Difficult Chord - Fmaj7 - 2313

arktrav

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I can do pretty well with most chords, if I work at it, but this one is most difficult!

What would you substitute for it? (Maybe just skip it?)

Or, maybe, you have a special way to make it "that seems possible".

As I posted further down, I voiced the chord wsrong in the beginning. It shuld be 2413, Fmaj7.

Blessings,
arktrav

Last edited:
5500 or 5557, but they may not work well in the progression. What song are you playing with an Fmaj7?

I'm trying to learn "Try to Remember" with that chord in it for an event I am playing next week. I have been trying to find an alternative to this but thanks to Raygf, I now have one. 5500 works quite well and is very easy. Since there will be around a dozen other players I was just going to try to fake it, but now I don't have to. It's a good day in uke world!

I believe that 2310 also works if that's any easier - its the same cord but eliminate the pinky. I actually started with that and have just recently added the pinky to get to 2313.

It depends on the context. If you're playing with a band the bassist will be taking care of the roots so an Am will be fine.

Tricky thing is that major seventh chords tend to sound quite harsh if you voice the root (F in this case) above the seventh. Notice how only the second of Ray's voicings takes this into account:
5500 or CFEA (although the E is on a higher string it is actually lower in pitch than the F note)
5557 or CFAE (notice the E is higher in pitch than the F in the chord)

Of course if it sounds good to you, go with it! As a general rule though I'd avoid voicing the root above the seventh, so I'd go for the 5557.

Also 2313 is actually an F7, or F dominant seventh if you like. If that's actually the chord you're going for, you can substitute an A dim triad which would be 23x3.

Hope this can be of some use!

Last edited:
Uhhh, 2313 is an F7, not an FMaj7...

If you have a chord sheet calling for an FMaj7 then either the 5500 or 5577 fingerings recommended above would probably be best, depending on what chords you need to get from and to. Actually, 2410 is also good on smaller ukes.

But, if you have a chord diagram showing 2313 then what they really meant was an F7 and for that you can use 2313 or 2310 (it's nice to learn the first shape because it's a closed chord and you can move it up and down the fretboard).

Also, keep in mind that regardless of whether the song really calls for a FMaj7 or F7 you can get away with simply playing an F if there are enough other players to pick up the slack. No one will notice you didn't put in the extra maj 7 or dom 7 note! (Of course, if the entire group is thinking the same thing there will end up being a little something missing from the arrangement...)

John

As Ramon says, 2313 is an F7 chord, and consequently a chord shape you will need to master. So, keep practicing.

A most common form of Fmaj7 near the headstock is 2413. You might find this one even harder than the 2313. So a perfectly acceptable sub is 2410. This is very easy to play and gives you all the identifying elements of the chord, the root, the third, and the seventh (eliminating the fifth). So it works in almost every situation. Listen to the third chord of Joe Brown's version of I'll See You in My Dreams intro and the following use of the same progression. This is how he plays it in that context.

Stick with trying to learn the difficult fingerings. I remember having difficulty with that chord five years ago. It's been easy for three years now but it took two yrs. to get it. As you progress you will learn the importance of learning different chord positions which are different voicings, which are different inversions. They later allow you to play the melody in the chords, chord soloing.

Wow. Saw the Fmaj7 and paid no attention to the 2313. Wake up Ray! (Or better yet, get some sleep!) Glad addicted2myuke found my post helpful.

Stick with trying to learn the difficult fingerings. I remember having difficulty with that chord five years ago. It's been easy for three years now but it took two yrs. to get it. As you progress you will learn the importance of learning different chord positions which are different voicings, which are different inversions. They later allow you to play the melody in the chords, chord soloing.

I agree! Keep working on your weaknesses. I had trouble with Am7: 2433 - barring the two strings on the third fret and curling my ring finger on the third string fourth fret. But that is such a major movable chord and it has been worth working on it.

My gracious, what wonderful inputs. I appreciate it very much. NOW! I see after all your very helpful comments, that I've voiced the chord wrong. I should have said 2413 for the Fmaj7. Sorry. I hope, if you have already tried to help, you may look again and offer coments if you can; Blessings, arktrav.

Top Bottom