit this one in. This is in oakland correct? I'm not too fond of going away from Hayward/UC area, yet even taking BART (since I've been driving).

If not, then sorry. But it is still 25 days from here.

Fred Miu
04-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Hmmm. interestingg...

I can probably fit this one in. This is in oakland correct? I'm not too fond of going away from Hayward/UC area, yet even taking BART (since I've been driving).

If not, then sorry. But it is still 25 days from here.

ya bro, if you can make it, thatd be sweet

Guting
05-01-2008, 08:05 PM
im down for some body surfing

Fred Miu
05-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Roll:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting

sweet, we have a good list of people. MORE THAN LAST TIME! yayyyy

drifterx
05-01-2008, 08:59 PM
i wanna go... ill try to make it... sucky thing is i live in salinas about 2 hours away... ill see if i could make it though...

ELEVATED THOUGHT
05-01-2008, 10:57 PM
i'll try to make it. i dunno about my schedule, but i'll see whats up.

k0konutz
05-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Aah I wish I could go but I'm going to be out of town that weekend!
And I live a 15 minute drive away!

4strings707
05-02-2008, 08:31 AM
This ones gonna be big. Count me in. My boy might come too so i'll let you know. Looking forward to jamming with yall. peace

Roll:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)

Fred Miu
05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
i wanna go... ill try to make it... sucky thing is i live in salinas about 2 hours away... ill see if i could make it though...

dude, i have some friends that live in salinas.

next time im around there we should meet up.

and Ray, its about time you put yourself on the role!!! haha

so far we have:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)

people who MIGHT come: drifterx, ELEVATED THOUGHT, and k0konutz

4strings707
05-02-2008, 11:19 AM
and Ray, its about time you put yourself on the role!!! haha

so far we have:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)

LOL...my bad fred. even tho i don't post much, i'm always reading.

for music, lets play some bob marley. I know guting would be down for that. some three plus and ekolu stuff is fun and easy to learn too.

alden
05-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey Fred - You gonna make the ladies dance like our last meet up? haha... I won't be able to join you guys as I will be in NYC. Have fun and looking forward to the video.

Fred Miu
05-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey Fred - You gonna make the ladies dance like our last meet up? haha... I won't be able to join you guys as I will be in NYC. Have fun and looking forward to the video.

dang it! we need you maaannnn. you have fun in NY bro.

haha and i will make them dance

mwalimu
05-03-2008, 05:53 AM
I will try to come, but it is a 4 day weekend for me and I may try for a get away with my other half, so...

alden
05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Since the weather in the bay
is getting better everyday
Let's have a bar-b-q
while we can jam on our ukus.

ok so it doesn't rhyme - Whadda ya say for a June meetup?

No clue to where and when but let's keep it BART public transportation friendly.

Fred Miu
05-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Let's have a bar-b-q

No clue to where and when but let's keep it BART public transportation friendly.

someone will have to take over my job and arrange a meet up. since i will be in hawaii.

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Let's have a bar-b-q

lets do it man! gg park is always good. plenty of room for bbq and jammin'.

alden
05-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Allright! I'm willing to coordinate since Fred will be chillaxin' in the white sandy beaches of Hawaii.

I'm thinking a Sunday BBQ would be best as we can get all our chores done the day before.

Let me know what dates are good?

June 1
June 22
June 29

Location - Golden Gate Park, SF - Picnic area TBD.

Song requests - Songs to learn or jam to for the meet? We can continue from the May Meet play list.

Fred Miu
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Allright! I'm willing to coordinate since Fred will be chillaxin' in the white sandy beaches of Hawaii.

I'm thinking a Sunday BBQ would be best as we can get all our chores done the day before.

Let me know what dates are good?

June 1
June 22
June 29

Location - Golden Gate Park, SF - Picnic area TBD.

Song requests - Songs to learn or jam to for the meet? We can continue from the May Meet play list.

haha not to move things too fast, lets get this meet up over first. THEN you can do this haha. but so far this is good.

jjsdad
05-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I probably can make the June 1 or June 29 in GG Park. But, the park can get pretty busy on Sundays...

I might be able to make the May 24th get together. Still not sure yet, but count me in for now.

As for songs... I don't know any of the ones people have suggested so far, so can someone post a video and tabs of them and I'll try to learn them.

russ_buss
05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
yo alden,

june 1 might be a little too close to the may 24th meet. maybe june 29 would be better. but if anything, you know i'm down to jam at anytime. 40oz and a park bench. tis all i need.

IamRobbyah
05-06-2008, 05:47 PM
40oz and a park bench. tis all i need.

aaahhhhh hahahaha! that is what facilitates my learning process for music! shiiiiat! man, next time im in the city ima grab a couple a cold ones an hit u up!

russ_buss
05-06-2008, 07:07 PM
aaahhhhh hahahaha! that is what facilitates my learning process for music! shiiiiat! man, next time im in the city ima grab a couple a cold ones an hit u up!

dude, anytime man! i'm down.

surfjones
05-07-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey Everybody!

First time poster here. I just got my first uke and am really enjoying this site. I will try and make the Meet with my wife. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Steve

russ_buss
05-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Hey Everybody!

First time poster here. I just got my first uke and am really enjoying this site. I will try and make the Meet with my wife. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Steve

welcome to the UU, Steve! glad you can make it to the meet. it should be fun.

Roll:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)
Steve and wife

Fred Miu
05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
sweet! hope to see you there Steve!

Roll:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)
Steve and wife
J.P. (?)

jjsdad
05-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I might be able to make it, too!

Fred Miu
05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
ok i have edited the first page so that it is easy to find the meet up.

