PDA

View Full Version : Stock Aquila Strings or D'addario T2 Titaniums?

WakaGrade
05-24-2013, 04:34 PM
I just bought a Lanakai Soprano that came with Aquila strings and they sound better than I expected stock strings to sound. I'm not use to stock strings on new instruments sounding all that great so when I bought the Uke I also purchased some D'addario T2 titanium concert strings.

I'm assuming it's ok to use concert strings on a soprano model from what I've read.

Could I get a better sound by throwing on the T2's or should I stick with the Aquilas for now?

Jim Hanks
05-24-2013, 06:04 PM
You'll get a different sound with the T2's but only you can decide if it's "better" on your uke or not.

If you like the sound and feel of the Aquilas there is no reason to switch them out. I'm still using the stock Aquilas on my Ohana tenor even though I ordered some Worth browns for it shortly after the uke arrived.

vanflynn
05-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Better is a relative term. Give it a try, you can always change back. Just remember to mark which string is which! I put my used string in separate baggies

PereBourik
05-25-2013, 06:59 AM
I just bought a Lanakai Soprano that came with Aquila strings and they sound better than I expected stock strings to sound. I'm not use to stock strings on new instruments sounding all that great so when I bought the Uke I also purchased some D'addario T2 titanium concert strings.

I'm assuming it's ok to use concert strings on a soprano model from what I've read.

Could I get a better sound by throwing on the T2's or should I stick with the Aquilas for now?

I have a Lanikai Pineapple. Came stock with Aquila strings. It was. Not a pleasant sounds. Re-strung it with D'Addario T2s and gained (subjectively to me at least) better sound. Did lose a little in volume, though. I am not a fan of Aquila strings on any uke I've tried. Others in the UU forum have said you hear those strings more than you hear the instrument itself. Presently have Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings on the pineapple. I like the sound.

DaveVisi
05-25-2013, 07:03 AM
I too just swapped out some Aquila's for T2s. Like PereBourik, I lost some volume, but overall I like the mellower sound.

They also feel softer on the fingers and don't have the raspy sound of the textured Aquilas. They seem to be thinner and very smooth and soft. So soft in fact that I had some trouble stringing my uke as they slipped out of the tuner holes. I had to double loop them to keep them from pulling out under tension.

Johnny GDS
05-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I have been liking the T2's lately, but you will probably lose a little volume. The concert set should be fine on your soprano uke, the only difference between a T2 concert set and T2 soprano set is the "A" string on the soprano set is .028 inches and the "A" on the concert set is .025 inches. The rest of the strings are the same thickness. You won't even notice the difference.

I would play the aquilas for a while since you think they sound pretty decent. Those strings come stock on tons of different ukes these days, and that's not a coincidence. Its because they are a pretty decent sounding string!

WakaGrade
05-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the great replies! I think I may leave these Aquilas on here for another week or two and then put the T2's on. I'll report back on the difference.

WakaGrade
06-08-2013, 01:29 PM
I switched out the strings and I gotta say I think I'm gonna switch them back to the Aquilas. The sound is dull and they are harder to press down which wouldn't be an issue if the frets weren't so small for my big fingers.

bnolsen
06-08-2013, 02:58 PM
I switched out the strings and I gotta say I think I'm gonna switch them back to the Aquilas. The sound is dull and they are harder to press down which wouldn't be an issue if the frets weren't so small for my big fingers.

Probably martin m600s or other fluoros. I still have aqulas on my lanakai pinrapple but I'm too lazy to do the string walk between different ukuleles at the moment. I also have a set of nyltech's staring at me, I'm not sure where to put those. Three of my instruments still have the stock aquilas and I'm not super pleased with them, but they're definitely not bad strings.

WakaGrade
06-09-2013, 06:15 AM
After going back to the Aquilas, I absolutely love them. I think it was because the T2's were for concert they were more bland sounding. Also way too firm. My Uke is sounding great! I almost took it back because I just wasn't adjusted to it, but now I am. It's staying in tune and sounding real nice. The Aquilas have a brighter melodic loud sound that I appreciate. Here is a few months I'm gonna throw down on a $200 concert, but for now I'm really enjoying this little Lanakai LU-12SGC.

hibiscus
06-09-2013, 06:59 AM
I just received an SK-38 from MIM and it sounds fantastic with Aquilas. It's the first ukulele I've liked with Aquilas. I like the volume, the feel, the sound. Boy was I surprised!

airmanfoote
06-12-2013, 08:27 AM
If you still like the idea of the T2s but prefer the feel of the Aquilas, try the Pro Arte's. For me on my LU-21, the T2s seem to slip a little and tend to stray sharp after playing for awhile. The Pro Artes seem to settle in and stay in tune more like the stock Aquilas that came equipped. I like the way the Aquilas settle but to me they aren't as loud as I'd would like. The Pro Artes, for me, fit perfect on the Lanikai. Can't go wrong with a nice setup, either.

If interested in what the Pro Artes sound like, I have a video on my YouTube channel. Nothing fancy. Enjoy your Lanikai!! :D