PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Maisel: Best Young Gun?

gyosh
05-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Have you taken the time to check out this young lady's videos? It's unbelievable how smooth she is with those very difficult jazz chords. The more I watch, the more I'm in AWE!

mds725
05-24-2013, 06:53 PM
I got to see Sarah play live with (and without) Craig Chee at Mike DaSilva's studio recently. She's really impressive and a lot of fun to watch and listen to. But since I'm trying to eliminate the word "gun" and words synonymous with the word "gun" from my vocabulary of idioms, I'd like to find something otyher than "young gun" to call her, like the much less colorful "amazing young talent" or something.

gyosh
05-24-2013, 07:05 PM
I got to see Sarah play live with (and without) Craig Chee at Mike DaSilva's studio recently. She's really impressive and a lot of fun to watch and listen to. But since I'm trying to eliminate the word "gun" and words synonymous with the word "gun" from my vocabulary of idioms, I'd like to find something otyher than "young gun" to call her, like the much less colorful "amazing young talent" or something.

It appears you can't edit the title of a post once you've posted.

gyosh
05-24-2013, 07:06 PM

I would have been there for that show, but my son had a few kiddie birthday parties that day and by the time they ended it was too late to make the workshop so I went to Jason Arimoto's class instead.

ricdoug
05-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Sarah Maisel (pronounced maysell) is a transplant from the southeast and a personal friend, here in the San Diego area. She studied ukulele under the recently deceased Frank Leong and brought those teachings to an all new level. When Sarah performs with bass master Paul Tillery, her music steps up into a higher dimension. Add Sarah's inside and outside beauty to all of that and you have a killer formula to musical satisfaction!

http://www.sarahmaisel.com

Ric

mm stan
05-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Sarah is Definetely Amazing and impressive...her talent and humbleness is right there next to Jake....

Wicked
05-25-2013, 02:46 AM
She has been using the CR Rick Turner made for her during our lessons.

I'm still waiting for a video sample of that bad boy. My list of potential customs has gotten very short, but I want to hear that thing before I make a final decision...

stevepetergal
05-25-2013, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I think she's a young Lyle Ritz. Very rare indeed!

mds725
05-25-2013, 05:43 AM

Sorry Gary. That wasn't meant to sound like a dig.

I would have been there for that show, but my son had a few kiddie birthday parties that day and by the time they ended it was too late to make the workshop so I went to Jason Arimoto's class instead.

Sarah seems to be traveling the ukulele festival circuit this year. I'm hoping she'll attend and give workshops at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival in September.

Hi Gary,

I'm taking jazz ukulele lessons from Sarah via skype. It is such a pleasure to work with her and I highly recommend it. She has been using the CR Rick Turner made for her during our lessons.

Mahalo,

Don

Sarah was playing a DaSilva ukulele during her workshop and performance at Mike DaSilva's studio. It, too, sounded wonderful.

electrauke
05-25-2013, 06:01 AM

Hey I was at Mr. DaSilva's place for that workshop too.

electrauke
05-25-2013, 06:02 AM
Yeah she is very good. She is a good teacher too. Love her jazz progressions.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
05-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Sarah is my favorite ukulele entertainer not only for her jazz styling bur for her sublime voice as well. She'll be at the Big Island ukulele retreat (almost next door to me) in October. I really look forward to meeting her.

Wicked
05-25-2013, 07:13 AM
There's lots of samples on You Tube but Sarah has the unique mini-jumbo cutaway "jazz" uke that Rick himself made for her.

Yes, that's the one I am interested in. I was planning on being in San Diego a month or so ago, and Sarah told me, via email, that she would bring the CR to one of her gigs for me to check out. My trip was postponed, unfortunately, so I have been hoping for a video.

Rick told me he is building one for himself, so hopefully he will get a video up when it is complete.

gyosh
05-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Yes, that's the one I am interested in. I was planning on being in San Diego a month or so ago, and Sarah told me, via email, that she would bring the CR to one of her gigs for me to check out. My trip was postponed, unfortunately, so I have been hoping for a video.

Rick told me he is building one for himself, so hopefully he will get a video up when it is complete.

I think I have his soundboard in mine:)

The "le Jazz" model became an option just after I ordered my custom. I had a moment of regret, but I really like the way mine came out.

Maybe Sarah will do a sound sample of mine for me:)

Newportlocal
05-25-2013, 01:29 PM
I think I have his soundboard in mine:)

The "le Jazz" model became an option just after I ordered my custom. I had a moment of regret, but I really like the way mine came out.

Maybe Sarah will do a sound sample of mine for me:)

Sarah has the playing talent,voice,looks,and seems like a nice person. I hope she gets all the success she deserves.

I remember Rick's Facebook post about the le jazz cutaway option. I asked him about it in November and he said it was too late to do it on mine. Btw yours looks really great it was worth the wait to get the extra inlay around the body and headstock. Really adds to the look.

7warriorlion
05-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Sarah Maisel (pronounced maysell) is a transplant from the southeast and a personal friend, here in the San Diego area. She studied ukulele under the recently deceased Frank Leong and brought those teachings to an all new level. When Sarah performs with bass master Paul Tillery, her music steps up into a higher dimension. Add Sarah's inside and outside beauty to all of that and you have a killer formula to musical satisfaction!

http://www.sarahmaisel.com

Ric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1mTra5hkg
Sarah Maisel, "I owe it all to practice...when I first started, I practiced four to six hours a day, I just loved playing."

gyosh
05-25-2013, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x1mTra5hkg
Sarah Maisel, "I owe it all to practice...when I first started, I practiced four to six hours a day, I just loved playing."

: "If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?"

-Allen Iverson :)

BigMamaJ40
05-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Yeah, but Allen Iverson sucks at the ukulele:)

I'd like to get good enough to take lessons from Ms. Maisel -- her playing is both fluid and joyful.