I WILL ALWAYS EDIT THE FIRST PAGE FOR THE MEET UPS!

Roll:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)
Steve and wife
J.P. (?)

people who MIGHT come:
drifterx
ELEVATED THOUGHT
k0konutz
jjsdad
Dominator

FrankNoCal
05-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Put me down as a "might", too. We got something going on that day, but I'ma try to sneak away. I need to kick it with some fellow uke fiends.

Fred Miu
05-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Put me down as a "might", too. We got something going on that day, but I'ma try to sneak away. I need to kick it with some fellow uke fiends.

haha i just sent you a PM. you can delete that haha.

Roll:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)
Steve and wife
J.P. (?)

Maybe:
drifterx
ELEVATED THOUGHT
k0konutz
jjsdad
Dominator
FrankNoCal

russ_buss
05-07-2008, 08:44 PM
dude, this group is getting big. awesome!:D

Fred Miu
05-08-2008, 05:11 AM
dude, this group is getting big. awesome!:D

i know bro, and to think i might be able to get a few more people to go too!

this will be a LOT bigger than last time.

imma send DaSilva an email and tell him about it, maybe his uke club could come too.

russ_buss
05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
i know bro, and to think i might be able to get a few more people to go too!

this will be a LOT bigger than last time.

imma send DaSilva an email and tell him about it, maybe his uke club could come too.

oh wow, that might add another 50 people. too big?

Fred Miu
05-08-2008, 03:11 PM
oh wow, that might add another 50 people. too big?

haha i dunno, i havent emailed him yet, but i will.

Fred Miu
05-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Your all possible meeting up?? thats mad, record every .second of what use are doing haha :D

i always record man. thanks why i made a video last time.

4strings707
05-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Since we're doing honey baby...we might as well do drop baby drop by manao company.

other requests:

one love by bob marley

shores of waiehu by ekolu

jah music by three plus

just like that by ekolu

-Does anyone know if there are plug outlets on the gazebo? If not that's cool. Just wondering cuz i might bring a bass.

russ_buss
05-09-2008, 11:27 AM
-Does anyone know if there are plug outlets on the gazebo? If not that's cool. Just wondering cuz i might bring a bass.

good question. i'll try to cruise by this weekend and scope it out.

jjsdad
05-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Since we're doing honey baby...we might as well do drop baby drop by manao company.

other requests:

one love by bob marley

shores of waiehu by ekolu

jah music by three plus

just like that by ekolu

I guess I'm from another planet than you folks... I've never heard of any of these songs... :confused:

Are there tabs and videos of them that I can learn from?

Also, I have a VOX amp, so if I can remember to buy batteries for it, I'll try to bring it (and if my son isn't using it...)

4strings707
05-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I guess I'm from another planet than you folks... I've never heard of any of these songs... :confused:

This genre is jahwaiian which is like hawaiian reggae except for "one love" which is just reggae. all of these songs have pretty basic chords and are repetitive so it shouldn't be too bad. go to tropicalstormhawaii.com -->mele --> local jams
you can find a lot of these songs on youtube also.

IamRobbyah
05-10-2008, 07:01 AM
ooohh. bass an ukuleles go wonderfully together. i'll pitch in a battery =) if anyone knows how to play a cajon, my cuz has one that he never uses. might be able to bring that by

Fred Miu
05-10-2008, 07:25 AM
i have one of those portable 1 watt amps haha ill be sure to bring that.

Going:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)
Steve and wife

Maybe:
drifterx
ELEVATED THOUGHT
k0konutz
jjsdad
Dominator
FrankNoCal

Not Going:
Alden
J.P.
Ame

russ_buss
05-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Also, I have a VOX amp, so if I can remember to buy batteries for it, I'll try to bring it (and if my son isn't using it...)

i'm with you on this one jjsdad! i'm not familiar with any of the songs other than "one love". this means i have a lot of studying/cramming to do. to the interweb!:)

4strings707
05-10-2008, 10:43 AM
i'm with you on this one jjsdad! i'm not familiar with any of the songs other than "one love". this means i have a lot of studying/cramming to do. to the interweb!:)

don't study that hard. I could probably just tell you the chords, the strumming is simple, and BAM...we have a jam sesh. No worries guys.

rayan
05-10-2008, 11:05 AM
The way that we do jam sessions in Hawaii is we get in a circle and each person kind of has an idea of what they want to play. One person will start, teach everyone else the chords if they don't know it then lead the song. After that it just goes around the circle. The next person does the same thing. It's pretty fun. If someone doesn't have a song in mind, then they can pass and try to think of one by the next time around.

I dunno why but almost everywhere I go in Hawaii they do it like this.

Fred Miu
05-10-2008, 07:17 PM
The way that we do jam sessions in Hawaii is we get in a circle and each person kind of has an idea of what they want to play. One person will start, teach everyone else the chords if they don't know it then lead the song. After that it just goes around the circle. The next person does the same thing. It's pretty fun. If someone doesn't have a song in mind, then they can pass and try to think of one by the next time around.

I dunno why but almost everywhere I go in Hawaii they do it like this.

we might end up doing something like so.

IamRobbyah
05-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Not Going:
Alden
J.P.
Ame

dang... hecka called out! sounds like u guys betta go!!! lol

TONGAN UKE
05-10-2008, 08:10 PM
wish i could come, i live in Oakland too

Fred Miu
05-10-2008, 08:11 PM
dang... hecka called out! sounds like u guys betta go!!! lol

haha those are the people that i know for sure that arent going.

JP and his girl are going to Fanamie

Fred Miu
05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
wish i could come, i live in Oakland too

dude you can come! haha. always welcome to stop by.

