Okay Compass Rose Owners, Post your Beauties..

Here are my two non-custom Compass Roses. On the left, a solid mahogany Mini Jumbo tenor, and on the right a solid walnut tenor.

attachment.php

Oh Stan,
You know I can't resist this thread. Here is my Nano Concert Compass Rose. I've had it less then a week, and I am completely infatuated with it. Amazon Rosewood and Spruce. She really sings!!!!!
CRclose.jpg
CRfront.jpg
CRback.jpgCRbackdetail.jpgCRbackdetail1.jpg

This is my CR tenor. It's also incredible. Walnut and Spruce! In fact I love this one so much that I decided a year ago to get her a little sister(the Compass Rose Nano) I feel incredible lucky to have two CR's....For me, neither will ever be sold.....
CompassRose - Copy.jpgCompassRose2 - Copy.jpgCompassRoseBack.jpgCompassRoseBackDetail.jpgCompassRoseDetail.jpg

To those of you who have walnut bodied CRs, what strings do you use?

Here is my SB all mahogany CR built for the 2005 NAMM show. One of Rick's earlier ones and a real ringer!

CR 01.jpgCR 02.jpgCR 03.jpgCR 04.jpg

Guys, these are great ukes but the MBU thread is winning.

Aloha Don,
This is not a comparison, competion or a contest, it was never meant to be.....Just wanted to Showcase Rick and Compass Rose as a amazing luthier and share all his beautiful works with the members...that's all.... it is always nice to give credit where it is due and return what he has done for us.... Mahalo Rick for your contributions to us and the uke world....:)

Did somebody say Compass Rose?

CR front shot.jpg

Adirondack spruce top, sprayed black.
Cherry back and sides
Mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard, bridge and peghead plate
Abalone purfling around body and peghead
White binding around body and peghead
Abalone inlay by Larry Robinson
Side port
D-Tar Timberline Pickup
Gotoh open back tuners/antique gold
Nut/saddle material (I'll have to ask Rick, it's not on the spec sheet)
Polyester high gloss finish

CR back body.jpg

CR body front angle.jpg

CR mon extreme close up.jpg

CR peghead detail.jpg

Last edited:
Aloha Don,
This is not a comparison, competion or a contest, it was never meant to be.....Just wanted to Showcase Rick and Compass Rose as a amazing luthier and share all his beautiful works with the members...that's all.... it is always nice to give credit where it is due and return what he has done for us.... Mahalo Rick for your contributions to us and the uke world....:)

Hey Stan thanks for posting my Koa Compass Rose..I am still Low tech..

don't waste your time trying to explain what Rick does for other people..it is personal for some of the UU members..

i just give Rick and Chuck the respect/credit they deserve and move on..

Last edited:
Two of the best in the biz at the top of their games!

Why would you want to make this a pissing contest instead of celebrating the craftsmanship of two of the top builders who also happen to be members of UU?
Thank you Gary, While I am disappointed and offended, I cannot understand why there has to be a spin on things....and disrespecting my thread....you are so right, Chuckie and Rick are the top ukulele builders and they give so much in so many ways...I appriciate both of them for contributing all they do to the forums and the ukulele.....why people say some things is way beyond me...

Last edited:
Hey Stan thanks for posting my Koa Compass Rose..I am still Low tech..

don't waste your time trying to explain what Rick does for other people..it personal for some UU members..

The Koa on your CR is stunning. Glad to see the pic. Thanks for posting it Stan.

Here's my gem. It was built in 2012. Cocobolo B/S, with a Redwood top. Strung it up with Low G Living Waters strings and she sings. It literally has a bell soundCompass1.jpgCompass2.jpgCompass3.jpg;)

Enjoy!

Top Bottom