Ukulele Chord Basics Help

TheBear321

Reaction score
I can't play chords I don't know whether I'm supposed to hold the string all the way down or touch it (doesn't work either). Every time I try it's just a thud noise. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? And can you please help?

You might want to try to take a couple of local lessons so someone can watch what you're doing.

You want to press the finger all the way down, using the tips of your fingers. At first, it will not be comfortable,
but over time, you will build up calluses and it will be easier.

It's hard to say much more without seeing you do it. Try to find some YouTube videos showing a close up of someone's fretting hand.

This forum is great thanks everyone I figured it out. I had to arch my fingers and press all the way down. :D

Now that you got that. make sure you are not killing it. work on applying just enough pressure to make a clean sound. The reason is so you don't become fatigued while playing. also it helps with changing chords.

Also Welcome to UU!!

Now that you got that. make sure you are not killing it. work on applying just enough pressure to make a clean sound. The reason is so you don't become fatigued while playing. also it helps with changing chords.

Also Welcome to UU!!

:agree: - another reason is that you can pull even a well set up ukulele out of tune by death-clamping the strings at the first couple of frets - we won't even talk about how far you can pull the strings out of tune on a ukulele that's not well set up! I taught myself guitar many years ago and it took me years to overcome the bad habit of clamping too tightly.

John

Top Bottom