TONGAN UKE
05-10-2008, 08:17 PM
im only thirteen and can only play about 6 songs or so....probably might come and just watch?

Fred Miu
05-10-2008, 08:21 PM
im only thirteen and can only play about 6 songs or so....probably might come and just watch?

PFFT! you have to much doubt brah.

so what if you know only 6 songs? ITS THE EXPERIENCE AND THE JOY THATS THE BEST PART! get to know your fellow bruddahs that are around you so that you cna learn more than 6 songs!

if you come, you gotta bring you uke, thats all im saying

or we will make you walk home and get it again haha (im kiddind) =)

hope to see you there

TONGAN UKE
05-10-2008, 08:30 PM
PFFT! you have to much doubt brah.

so what if you know only 6 songs? ITS THE EXPERIENCE AND THE JOY THATS THE BEST PART! get to know your fellow bruddahs that are around you so that you cna learn more than 6 songs!

if you come, you gotta bring you uke, thats all im saying

or we will make you walk home and get it again haha (im kiddind) =)

hope to see you there
lol....well i only have a baritone (okay one)....so im guessing ur guyses ukes are at a different tune than mines, i have it in DGBE, and thats the only tune it supports? im guessing... for sure i'll make it to the meet, unless a dinosaur comes out of no where and takes my ukulele...lol

Fred Miu
05-10-2008, 08:43 PM
lol....well i only have a baritone (okay one)....so im guessing ur guyses ukes are at a different tune than mines, i have it in DGBE, and thats the only tune it supports? im guessing... for sure i'll make it to the meet, unless a dinosaur comes out of no where and takes my ukulele...lol

dont matter, we could always use a baritone uke while we jam:rock:

TONGAN UKE
05-10-2008, 08:49 PM
dont matter, we could always use a baritone uke while we jam:rock:
okay okay, but i dont want to cause any trouble with the different tuning, we arent playing any songs that has a lot of shredding are we? i cant really do that , just songs with simple chords like "honey baby", "stir it up", or "waiting in vain", looking forward to learning new songs (hopefully)

Fred Miu
05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
okay okay, but i dont want to cause any trouble with the different tuning, we arent playing any songs that has a lot of shredding are we? i cant really do that , just songs with simple chords like "honey baby", "stir it up", or "waiting in vain", looking forward to learning new songs (hopefully)

hehe, just come. we will worry about those piddly things later =)

you must enjoy jammin with us man haha

TONGAN UKE
05-10-2008, 09:12 PM
hehe, just come. we will worry about those piddly things later =)

you must enjoy jammin with us man haha
alright, count me in for sure!

Fred Miu
05-10-2008, 09:23 PM
WELCOME OUR NEW BROTHER!!!!:music:

Going:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)
Steve and wife
Tongan Uke

Maybe:
drifterx
ELEVATED THOUGHT
k0konutz
jjsdad
Dominator
FrankNoCal

Not Going:
Alden
J.P.
Ame

TONGAN UKE
05-10-2008, 09:36 PM
WELCOME OUR NEW BROTHER!!!!:music:

Going:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)
Steve and wife
Tongan Uke

Maybe:
drifterx
ELEVATED THOUGHT
k0konutz
jjsdad
Dominator
FrankNoCal

Not Going:
Alden
J.P.
Ame
oh my gosh!, sorry, but i just remembered, im going on a week trip tp Washington DC on the 22nd till the 28th, gosh i am so mad right now, sorry bruddahs, i'll definetly make it to the next meet tho, should've remembered before i said i was going, !!DEFINETLEY NEXT TIME!!

TONGAN UKE
05-11-2008, 07:51 AM
oh my gosh!, sorry, but i just remembered, im going on a week trip tp Washington DC on the 22nd till the 28th, gosh i am so mad right now, sorry bruddahs, i'll definetly make it to the next meet tho, should've remembered before i said i was going, !!DEFINETLEY NEXT TIME!!
FALSE ALARM!! IM LEAVING ON THE 27TH...YAY! IM STILL GOING

russ_buss
05-11-2008, 10:39 AM
hey bay area ukers,

i just stopped by lake merritt to "case the joint" for the may 24th meet. to avoid any confusion, here's some more detailed info. the park is called "lakeside park". if you park inside the park, there's a $3 entrance fee. but there should be plenty of street parking outside of the park and within walking distance. the gazebo is actually called the "Edoff Memorial Bandstand", and you can find more details here:

http://www.oaklandnet.com/parks/facilities/parks_edoff_bandstand.asp
http://www.oaklandnet.com/parks/0/lm_bandstand_2.jpg

the good news is THEY HAVE POWER OUTLETS!!!! i wasn't able to test them to see if they're live but maybe i'll try to drop by with a lamp sometime to try it out. so if you're planning on bringing amps, you might be in luck!

another thing i'm planning to bring is some camp/beach chairs. much better than sitting on the hard concrete. so if you have chairs, bring em!

if you guys have any other questions, let me know if there's anything you want me to investigate or research.

hope to see you all soon at the jam! rock on!:rock:

russell

Fred Miu
05-11-2008, 12:55 PM
FALSE ALARM!! IM LEAVING ON THE 27TH...YAY! IM STILL GOING

haha you leave the same day as me then!

hey bay area ukers,

i just stopped by lake merritt to "case the joint" for the may 24th meet. to avoid any confusion, here's some more detailed info. the park is called "lakeside park". if you park inside the park, there's a $3 entrance fee. but there should be plenty of street parking outside of the park and within walking distance. the gazebo is actually called the "Edoff Memorial Bandstand", and you can find more details here:

http://www.oaklandnet.com/parks/facilities/parks_edoff_bandstand.asp
http://www.oaklandnet.com/parks/0/lm_bandstand_2.jpg

the good news is THEY HAVE POWER OUTLETS!!!! i wasn't able to test them to see if they're live but maybe i'll try to drop by with a lamp sometime to try it out. so if you're planning on bringing amps, you might be in luck!

another thing i'm planning to bring is some camp/beach chairs. much better than sitting on the hard concrete. so if you have chairs, bring em!

if you guys have any other questions, let me know if there's anything you want me to investigate or research.

hope to see you all soon at the jam! rock on!:rock:

russell

thanks russ. :)

the new guy
05-12-2008, 09:49 PM
put me down as a maybe. i gotta find out if my brother and cousin want to come with me.