Gillian
05-25-2013, 07:29 PM
She and Craig Chee are going to host a Ukulele Cruise (http://www.cruiseshipcenters.com/en-US/ChrisMerkel/local-promotions/7694-Ukuleles-Along-the-California), Sept 27 - Oct. 4.

I'm seriously thinking about this.

Newportlocal
05-25-2013, 07:35 PM
She and Craig Chee are going to host a Ukulele Cruise (http://www.cruiseshipcenters.com/en-US/ChrisMerkel/local-promotions/7694-Ukuleles-Along-the-California), Sept 27 - Oct. 4.

That would be so much fun!

gyosh
05-25-2013, 07:57 PM

Do it!

You'd love Craig. Personable, funny and infectious laughter, plus he plays the heck out of a uke.

Gillian
05-25-2013, 08:13 PM
That would be so much fun!

When you figure in the ~$100 taxes, the cheapest (inside) stateroom package is ~$1250. That's ~$180 a day for everything except booze.

Gillian
05-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Do it!...

My husband says the same thing!

I love ocean travel. Been back and forth across the Atlantic on the Cunard ships 22 times. Traveled on the old Queen Mary on one of her last voyages. I'd love to tour that old ship again when the cruise ship stops in Long Beach.

I'm going to call the agent on Tuesday after this holiday weekend.

Dan Uke
05-25-2013, 08:31 PM
My husband says the same thing!

I love ocean travel. Been back and forth across the Atlantic on the Cunard ships 22 times. Traveled on the old Queen Mary on one of her last voyages. I'd love to tour that old ship again when the cruise ship stops in Long Beach.

I'm going to call the agent on Tuesday after this holiday weekend.

Good for you!!

Newportlocal
05-25-2013, 09:25 PM
When you figure in the ~$100 taxes, the cheapest (inside) stateroom package is ~$1250. That's ~$180 a day for everything except booze.

I used to spend more than that on long range fishing trips out of San Diego. I hope you make the trip. You will really enjoy yourself. That is amazing that you went on the Queen Mary. I remember when they were selling furniture off of it, and when you could really explore on it. Gary is right Craig will keep you laughing and smiling a really nice guy.
Glad your husband is telling you to do it.

hawaii 50
05-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Hey Sarah..i hope you get a chance to read this thread..
80% of the of the posters are my friends Stan included..haha..wow! take care Oct.should be here soon..

Skinny Money McGee
05-26-2013, 02:52 AM

Don't worry about it, "young gun" is fine. Everyone knows what your talking about. No need to be politically correct.

gyosh
05-26-2013, 04:43 AM
Don't worry about it, "young gun" is fine. Everyone knows what your talking about. No need to be politically correct.

Mark and I are friends, he wasn't directing me to change the title, I was going to do it because there are much better titles that I could have used. No worries, but thank you for the support.

mds725
05-26-2013, 05:59 AM

I didn't mean to sound like I was chastizing Gary for his choice of words in his thread title, and I've already apologized to him (post #11). With what feels like an uptick in gun violence here in the U.S. recently, I've been thinking a lot of the ways in which guns have seeped into aspects of our culture that are otherwise unrealted to guns, and I thought I saw a teachable moment.

frukmana
11-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Glad im digging the old post. Sarah is amazing!

Captain America
11-22-2013, 02:33 AM
interesting to see the California angst here over wording. We know what you mean. That's fine. She's great and good; and I feel there's a quirkiness about her vocals that's interesting, makes her performances interesting. Like the jazz chords; saw the youtube interview; like the happiness over practice or the positivity there.

what's it like doing skype instruction? Never used skype.

PhilUSAFRet
11-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Saw her at the recent Tampa Bay Uke Getaway. Her playing style is "elegant", with perfect fingering and technique. She is indeed impressive. Another fine example of what you get when you do simple things perfectly.

PereBourik
11-22-2013, 06:24 AM
I didn't mean to sound like I was chastizing Gary for his choice of words in his thread title, and I've already apologized to him (post #11). With what feels like an uptick in gun violence here in the U.S. recently, I've been thinking a lot of the ways in which guns have seeped into aspects of our culture that are otherwise unrealted to guns, and I thought I saw a teachable moment.

Thank you.

Freeda
11-22-2013, 06:55 AM

Me too. :) I've been wanting to see Alaska.

misterpk
11-22-2013, 06:56 AM
I think the wife and I are going to go to this. :)

Gillian
11-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Until I can attend one of Sarah's workshops, does anyone have a jazz ukulele book they can recommend?

BTW, I think Sarah's gorgeous "Le Jazz" uke is called a microjumbo tenor with cutaway.

Uke Republic
11-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Gotta love Sarah! What a great performer and nice person. She was at the Tampa Uke Fest and really went the extra mile in performing, teaching and mingling. She seems to be at a lot of Uke Fest across the globe as of late.

Chordpoems
11-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Sarah is among a small handful of players who sparked my interest and inspired my picking up the instrument. I was a frustrated guitarist before I heard her playing, and that of John King. After that it was inevitable.

So, lots of love and much thanks to Sarah.

Wicked
11-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Until I can attend one of Sarah's workshops, does anyone have a jazz ukulele book they can recommend?

Are you looking to learn jazz tunes to sing to (play the chords), learn jazz chord melodies to play solo, or learn how to play jazz (including improvisation)?

Gillian
11-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Are you looking to learn jazz tunes to sing to (play the chords), learn jazz chord melodies to play solo, or learn how to play jazz (including improvisation)?

I'm not much of a singer, so instrumental jazz chords with melody is my present goal. Improvisation will come much, much later, if at all.

Kyle23
11-22-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't know, but I have a big crush on her lol