Questions to Koaloha ukulele owners

Brian W

Reaction score
What model(s) do you own, or have owned in the past? Are there any problems or issues with the tops warping, due to a lack of traditional bracing? Do these ukes handle hard tension strings well, like a Kamaka?

I am very interested in possibly purchasing a KSM-00, but wonder how well they hold up over the years. Their construction and lack of traditional bracing has me a little concerned that problems will develop over time.

I have a PS, Sceptre, two tenors, two concerts, long neck pineapple and soprano. I have never had an issue with warping of the soundboard.

I had a concert for a short while, figured out I liked longneck soprano better so bought one of those and then sold the concert. The longneck soprano is about three years old and has a very slight dip in front of the bridge (slight enough I had to use a straight edge to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me). However, I think it's been that way all along and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I do suspect that maybe the lightly braced KoAlohas won't have the heirloom longevity of some other brands - but I don't care what it sounds or looks like after I'm dead and gone, anyway. :)

Now, as to your second question, I can't speak to all KoAlohas but mine absolutely hates high tension strings. They squeeze the volume and sustain right down to nothing - sounds like a $30 uke with heavy strings on. That's a shame, because I happen to love high tension strings both for the feel and for the fact that they tend to intonate better up the neck. Oh well, the KoAloha does sound great with regular strings (both "CM" fluorocarbon and Ko'Olau Alohi work well on it - the Alohi are not quite as chimey but they intonate better.

John

Presently have a 2013 KoAloha concert and a 2010 KoAloha soprano. Also had a 2009 Concert. All great ukes. No problem with warping of the soundboard or anything else.

Own a soprano. Just when i pick it up it feels like one of the most solid ukes I own. Great volume and tone too. Highly recommended.

I had a sceptre with a sunk top as most on here know. The good thing is their replacing it even tho I wasn't the original owner. I would think you wouldn't need to worry about it since they are so good about the warranty. Actually better then any I'm familiar with. How many builders or company's would replace it if you weren't the original owner? None that I know of. I should be receiving my replacement soon.

Thrilled with both of mine; see below. I like the strings that came with the instruments. No problems!

I have had or presently own KoAloha tenors, super concerts, concerts, Pineapple Sundays, and Sceptres and have never had an issue with any kind of soundboard dishing or warping. Am I just lucky? I don't know. But their unibrace design contribute greatly to their wonderful sound and incredible volume.

I will say that the string tension on my tenor(a 2007 model which I still own), is the highest of any of the tenors that I own. I have it strung re-entrant with Savarez Alliance strings, but have had Worths, Freemonts, and Hilos on it. The tension has always been high. And to your original post, I also own a Kamaka HF-3, but the string tension is not as high as my KoAloha.

I have had or presently own KoAloha tenors, super concerts, concerts, Pineapple Sundays, and Sceptres and have never had an issue with any kind of soundboard dishing or warping. Am I just lucky? I don't know. But their unibrace design contribute greatly to their wonderful sound and incredible volume.

I will say that the string tension on my tenor(a 2007 model which I still own), is the highest of any of the tenors that I own. I have it strung re-entrant with Savarez Alliance strings, but have had Worths, Freemonts, and Hilos on it. The tension has always been high. And to your original post, I also own a Kamaka HF-3, but the string tension is not as high as my KoAloha.

Do you notice any drop in volume or sustain using hard tension strings, as was noted by Oldephart on his longneck soprano?

I have a tenor, and have a Pineapple Sunday. I previously had a Pineapple Sunday that had a warp issue (I actually sold it not realizing the issue existed). After refunding the buyer, I sent it to KoAloha and they replaced it with a brand new Pineapple Sunday.

I have no issues with the new PS or the tenor.

Presently have a 2013 KoAloha concert and a 2010 KoAloha soprano. Also had a 2009 Concert. All great ukes. No problem with warping of the soundboard or anything else.

mee too I have a soprano and concert....I used to play and test many for my ukulele dealer friend as he brought them to my house..wow...no worries and the warpage is rare on their
standard ukes if any...but I've heard them on the sceptres and one on a sunday but not much...

Do you notice any drop in volume or sustain using hard tension strings, as was noted by Oldephart on his longneck soprano?

All strings will not resonate as well with higher tension....you have to find the sweet spot at Bb or B dropped tuning for a richer deeper resonation and longer substain with strings...

I have a KSM-03 known as the Pineapple Longneck. No issues with warping, that I can see, at least.

This is one of the lightest ukes I own, and also one of the most unbalanced, as the body is so thin and light, that the neck is heavier. However, it feels like you are playing air, since it feels light enough to float away.

Also, it's the nicest uke I've ever owned. Perfect in every detail, and it just feels really nice and enjoyable, like there's nothing standing in the way of me making sweet sweet music (well, except my lack of skill or talent).

I bought KoAloha Mango Tenor with red label (custom made) from someone else on this site about a month ago. Currently strung with low G Worth Clears. :D

The strings I have on my KoAloha tenor are not "hard" tension strings. The string tension on it just happens to be high. I have used hard tension Low G Worth strings on my Kamaka and they were slightly more muted than the Savarez strings I have on it now. Hope this helps

My Pikkake Soprano is my favourite uke it has no issues with dishing or build quality, it has Worth clears on it and sounds absolutely beautiful, I would never part with it

I have an older soprano that I bought from a member in the marketplace here. I don't know how much he played it but it was well cared for. I have the harder Aquila reds on it now. I have seen no warping whatsoever and it remains in perfect condition. Keep it humidified and play it often.

What model(s) do you own, or have owned in the past? Are there any problems or issues with the tops warping, due to a lack of traditional bracing? Do these ukes handle hard tension strings well, like a Kamaka?

I am very interested in possibly purchasing a KSM-00, but wonder how well they hold up over the years. Their construction and lack of traditional bracing has me a little concerned that problems will develop over time.
I currently have a pikake concert and a tenor septre. I have had a crown bridge tenor. they are the best sounding ukes I own,and bottom line, they stand behind their instruments, and treat you like family, no questions asked. you can't ask any more than that.

Last edited:
I have a pineapple soprano-no problems whatsoever! It's birthday is Oct 2010. I really liked Martin strings on her and just switched to Living Water strings. I am still letting them settle in before I render an opinion.

Koaloha.jpg

Top Bottom