Kaneohe til the end
05-12-2008, 11:09 PM
someone take video footage of the meet! would be mean

Fred Miu
05-13-2008, 05:15 AM
someone take video footage of the meet! would be mean

dude, i got it covered. why do you think i filmed the last one.

YuKoLayLay
05-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Wait, Is it on Saturday or friday? I think Me, AnthonyUkulele, and 2ES will be there. DBL for life!

the new guy
05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
wat songs r we gonna do?

TONGAN UKE
05-13-2008, 11:53 AM
i think we'll be just teaching eachother but of course i got a baritone, so im a little alone on this one. =s

the new guy
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
if i do go and my brother comes with me he has a baritone tone also. ill tel him to bring it he needs to learn songs on it. hes had it a while now but rarely uses it cuz he usually uses his concert

TONGAN UKE
05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
haha...yeah?.. well i play songs a "normal" ukulele would play on my baritone, BTW its just a cheap $70 uke, i just wanted to try the uke out, turns out i love it, just need a tenor or soprano now

jjsdad
05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I'll try to bring my baritone, my concert, and a set of cheap bongos (just for fun)... oh, and my VOX amp if my son will let me borrow it and I can remember all this stuff. Maybe I'll bring my son along too. :-D

russ_buss
05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
I'll try to bring my baritone, my concert, and a set of cheap bongos (just for fun)... oh, and my VOX amp if my son will let me borrow it and I can remember all this stuff. Maybe I'll bring my son along too. :-D

does this mean you're a "yes" now? if so, awesome! i'll probably bring a guitar too. the bongos should be fun.

Fred Miu
05-13-2008, 08:50 PM
this is going to be huge.

i still havent emailed mike yet.....crap. i will do that right now

TONGAN UKE
05-14-2008, 04:34 AM
oh yeah, can't wait. might bring a guitar too, depends

TONGAN UKE
05-14-2008, 04:46 AM
i think i'll just sit on the ground, comfortable

IamRobbyah
05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
ahhh skeet! my boy jus reminded me of a bbq that i'm supposed to attend in san mateo on sat. most likely i'll jus flake on that an jus go to the jam... otherwise i'll jus roll thru a lil late -- pinoy time...

in other news, anyone goin to the berk meet tonight? ever since i showed my mom the simplicity of "over the rainbow," she's been hooked! so i think tonight, we might head out.

my uncle, in typical sampayan (my fam) fashion, jus told me last min that he wants me to go to the giants' game with the fam tonight. somethin to do wid filipino cultural appreciation... hmm.

jjsdad
05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
does this mean you're a "yes" now? if so, awesome! i'll probably bring a guitar too. the bongos should be fun.

Still a maybe for me. I won't know until probably the day before. What time are people going to start showing up? I'll probably try to get there on the early side.

the new guy
05-14-2008, 04:55 PM
crappers i cant make it out anymore, my brother just reminded me of a family party that day. its my cousins daughters first birthday. wat u think to young to buy her an uke??? hahaha

Guting
05-14-2008, 05:21 PM
we go jam bodysurfing, Gm F Eb D C.

4strings707
05-14-2008, 08:28 PM
we go jam bodysurfing, Gm F Eb D C.

Fa Sho...thanks for postin the chords

Guting
05-14-2008, 09:11 PM
To give you a GENERAL text only idea its like this,

Beginning: strum once Gm F Eb D, repeat with muted scratching.

Verses: a good pattern is the (down down up up down = one set)
so Gm (4 sets) then F (4 sets), repeat.

then Gm (4 sets)

then C (2 sets) Gm (2 sets), repeat 4 times.

then back to the top.

------------------------

After finishing the second time around

The fast part: Gm (2 sets) F (2 sets) Eb (2 sets) D (2 sets), repeat.

Fred Miu
05-14-2008, 09:34 PM
good stuff Guting. now we can officially:rock: jam

4strings707
05-14-2008, 09:37 PM
To give you a GENERAL text only idea its like this,

Beginning: strum once Gm F Eb D, repeat with muted scratching.

Verses: a good pattern is the (down down up up down = one set)
so Gm (4 sets) then F (4 sets), repeat.

then Gm (4 sets)

then C (2 sets) Gm (2 sets), repeat 4 times.

then back to the top.

------------------------

After finishing the second time around

The fast part: Gm (2 sets) F (2 sets) Eb (2 sets) D (2 sets), repeat.

You know what bro....i always knew how the song went...like i can hum it and stuff...but for some reason i never played it. Its crazy i know. I guess i just liked listening to it or watching other people play the lead. we'll jam this hella good. You're gonna have to take the lead tho. my fingers hurt just watching people play this.

