PDA

View Full Version : Okay Compass Rose Owners, Post your Beauties..

mm stan
05-25-2013, 04:57 AM
Love to see all of Ricks wonderful builds, can you share them with us....thank you :)

mds725
05-25-2013, 05:51 AM
Here are my two non-custom Compass Roses. On the left, a solid mahogany Mini Jumbo tenor, and on the right a solid walnut tenor.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51397&d=1365106108

Doc_J
05-25-2013, 07:07 AM
No. 10-252

Flamed Cherry.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53477&d=1369501128
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53476&d=1369501068
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53480&d=1369501346
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53478&d=1369501245

caukulele
05-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Oh Stan,
You know I can't resist this thread. Here is my Nano Concert Compass Rose. I've had it less then a week, and I am completely infatuated with it. Amazon Rosewood and Spruce. She really sings!!!!!

caukulele
05-25-2013, 07:16 AM
This is my CR tenor. It's also incredible. Walnut and Spruce! In fact I love this one so much that I decided a year ago to get her a little sister(the Compass Rose Nano) I feel incredible lucky to have two CR's....For me, neither will ever be sold.....

mm stan
05-25-2013, 09:47 AM
53500 Hawaii 5-0 Asked me to post his Compass Rose, click picture to enlarge :) mahalo plentee gang for posting da peekchas keep them coming so I can drool :)

Gillian
05-25-2013, 10:08 AM
To those of you who have walnut bodied CRs, what strings do you use?

lakesideglenn
05-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Here is my SB all mahogany CR built for the 2005 NAMM show. One of Rick's earlier ones and a real ringer!

Tailgate
05-25-2013, 12:48 PM

I use Living Water.. love 'em

Markr1
05-25-2013, 04:14 PM
There's a good reason why.
Guys, these are great ukes but the MBU thread is winning.

mm stan
05-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Aloha Don,
This is not a comparison, competion or a contest, it was never meant to be.....Just wanted to Showcase Rick and Compass Rose as a amazing luthier and share all his beautiful works with the members...that's all.... it is always nice to give credit where it is due and return what he has done for us.... Mahalo Rick for your contributions to us and the uke world....:)

gyosh
05-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Did somebody say Compass Rose?

Adirondack spruce top, sprayed black.
Cherry back and sides
Mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard, bridge and peghead plate
Abalone purfling around body and peghead
White binding around body and peghead
Abalone inlay by Larry Robinson
Side port
D-Tar Timberline Pickup
Gotoh open back tuners/antique gold
Nut/saddle material (I'll have to ask Rick, it's not on the spec sheet)
Polyester high gloss finish

gyosh
05-25-2013, 05:16 PM

ten letters

gyosh
05-25-2013, 05:21 PM

There's a good reason why.

Two of the best in the biz at the top of their games!

Why would you want to make this a pissing contest instead of celebrating the craftsmanship of two of the top builders who also happen to be members of UU?

hawaii 50
05-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Aloha Don,
This is not a comparison, competion or a contest, it was never meant to be.....Just wanted to Showcase Rick and Compass Rose as a amazing luthier and share all his beautiful works with the members...that's all.... it is always nice to give credit where it is due and return what he has done for us.... Mahalo Rick for your contributions to us and the uke world....:)

Hey Stan thanks for posting my Koa Compass Rose..I am still Low tech..

don't waste your time trying to explain what Rick does for other people..it is personal for some of the UU members..

i just give Rick and Chuck the respect/credit they deserve and move on..

mm stan
05-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Two of the best in the biz at the top of their games!

Why would you want to make this a pissing contest instead of celebrating the craftsmanship of two of the top builders who also happen to be members of UU?
Thank you Gary, While I am disappointed and offended, I cannot understand why there has to be a spin on things....and disrespecting my thread....you are so right, Chuckie and Rick are the top ukulele builders and they give so much in so many ways...I appriciate both of them for contributing all they do to the forums and the ukulele.....why people say some things is way beyond me...

Newportlocal
05-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Hey Stan thanks for posting my Koa Compass Rose..I am still Low tech..

don't waste your time trying to explain what Rick does for other people..it personal for some UU members..

The Koa on your CR is stunning. Glad to see the pic. Thanks for posting it Stan.

gyosh
05-25-2013, 06:44 PM
53500 Hawaii 5-0 Asked me to post his Compass Rose, click picture to enlarge :) mahalo plentee gang for posting da peekchas keep them coming so I can drool :)

Looks like it came off the same billet as Rick's personal player.

