Sarah Maisel: Best Young Gun?

gyosh

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Have you taken the time to check out this young lady's videos? It's unbelievable how smooth she is with those very difficult jazz chords. The more I watch, the more I'm in AWE!

I got to see Sarah play live with (and without) Craig Chee at Mike DaSilva's studio recently. She's really impressive and a lot of fun to watch and listen to. But since I'm trying to eliminate the word "gun" and words synonymous with the word "gun" from my vocabulary of idioms, I'd like to find something otyher than "young gun" to call her, like the much less colorful "amazing young talent" or something.

I got to see Sarah play live with (and without) Craig Chee at Mike DaSilva's studio recently. She's really impressive and a lot of fun to watch and listen to. But since I'm trying to eliminate the word "gun" and words synonymous with the word "gun" from my vocabulary of idioms, I'd like to find something otyher than "young gun" to call her, like the much less colorful "amazing young talent" or something.

It appears you can't edit the title of a post once you've posted.

I would have been there for that show, but my son had a few kiddie birthday parties that day and by the time they ended it was too late to make the workshop so I went to Jason Arimoto's class instead.

Sarah Maisel (pronounced maysell) is a transplant from the southeast and a personal friend, here in the San Diego area. She studied ukulele under the recently deceased Frank Leong and brought those teachings to an all new level. When Sarah performs with bass master Paul Tillery, her music steps up into a higher dimension. Add Sarah's inside and outside beauty to all of that and you have a killer formula to musical satisfaction!

http://www.sarahmaisel.com

Ric

Sarah is Definetely Amazing and impressive...her talent and humbleness is right there next to Jake....

She has been using the CR Rick Turner made for her during our lessons.

I'm still waiting for a video sample of that bad boy. My list of potential customs has gotten very short, but I want to hear that thing before I make a final decision...

Yeah, I think she's a young Lyle Ritz. Very rare indeed!

It appears you can't edit the title of a post once you've posted.

Sorry Gary. That wasn't meant to sound like a dig.

I would have been there for that show, but my son had a few kiddie birthday parties that day and by the time they ended it was too late to make the workshop so I went to Jason Arimoto's class instead.

Sarah seems to be traveling the ukulele festival circuit this year. I'm hoping she'll attend and give workshops at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival in September.

Hi Gary,

I'm taking jazz ukulele lessons from Sarah via skype. It is such a pleasure to work with her and I highly recommend it. She has been using the CR Rick Turner made for her during our lessons.

Mahalo,

Don

Sarah was playing a DaSilva ukulele during her workshop and performance at Mike DaSilva's studio. It, too, sounded wonderful.

Last edited:

Hey I was at Mr. DaSilva's place for that workshop too.

Sarah is my favorite ukulele entertainer not only for her jazz styling bur for her sublime voice as well. She'll be at the Big Island ukulele retreat (almost next door to me) in October. I really look forward to meeting her.

There's lots of samples on You Tube but Sarah has the unique mini-jumbo cutaway "jazz" uke that Rick himself made for her.

Yes, that's the one I am interested in. I was planning on being in San Diego a month or so ago, and Sarah told me, via email, that she would bring the CR to one of her gigs for me to check out. My trip was postponed, unfortunately, so I have been hoping for a video.

Rick told me he is building one for himself, so hopefully he will get a video up when it is complete.

Yes, that's the one I am interested in. I was planning on being in San Diego a month or so ago, and Sarah told me, via email, that she would bring the CR to one of her gigs for me to check out. My trip was postponed, unfortunately, so I have been hoping for a video.

Rick told me he is building one for himself, so hopefully he will get a video up when it is complete.

I think I have his soundboard in mine:)

The "le Jazz" model became an option just after I ordered my custom. I had a moment of regret, but I really like the way mine came out.

Maybe Sarah will do a sound sample of mine for me:)

I think I have his soundboard in mine:)

The "le Jazz" model became an option just after I ordered my custom. I had a moment of regret, but I really like the way mine came out.

Maybe Sarah will do a sound sample of mine for me:)

Sarah has the playing talent,voice,looks,and seems like a nice person. I hope she gets all the success she deserves.

I remember Rick's Facebook post about the le jazz cutaway option. I asked him about it in November and he said it was too late to do it on mine. Btw yours looks really great it was worth the wait to get the extra inlay around the body and headstock. Really adds to the look.

Sarah Maisel (pronounced maysell) is a transplant from the southeast and a personal friend, here in the San Diego area. She studied ukulele under the recently deceased Frank Leong and brought those teachings to an all new level. When Sarah performs with bass master Paul Tillery, her music steps up into a higher dimension. Add Sarah's inside and outside beauty to all of that and you have a killer formula to musical satisfaction!

http://www.sarahmaisel.com

Ric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1mTra5hkg
Sarah Maisel, "I owe it all to practice...when I first started, I practiced four to six hours a day, I just loved playing."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1mTra5hkg
Sarah Maisel, "I owe it all to practice...when I first started, I practiced four to six hours a day, I just loved playing."

: "If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?"

-Allen Iverson :)

Yeah, but Allen Iverson sucks at the ukulele:)

I'd like to get good enough to take lessons from Ms. Maisel -- her playing is both fluid and joyful.

Top Bottom