Republic tenor reso

ichadwick

Reaction score
I have always been impressed with vintage ones, but wonder how this stacks up to similarly priced Kala's, Gretsch's, etc.

Not the same. Look at how the strings enter the body. Not on a bridge or tailpiece.

I have tried Kala's tenor reso and it was okay, but didn't excite me. Still looking....

Spoke with Del Rey recently...her advice was if you're going to buy a resonator uke, don't get a cheap one.

Spoke with Del Rey recently...her advice was if you're going to buy a resonator uke, don't get a cheap one.
Resos primarily depend on their sound not from the woods but rather from the cone and biscuit; both easily upgraded or replaced.

Price may make for a better neck, but I doubt the extra $$$ would make a difference in sound.

My experience with Republic (a concert model) was that they are good value for the price and have a reasonably good sound.

Big thing with resos is to have enough tension on the biscuit to make the cone sing. That means the angle of the string matters, as well as the scale (tenors have more tension than shorter scales). I find the Kala reso a little shallow on the angle.

??? Looks like they go through the cover plate as Kala's did before installed the tailpiece. If I could play better, I'd probably get a Mya Moe reso

??? Looks like they go through the cover plate as Kala's did before installed the tailpiece.

That has always been republic's design. Same as a couple of others like Johnson - same ukes, different label. Republic seems to put more post-manufacture care into theirs.

If I could play better, I'd probably get a Mya Moe reso
If I could spend more money, I would too... ;-)

Top Bottom