Beautiful.

gyosh
05-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Here is my SB all mahogany CR built for the 2005 NAMM show. One of Rick's earlier ones and a real ringer!

Personally, I'm not a fan of the sunburst, but your's is done impeccably.

'05 . . . that must sound incredible!

keliiyama
05-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Here's my gem. It was built in 2012. Cocobolo B/S, with a Redwood top. Strung it up with Low G Living Waters strings and she sings. It literally has a bell sound535405354153542;)

Enjoy!

hawaii 50
05-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Here's my gem. It was built in 2012. Cocobolo B/S, with a Redwood top. Strung it up with Low G Living Waters strings and she sings. It literally has a bell sound535405354153542;)

Enjoy!

It is about time you post pictures..my bruddah!

folks this is the uke Rick always talks about..nice!

mds725
05-25-2013, 08:42 PM

Both of my CRs have the original strings Rick put on them (I don't know what they are, to be honest). I try to operate on the theory that the guy who builds an ukulele knows what strings are best for it, but I'm seriously considering swapping the original strings out for Living Water Strings.

iDavid
05-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Do most of you guys string you CR uke Low-G or High-G?

Dan Uke
05-25-2013, 09:01 PM
I operate on the theory that I trust my own ears. What happens if the manufacturer changes strings like Collings?

Newportlocal
05-25-2013, 09:28 PM

Enjoy!

I really love finally seeing some good photos of yours! Mine will be cocobolo and sinker redwood. Yours is amazing.

Dan Uke
05-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Instead of just show and tell...I would love to hear some more CR ukes. Hard to find newer recordings

Markr1
05-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Sorry gyosh no harm meant here but speaking of pissing it's 5am here and I've got to go take one.

gyosh
05-26-2013, 04:48 AM

Enjoy!

I love your uke and was hoping you'd post it. I totally wanted to copy it, but eventually went with my own design.

Beautiful uke!

gyosh
05-26-2013, 04:55 AM
Both of my CRs have the original strings Rick put on them (I don't know what they are, to be honest). I try to operate on the theory that the guy who builds an ukulele knows what strings are best for it, but I'm seriously considering swapping the original strings out for Living Water Strings.

Rick uses Aquilla's.

Switch them and find what makes each uke sing.

I'm a Southcoast (ML-SW) fanboy for wound strings, and a PhD fanboy for unwound. I just restrung my CR with the Southcoast strings and it sounds much louder and I hear greater note separation. They also don't squeak nearly as much as the old G-650's did. Really nice strings.

PhD's are my go to string. No "boominess" in the low g, and great feel.

I love both sets!

gyosh
05-26-2013, 04:57 AM
Do most of you guys string you CR uke Low-G or High-G?

My two cents is that a CR is built to sound more "guitar like" so low G really brings out that characteristic sound. I have a Kamaka that will be strung re-entrant.

gyosh
05-26-2013, 05:02 AM
Sorry gyosh no harm meant here but speaking of pissing it's 5am here and I've got to go take one.

No worries.

I'd just hate to see people bashing, what are arguably two of the best builders in the world.

gyosh
05-26-2013, 05:08 AM
That has a real vintage look to it - like it was made in the 1920's! Very elegant.

I just read your signature and drooled a little bit.

Do the DeVines sound as good as they look? (I'm hoping better.)

Same with the Timms. I'm a huge fan of his work, and I'd love to meet him and the Mrs.

caukulele
05-26-2013, 05:18 AM
Rick uses Aquilla's.

Switch them and find what makes each uke sing.

I'm a Southcoast (ML-SW) fanboy for wound strings, and a PhD fanboy for unwound. I just restrung my CR with the Southcoast strings and it sounds much louder and I hear greater note separation. They also don't squeak nearly as much as the old G-650's did. Really nice strings.

PhD's are my go to string. No "boominess" in the low g, and great feel.

I love both sets!

Hey Gary, I just put the Southcoast (ML-SW) on my tenor CR, and I love them. They seem to have a great balance. I just wish they weren't so expensive.
I am trying the Worth Browns on my Nano, and I like them a lot..but still debating if they are the perfect strings for me on the Nano. I do prefer the non wound low G when possible.

gyosh
05-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Hey Gary, I just put the Southcoast (ML-SW) on my tenor CR, and I love them. They seem to have a great balance. I just wish they weren't so expensive.
I am trying the Worth Browns on my Nano, and I like them a lot..but still debating if they are the perfect strings for me on the Nano. I do prefer the non wound low G when possible.

