100th Post (no video yet) and Good news

haolejohn

Reaction score
OK. I really wanted to wait and post my 100th post with a video commemorating the moment but sometimes events happen in life that are to great to wait...

My wife is learning the uke.

I have been trying to get her to play for awhile (2 years) and she wasn't to receptive at first. So we come to new jersey to visit her dad and I get him to take us to Guitar Center on Route 22. I was looking for some student models and they only had a cordoba (supposed to be Koa) tenor which sounded ok. It was actually in tune. Anyways we went to look at any uke starter books and she wanted me to buy a Hal Leanered one (only one they had) because it looked fairly easy to her (of course to me it looked completely confusing). We get back to her dad's and she grabs the book and next thing I know she is playing 'are you sleeping'. Then she puts in the strumming basics by Roy Akami? I think that is how his name is spelled. Anyways next thing I know she is ripping out chords. She sounded great. Now she is starting to get UAS. We definitely need to get her either a soprano or a tenor. So we took a little trip to NYC and went into two music stores Sam Ash and Manny's? They were next to each other. I met a new ukulele player in Sam Ash's and introduced him to UU but I don't think he will come he wasn't the friendliest uker. Anyways I played a martin soprano (Big crack in the back) and a oschar schmidt spruce top. Didn't like the sound of either one and the guys that worked there had no idea the martin was cracked. Makes me wonder. Anyways we went across to the manny's? and they had a decent selection of ukes. Had all four styles in stock and I got to try a Lani Kai tenor with aquillas out. It sounded pretty good. Not as good as my Meles but not bad for a laminate. Now I am debating changing my strings out but if I go with the aquillas I won't have the Low G anymore. Anyways back to original focus. My wife is pretty good and I look forward to practicing with her as soon as we get home and get another uke. She doesn't like playing notes and she can't pick yet but it'll come soon. I told her not to worry all I do is strum and finger play. I don't know what i am doing half the time i play. So be on the look out for her. She's hot and she strums now. Just remember she is already taken.

Congrats! I wish I could get my husband to play. I think I need the help of Bosko and Honey. They really inspired him when they played here, and it did get him to start playing again... albiet bass and keyboard.

He does say if he could sound like Bosko, he'd pick up a uke. Yeah, he wants the instant success without the practice. ;)

I'm more at your speed, and I wish I could read music with the uke. I mean I can read music, but finding the notes on the uke makes it a bit remedial and too frustrating to keep at it.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention there is a size between soprano and tenor. ;)

Also, you don't have to loose low G if you switch to Aquilas. Aquilas have a low G setup you can order.

Man that is great, My wife and I both play uke. I could go on and on what a great time we have had jamming and performing. The only down side is she has called dubs on some of the (my) ukes!!!

Grats on getting your wife interested. Oddly enough, mine is kind of mildly interested. Thing is that she is profoundly deaf. Hearing aids and awesome lip reading skill is what got her through most of her life. About 4 years ago the hearing aids stopped helping her all that much, so she took a plunge and got Cochlear implants.

As an aside, hanging around with someone in thier mid forties who is actualy hearing things for the first time can be extremely amusing.

When I first started playing it drove her nuts. Shake a key chain near her if you want to piss her off. Badly played uke and key chain shaking are not all that far apart. At this point, she kind of wants to do what I can do. I have 2tenor ukes and I have tried to show her some basics. She can do a C but she does not seem to be able to form an F chord. She insists on keeping her fingers near straight no matter how many times I show her the correct position.

Ah well.

As for the 100 posts thing.....at my rate.....February, maby.

Now I am debating changing my strings out but if I go with the aquillas I won't have the Low G anymore.

According to the packaging on my Aquilas they have low G sets for Soprano, Concert and Tenor. so you may just have to order them.

man. I would love it if my girl played the uke. I have been trying for two years now. Your a very lucky man. your wife gives me hope that it could happen.

Hey Guys.
Ron: I have started a club at our school. Had 26 students sign up. They all know that they will have to buy there own ukes so that number will probably drop. I will be teaching the uke to the club. (elementary school).

DeG- I love the dulcimer. Almost bought one in May but I decided to focus on the uke. One of the players I met that lives fairly close to us is in a band that plays bluegrass style and he plays the uke in it.

It has been fun watching the wife play these last few days. She hardly puts my tenor down. Now I wished I had brought my other uke with us.

I opened the aquilas and saw that they come in low g. But do those strings sound as good as the nygluts? It'll be ok b/c eventually I'll have another tenor that I can string low g.

Top Bottom