Fred Miu
05-14-2008, 09:56 PM
You know what bro....i always knew how the song went...like i can hum it and stuff...but for some reason i never played it. Its crazy i know. I guess i just liked listening to it or watching other people play the lead. we'll jam this hella good. You're gonna have to take the lead tho. my fingers hurt just watching people play this.

haha when aldrine uses his 15 thumbs

i get that feeling too

TONGAN UKE
05-15-2008, 04:58 AM
i can't play this song...(stupid baritone)

4strings707
05-15-2008, 06:57 AM
haha when aldrine uses his 15 thumbs

i get that feeling too

You know when Bruce Lee does that super fast hand motion and the camera can't catch up....aldrines thumbs are like that. lol

Fred Miu
05-15-2008, 07:25 AM
You know when Bruce Lee does that super fast hand motion and the camera can't catch up....aldrines thumbs are like that. lol

nah bro. its still a blur haha

russ_buss
05-15-2008, 07:33 AM
i can't play this song...(stupid baritone)

you should be fine. a Gm chord sounds like a Gm chord regardless of the instrument. might just be a different position on a baritone but it will still sound correct when you play along with the others. we can help figure out the positions that day or if i'm not mistaken, you can slap a capo on the fifth fret and you have instant GCEA tuning. i have one if you need.

NoLine
05-15-2008, 11:50 AM
sorry i wont be able to make it to this jam
ima be at fanime con that weekend
well have fun everyone and hopefully i can catch the next one

TONGAN UKE
05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
you should be fine. a Gm chord sounds like a Gm chord regardless of the instrument. might just be a different position on a baritone but it will still sound correct when you play along with the others. we can help figure out the positions that day or if i'm not mistaken, you can slap a capo on the fifth fret and you have instant GCEA tuning. i have one if you need.
oh that would be really nice of you if you can bring that capo
Thanks alot, and yeah i think i got the song down, just doesn't
make sense to me, maybe because of my strumming, thanks russ

russ_buss
05-15-2008, 03:17 PM
oh that would be really nice of you if you can bring that capo
Thanks alot, and yeah i think i got the song down, just doesn't
make sense to me, maybe because of my strumming, thanks russ

no problem dude, i'll bring the capo. see you at the meet!

TONGAN UKE
05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
no problem dude, i'll bring the capo. see you at the meet!
alright cool man!

Fred Miu
05-18-2008, 03:58 PM
6 more days guys!!!!

degracia
05-18-2008, 04:48 PM
6 more days guys!!!!

Well, I'm gonna be busy pretty much til June for some planning. I'm definitely gonna regret not going :(

Maybe you guys can set another one up in the future in Hayward or something so I can make it there easily.

Hope you guys have fun though. Looking forward to the video :D

Fred Miu
05-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Going:
Fred
Russell and Trina
Rob
Kyle
Guting
Ray +1 (Jay?)
Steve and wife
TONGAN UKE

Maybe:
drifterx
ELEVATED THOUGHT
k0konutz
jjsdad
Dominator
FrankNoCal

Not Going:
Alden
J.P.
Ame
NoLine
Degracia

jjsdad
05-19-2008, 08:49 PM
I think I can make it, but I might not be of much use...

Last Friday morning, I was washing the dishes and trying to scrape some dried somen noodles off a colander with my thumb. Well, somen noodles are almost needle-like when they're cooked and then dry out. Somehow I jammed one into my right thumb right between the flesh and nail and it went in about a half-inch into my thumb nail.

Immediately I had two images flash thru my head. One of Spock saying "pain, pain!" after mind melding with that creature from the mines and the other of a story of an ancient chinese bamboo finger nail torture. Man, that hurt like heck. Well, the noodle broke inside the nail and was stuck in there. If I held my thumb up to the light I could actually see the white noodle stuck inside it. Ouch...

Unfortunately, I had to go to work and then camping after that for the next two nights, so I didn't have time to see a doctor and figured it would go away. By Friday night it was throbbing and I was hurting... So, finally on Saturday morning, I cut into my nail a bit to relieve the pressure (and some puss) and it felt better.

But, the real bummer is that I was planning on playing the ukulele by the campfire and my thumb was too sore to strum or pick so I was basically left with using my fingers to pick with. Sigh... It still hurts today, and if I'm not better by Saturday, I'm going to be really bummed.

Fred Miu
05-19-2008, 09:00 PM

Last Friday morning, I was washing the dishes and trying to scrape some dried somen noodles off a colander with my thumb. Well, somen noodles are almost needle-like when they're cooked and then dry out. Somehow I jammed one into my right thumb right between the flesh and nail and it went in about a half-inch into my thumb nail.

Immediately I had two images flash thru my head. One of Spock saying "pain, pain!" after mind melding with that creature from the mines and the other of a story of an ancient chinese bamboo finger nail torture. Man, that hurt like heck. Well, the noodle broke inside the nail and was stuck in there. If I held my thumb up to the light I could actually see the white noodle stuck inside it. Ouch...

Unfortunately, I had to go to work and then camping after that for the next two nights, so I didn't have time to see a doctor and figured it would go away. By Friday night it was throbbing and I was hurting... So, finally on Saturday morning, I cut into my nail a bit to relieve the pressure (and some puss) and it felt better.