Try the PhD's then. Great for balance and feel. They take a long time to settle in though.

kvehe
05-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Here's my nano jumbo mahogany concert:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh638/kvehe/photo_zps5e5721dd.jpg (http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/kvehe/media/photo_zps5e5721dd.jpg.html)

Dan Uke
05-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Also, no one was bashing Rick or Chuck here since most of us own one or both of their instruments. My dumb comment that upset Stan was that the "MBU thread was winning" which I meant to say they had better pictures than the CR thread so far. Sorry again dudes.

It was an innocuous statement especially since you own a CR. Let's all move on and enjoy the pics!! I want a soundclip from all you owners!!

mm stan
05-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Aloha Don,
Appoligies accepted...I hope this is a lesson for all the members trying to be funny or create controversy and indifference in a thead and that it is wrong and hurtful....If anyone in the future tries this on my thread again friend or no friend they will be dealt quickly and with strong conquences....thank you to the others who did not carry this on a further as this was a personal thing I needed
to sort out...yes I agree, lets get carried on with the thread.. My appoligies to the other members who had to see this.... Stan

mm stan
05-26-2013, 11:38 AM
It was an innocuous statement especially since you own a CR. Let's all move on and enjoy the pics!! I want a soundclip from all you owners!!

Aloha Danny,
This may have been harmless to you, because it was not directed to you... but sabotaging and throwing a thread of track for personal fun for some has it's bad side...someone always gets hurt,
and is that really worth it... as the old saying goes,, "all's fun until someone loses and eye" just saying..

hawaii 50
05-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Ok hope we can see more CR pictures..

Tailgate
05-26-2013, 02:32 PM

here ya go... CR Walnut tenor.. love it with my Living Water strings.. so well made and quite a beauty! Love the sound port!

toomauch
05-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Has as much Sing as Bling

mm stan
05-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Aloha Gang,
Thank you for continuing to send more beautiful pictures....Love them and thank you for sharing...So sorry for blowing my top...I rarely do that..
yes keep those beauties coming....we all are loving it...and it was great to see Keli'i and Gary's prized Compass roses that Rick always talks about..
of course all of your compass roses are unique and awesome....you all are making me drooooooooooooooooooooooooool:drool: Keep them coming and mahalo plentee :)
I love all your one of a kind awesome customs.....sure is tempting me...one day I hope... :)
P.S. Golden Rule>>>>> (( Treat others as you want to be treated)) :)

experimentjon
05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
My apologies Stan, and everyone else - no disrespect meant. I was trying to be funny and obviously bombed. I love my Compass Rose and appreciate everything Rick Turner has done for our community.

Mahalo,

Don

Haha, I actually thought your original post was funny--and just misconstrued...perhaps b/c of a lack of good smileys following it. I actually took it to mean that the MB thread had more posts in it--and by that metric, the Ahnko Honu threads are winning by miles. :P

Beautiful ukes in this thread. I especially loved the instrument on the first page with the rope-purfling around the headstock.

mds725
05-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Here's my nano jumbo mahogany concert:

That's a beauty! It looks a lot like my mini jumbo mahogany tenor. It would be fun to pose them next to each other for a "family portrait."

gyosh
05-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Hey all, here's a link to a "Compass Rose Owners and Fans" page (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=224) that's been inactive for quite a while.

Let's get it going again.

hawaii 50
05-27-2013, 07:08 AM
Nice to see all the happy Compass Rose owners post pictures,, some I have never seen before..thxs
I know many more out there but I think most CR owners know themselves well enough so no need to show off to others(maybe cause they older like me,,Haha)

there is one person from Central Calif coast that last count had 9 CRs(8 months ago)..but by now he probably added a few more... he about my age and does not show off his ukes at all,,, Haha

Thanks Rick Turner..i say it many times but I still play My Koa Compass Rose everyday..i have had it for 9 months and it still sounding better the more I play it..

thanks brother..

hawaii 50
05-27-2013, 09:29 AM

Hey Mark.... Rick has said that string choice is up to the player..he does not expect you to use the one's that come from his shop unless you like them..in fact I know he likes the Savarez Red Card..

so don't worry about trying other brands,,just use the one you like..sound/tone wise..no one can tell you what to use..it is a personal choice..