But, the real bummer is that I was planning on playing the ukulele by the campfire and my thumb was too sore to strum or pick so I was basically left with using my fingers to pick with. Sigh... It still hurts today, and if I'm not better by Saturday, I'm going to be really bummed.

well then! no thumb picking for you untill you get better bro! still come anyways man!

russ_buss
05-19-2008, 09:01 PM

ouch, thats one crazy freak accident! hope your thumb heals quickly. it must affect so much of your daily routine.:(

IamRobbyah
05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
cheee huuuuuuuuuu! finals are done! daaaaaaaang 4 all in one day... now i can practice for a couple days - finally.

uh fred, who's in ur avatar? kina creeps me out. lol.

are there any good food joints near de park? i was thinkin of bringin a lil somethin for peeps to enjoy - but dun really wanna over complicate things (that, an ima lil broke... shh dun tell nobody)

russ_buss
05-20-2008, 05:34 PM
cheee huuuuuuuuuu! finals are done! daaaaaaaang 4 all in one day... now i can practice for a couple days - finally.

are there any good food joints near de park? i was thinkin of bringin a lil somethin for peeps to enjoy - but dun really wanna over complicate things (that, an ima lil broke... shh dun tell nobody)

the closest is a taqueria a few blocks away. further down, there's italian, japanese, chinese, burgers. there's a liquor store not too far in case anyone wants to guy chips, soda, water, *ahem* beer.

Fred Miu
05-20-2008, 05:40 PM

its nukedoc homes!!! hahah

oh and id bring food too, just in case if you dont have too much money

Guting
05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I went googs one L&L but kinda far for on foot.

kyle
05-20-2008, 08:20 PM

last 2 finals tomorrow..and reading the forum.. hah! hella ready for summer

Fred Miu
05-22-2008, 06:36 AM
hey guys, i might be a little late coming from work on saturday. i get off work in walnut creek at 2.30pm so itll take me about 25 mins to get to oakland. i should be there around 3.10, if not 3.15 at the latest.

please contact me or russ_buss for anything. i recommend asking russell himself about the general area since he knows it better than me.

FrankNoCal
05-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Looks like I'm not going to make it folks. I'm going to be in the North Bay until late in the afternoon. I been trying to see if I can sneak away or just change my plans, but I'm not able to. I'll try to make it to the next meet-up. Have fun and I'll be waiting for the video!

Fred Miu
05-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Looks like I'm not going to make it folks. I'm going to be in the North Bay until late in the afternoon. I been trying to see if I can sneak away or just change my plans, but I'm not able to. I'll try to make it to the next meet-up. Have fun and I'll be waiting for the video!

its from 3-8pm so if you can even make it to the last hour even, still good!

but thats only if you can.

hey what are you doing monday? i live next to you, we need to meet.

russ_buss
05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
woohoo, one more day to go! time for finger exercises!:D

kyle
05-23-2008, 02:28 PM
ahhh damn... its my friend's graduation tomorrow..not sure if i can make it tomorrow but i'll try

Fred Miu
05-23-2008, 06:55 PM
ahhh damn... its my friend's graduation tomorrow..not sure if i can make it tomorrow but i'll try

who graduates on a saturday? LOL

kyle
05-23-2008, 07:41 PM
hahha berkeley kids.. but at least its nearby oakland so i'll try to make it

jjsdad
05-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Looks like I'll be able to make it, but the weather doesn't look so good. There's a slight chance of rain. I wonder if anyone knows of a covered spot for backup?

TONGAN UKE
05-23-2008, 09:30 PM
tomorrow doesn't look too sunny (for me) my moms a little POed right now, i haven't been practicing my piano as much because of my uke....and now she threatens to break my uke....uh-oh.... i need to lie, really badly if i want to go, oh hell...

Guting
05-23-2008, 10:25 PM
^ what the hell? thats not right.

Fred Miu
05-23-2008, 11:42 PM
tomorrow doesn't look too sunny (for me) my moms a little POed right now, i haven't been practicing my piano as much because of my uke....and now she threatens to break my uke....uh-oh.... i need to lie, really badly if i want to go, oh hell...

practice both

and theres a gazebo that we will be at, bring a jacket for rain. PREPARE!

degracia
05-24-2008, 08:09 PM
HOW WAS IT?!! Fred, wheres the vid. Sorry I couldn't make it again haha.

jjsdad
05-24-2008, 09:56 PM
The Meet Up was pretty fun and the weather held out. I think about 8 people showed up. I didn't know many of the songs that they played, but it was fun to try to strum along anyway. Thanks, Fred, for organizing this!

I guess I gotta start listening to Hawaiian Reggae before the next Meet Up...

Guting
05-24-2008, 10:17 PM
^ Whats the music you listen to? I would love to jam in your style.

russ_buss
05-25-2008, 07:56 AM
like jjsdad said, i need to check out some hawaiian reggae STAT! that was a very fun uke meet and it was a pleasure to meet you guys. trina and i took some cell phone pics and will get them posted soon. looking forward to that video fred, no rush! haha.

until next time!

russell

russ_buss
05-25-2008, 08:54 AM
a few cell phone photos from yesterday:

http://www.nplease.com/lakemerritt_jam/lakejam1.jpg

http://www.nplease.com/lakemerritt_jam/lakejam2.jpg

http://www.nplease.com/lakemerritt_jam/lakejam3.jpg

http://www.nplease.com/lakemerritt_jam/lakejam4.jpg

russ_buss
05-25-2008, 08:55 AM
and a few more:

http://www.nplease.com/lakemerritt_jam/lakejam5.jpg

http://www.nplease.com/lakemerritt_jam/lakejam6.jpg

http://www.nplease.com/lakemerritt_jam/lakejam7.jpg

http://www.nplease.com/lakemerritt_jam/lakejam8.jpg

seeso
05-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Very cool! :nana:

Fred is quite the Rasta...

jjsdad
05-25-2008, 09:31 AM
^ Whats the music you listen to? I would love to jam in your style.

Guting,

Style?? What's that? ;)

I guess I mostly like what's now called "oldies"... I.e. music from the 70's and 80's guitar stuff... I did enjoy hearing you folks play and trying to play along with what I could. Stairway to Heaven was fun! What was that other piece that was Gm D Bm E7 or something like that...?

Russ,

Thanks for posting the pics. It makes it look like it was warmer than it really was.

IamRobbyah
05-25-2008, 09:44 AM
had a good time fellas (and trina)! sorry i wasnt much of a contributer, i was still recovering from a hangover -_- plus newbie status. it was coo, however to hear an try an sing a long to a bunch of songs that i havent heard in a while.

an interesting fact: 4strings707 an i live right across the street from each other and never knew it. wut the???

so, to match the names wid sn, it goes as follows?? -

iamrobbyah - rob
4strings707 - ray
guting - mysterious o.g. that jus blows us all outta the water
?????? - dude on guitar
fred miu - fred *edited by Fred (its miu haha)*
russ_buss - russ (+ wifey trina)
jjsdad - "i cant play, but i can bust out a solo at the drop of a hat"

im terrible wid learnin ppls names. hehe. a lil help?

so now that i'm outta school for a lil while and i have a mentor thats a skip an a hop away, i think i'll be able to climb over my newb hurdle in the near future. thank u guys for a good session an for teachin a lil bit. thanks for the snacks too! i wanted to bring lumpia, but i ended up knockin out before i came. next time, next time.

how long did everyone stay til?

Fred Miu
05-25-2008, 11:40 AM
HOW WAS IT?!! Fred, wheres the vid. Sorry I couldn't make it again haha.

i cant produce it immediately haha, though i wish i was that good.

The Meet Up was pretty fun and the weather held out. I think about 8 people showed up. I didn't know many of the songs that they played, but it was fun to try to strum along anyway. Thanks, Fred, for organizing this!

I guess I gotta start listening to Hawaiian Reggae before the next Meet Up...

and no problem man. when i get back from hawaii, im planning another. so practice up!

Rob- Scott was my friend on the guitar, and Jeremy was jjsdad

and russell, BRO the phone pictures are LEGIT!. saving them ASAP.

IamRobbyah
05-25-2008, 12:00 PM
yea, thought both they're names were as u say. how much footage would u say u got?

russ_buss
05-25-2008, 03:08 PM
i was still recovering from a hangover -_-

haha, trina and i had a really rough friday night as well. (blaming karaoke and too much booze). was hurtin' for most of saturday morning before the meet.

and russell, BRO the phone pictures are LEGIT!. saving them ASAP.

never a problem fred. thanks for organizing!

Russ,

Thanks for posting the pics. It makes it look like it was warmer than it really was.

oh it wasn't that bad, was it? us san franciscans are used to much worse!:D

thanks also to ray for the song help and to guting for showing us how to rock four strings like you wouldn't believe!:music:

14twelve
05-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Looks like you guys had a great time! Thanks for the photos :)
Wish there were that many uke players here for a meet up!

jjsdad
05-25-2008, 03:46 PM
jjsdad - "i cant play, but i can bust out a solo at the drop of a hat"

how long did everyone stay til?

I wish! I was only able to pick out Stairway to Heaven because I learned to play that on the guitar way back in the late 70's.. Ok. I'm old.

And just how long *did* everyone stay til?

drifterx
05-25-2008, 07:48 PM
looked like fun wish i could have went but i wasnt feeling to well..depressed and worked in the morning... didnt wanna drive the 2 hours.. next time ill go.. mos def..

IamRobbyah
05-25-2008, 10:22 PM
dang, two hrs? where do u live??? outta curiousity, wut kina car do u drive?

FrankNoCal
05-26-2008, 06:46 AM
its from 3-8pm so if you can even make it to the last hour even, still good!

but thats only if you can.

hey what are you doing monday? i live next to you, we need to meet.

Yeah, we do need to meet. I'm hot that I couldn't make it to the meet-up. This weekend is crazy with the holiday and everything. I got family stuff going on today too. We gotta meet up soon so you can teach me some uke tips. I wanna learn Honey Baby. My daughter loves that song!

Fred Miu
05-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Yeah, we do need to meet. I'm hot that I couldn't make it to the meet-up. This weekend is crazy with the holiday and everything. I got family stuff going on today too. We gotta meet up soon so you can teach me some uke tips. I wanna learn Honey Baby. My daughter loves that song!

im teaching my friend how to drve later this afternoon around 4. imma PM you my number.

drifterx
05-26-2008, 07:54 AM
i live in salinas...haha..i dont mind the drive but as for the car i mostly use my 300zx tt... yuop twinturbo so that means i have 11mpg... haha ... i would take my bike but ill be way to tired... haha... next time though

4strings707
05-26-2008, 08:44 AM
^ he had to mention he has a 300ZX with TWIN TURBO...i'm so jealous.

Thanks Russ for posting the pics. The jam was crackin'. for those who couldn't make it, definitely try to make the next one. I think someone in a previous post wanted to do another one in june, hopefully on a saturday, and this one will have food. I'm down for that.

Russ and Trina, Ray, Rob, Jeremy, Steve...it was a pleasure meeting and jamming with you guys. I found out Rob lives right across the street from me...CRAZY. So much for being neighborly. I try, but as Rob knows...we live near A-holes. His fam, me, and my nextdoor neighbors the only cool ones.

Until next time....peace

IamRobbyah
05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
dun be jealous!!! u have an 86 *cough sr5 cough* but u get betta gas mileage. fd - cutty yee - thas me! one day we gon have to get sideways this way thata way. yeah, where we live is pretty whack. oh well, at least de 'uke brings us togetha.

dripter x - (lol) my fams originally from salinas!!! my auntie owns a filipino restaurant thur. holla holla.

drifterx
05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
iamrobbyah lol blastin the 86 haha... yea my other car is a 240 with a red top all drift ready but im loving the 300z... whats the restaurant called im pretty sure i ate there.. or might even know them

4strings707
05-26-2008, 06:07 PM
iamrobbyah lol blastin the 86 haha... yea my other car is a 240 with a red top all drift ready but im loving the 300z

LOL...yah i know. but everyone wants to buy my car for some reason, and i always turn them down.