mm stan
05-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Aloha Mark,
How many compass roses do you have....please post them side by side so I can see them.....thank you
come on guys and gals...please post your compass roses....I really want to see them.......thank you :)

on another post....
Haha, I actually thought your original post was funny--and just misconstrued...perhaps b/c of a lack of good smileys following it. I actually took it to mean that the MB thread had more posts in it--and by that metric, the Ahnko Honu threads are winning by miles. :P

??????? Nice...Perhaps lack of your insight I suppose kills threads too eh.....if you don't know for sure, why post.... :( could say more, but will leave it at that...

justinlcecil
05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
What I wouldn't give to hear one of these in person if they sound half as beautiful as they look. Nice ukes guys.

counsel1
11-21-2015, 04:58 AM

Two more to add--
2012 all cherry HO style C , gloss finish
2007 spruce/maple HO style B, satin finish sunburst

mm stan
11-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Holy smokes counsel1, nice compass ukulele ohana :) wow thank you

DownUpDave
11-21-2015, 09:39 AM
I bought this about 6 -7 months ago from a UU member.

Adirondack spruce top in Sunburst
Cocobolo back and sides
curly maple binding
sound port
radius fretboard

There are two things unusual about this uke. Hint......look at the headstock. Three things actually

M3Ukulele
11-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Dave, nice CR. How do you like the sound port and cantilevered fret board!

DownUpDave
11-22-2015, 12:53 AM
Dave, nice CR. How do you like the sound port and cantilevered fret board!

The sound port is awesome. I have one in my LfdM and I am a huge believer. It makes a difference to the player, you hear so much more, like wearing head phones. The cantilevered fretboard is the builders idea of a way to create better sound of course. The only thing I notice is the strings are higher above the top then any of my other ukes. This makes sense from a purely physical point of view, about 1/16" higher at the back of the sound hole

Still nobody willing to take a guess about what is different about this ukuulele. Hint, something is extra, yet something is missing and something is not what is usually done. See pictures in prior post......headstock shot.

Here is the cantilevered fretboard Monty.

mm stan
11-22-2015, 01:01 AM
Very nice Dave.. tobacco sunburst wow

good_uke_boy
11-22-2015, 02:13 AM
The sound port is awesome. I have one in my LfdM and I am a huge believer. It makes a difference to the player, you hear so much more, like wearing head phones. The cantilevered fretboard is the builders idea of a way to create better sound of course. The only thing I notice is the strings are higher above the top then any of my other ukes. This makes sense from a purely physical point of view, about 1/16" higher at the back of the sound hole

Still nobody willing to take a guess about what is different about this ukuulele. Hint, something is extra, yet something is missing and something is not what is usually done. See pictures in prior post......headstock shot.

Here is the cantilevered fretboard Monty.

Let's see. Designed for 5 strings; strung with 4 strings; and strung with "classical metals" from Southcoast?

good_uke_boy
11-22-2015, 02:41 AM
Here are photos of mine. Bought from a UU member, who bought from another UU member. Adirondack spruce over cocobolo. Well traveled, but a great instrument.
Photos are borrowed from a UU marketplace listing...

DownUpDave
11-22-2015, 03:04 AM
Let's see. Designed for 5 strings; strung with 4 strings; and strung with "classical metals" from Southcoast?

Well done.......your prize winning cheque is in the mail :p

Your CR is beautiful, I love the sap strip in the back, very dramatic and artistic

good_uke_boy
11-22-2015, 06:02 AM
Well done.......your prize winning cheque is in the mail :p

Your CR is beautiful, I love the sap strip in the back, very dramatic and artistic

Thanks! The sound this uke makes is kindof amazing, too. Bright, loud as a cannon, rich, and warm, all at the same time.

PS: I'd take you up on the cheque, but if it's drawn in Canadian dollars, then, well, you know... :rolleyes:

M3Ukulele
11-22-2015, 06:26 AM
Would any owners who have both jumbo and standard CR shape like to comment on sound differences?
I have one of these on my wish list!
Thanks

NewKid
11-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Here are photos of mine. Bought from a UU member, who bought from another UU member. Adirondack spruce over cocobolo. Well traveled, but a great instrument.
Photos are borrowed from a UU marketplace listing...

Please sell this to me when you're done wit it! I've been following this uke since I saw it new on the Gryhon website.

Gillian
11-23-2015, 07:20 AM
Here are my two beauties.