IamRobbyah
05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
iamrobbyah lol blastin the 86 haha... yea my other car is a 240 with a red top all drift ready but im loving the 300z... whats the restaurant called im pretty sure i ate there.. or might even know them

na man, i love 86's. as far as the name, i cant remember - its been a long time since i've been back home. i wanna say its called manila hut or somethin. i think its only been open for a couple yrs or so. speaking of family, turns out that one of my uncles played the 'uke when he was a kid. he passed last year and kinda a bitter sweet memory: he was buried wid his lil ol 'uke.

mrmr
06-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but does anyone know a really good ukulele teacher in San Francisco?

Thanks, I'm thinking that some good lessons can only help me get better even faster.

FrankNoCal
06-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but does anyone know a really good ukulele teacher in San Francisco?

Thanks, I'm thinking that some good lessons can only help me get better even faster.

I can give you my instructor's number, but he's not in SF. He's in Walnut Creek.

Fred Miu
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I can give you my instructor's number, but he's not in SF. He's in Walnut Creek.

whose the instructor?! i used to live in walnut creek.

FHS-72
06-03-2008, 10:29 PM
If you guys are planning another session in june I want to try to make. Hope it's not the weekend I moving to my new house. I'll check with kanaka916 if he and dhkane want to try and make it.

FrankNoCal
06-04-2008, 10:45 AM
whose the instructor?! i used to live in walnut creek.

His name is Ron Quesada. He teaches out of Countrywood Music store on Treat Blvd. He's taught me alo, but I'm nowhere close to you, Fred.

Fred Miu
06-04-2008, 04:27 PM
His name is Ron Quesada. He teaches out of Countrywood Music store on Treat Blvd. He's taught me alo, but I'm nowhere close to you, Fred.

im not good man aha, i somehow manage to get around.

is that near the all star donuts? if so i used to live next to that.

ugukfatao21
06-05-2008, 01:03 AM
there's going to be a ukulele workshop and retreat in sonoma during august. the only workshop and retreat i ever heard about are in hawaii so this is kind of nice to have locally. 3 days of learning and playing (and wine tasting)! i thought i'd throw this out there just in case someone is interested. http://www.hoomauukulele.com/

ugukfatao21
06-05-2008, 01:08 AM
instructor Hiram Bell in SSF.

Fred Miu
06-05-2008, 07:08 AM
ya mike da silva gave these flyers out. its like $500 though.

ugukfatao21
06-05-2008, 09:28 AM
ya mike da silva gave these flyers out. its like $500 though.

yea, it ain't cheap. but there may be a few lucky souls with that amount just lying around. so i'm pretty much not going.

Lugnut
06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
How long ago did ya live in Walnut Creek? I just moved from there.

Fred Miu
06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
How long ago did ya live in Walnut Creek? I just moved from there.

i just moved a year ago. ive lived there for 16 years. off jones road near the pleasant hill bart

Fred Miu
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
post in response of post #1, please read me (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812&highlight=area+meet).

Roy Jovero
06-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Mondays and Tuesdays work best for me since those are my days off, but I'm always down to work around other people's schedules. Is there anyone down to pick me up at the nearest BART station if the jam goes down any other day?

jjsdad
06-10-2009, 08:55 PM
****EDIT*** THIS FIRST POST WILL ALWAYS BE CHANGED FOR EVERY MEET UP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. Next meet up in SF will be at Golden Gate Park. The date hasnt been set until people have posted up when is the best day for them. We will then decide on a day thats best for everyone. So far, i am free july 19-31st. Possibly the weekends will be better for people, so maybe the 24th,25th,31st, or maybe august 1st?

Time will probably be around 2-3ish meeting up, it'll be up in the air for now.

post up guys.

-Fred

Hey Fred! I'm up for a meet up in SF in GG Park. Sundays are best for me.
2-3ish sounds good.

Fred Miu
06-10-2009, 09:41 PM
hey JJs dad.

if i come out to SF for church, i for sure can do a meet up on a sunday.

converse415
06-10-2009, 11:46 PM
im good to go pretty much everyday of the week. im out in SF so lemme know whats up.

06-11-2009, 05:39 AM
that's really advance notice. sunday's not the greatest day for me. but let me know. i think august 1st weekend is aloha festival. p/u from bart would be cherry.

Roy Jovero
06-11-2009, 05:54 AM
that's really advance notice. sunday's not the greatest day for me. but let me know. i think august 1st weekend is aloha festival. p/u from bart would be cherry.

I live in Union City. Maybe we can get a group to take BART together if there are enough people to give us rides once we arrive in SF.

russ_buss
06-11-2009, 06:52 AM

why not just make the aloha festival the meetup place?

i had just missed jjsdad and family last year, but did meet up with Robby and his gal. parking is kind of a mess unless you get there early. but the weather should be nice and plenty of space for jamming. what do you guys think?

06-11-2009, 07:14 AM
why not just make the aloha festival the meetup place?

i had just missed jjsdad and family last year, but did meet up with Robby and his gal. parking is kind of a mess unless you get there early. but the weather should be nice and plenty of space for jamming. what do you guys think?

depending on what day and time you guys go.

i agree parking and getting to parking is a mess at the presidio, but come on now, presidio weather is unpredictable. safe bet is to bring a good WINDBREAKER.