What a $25 Baritone sounds like ... my first Baritone experience

Doc_J

Reaction score
Hey, I think most of us uke players are curious about playing the Baritone, if you haven't played one. I was.

Been reading a few threads then saw this one on Bargain Baritones.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?77465-Baritone-Bargains/page13

Well, I thought this might be a good way to try a baritone without wasting too much dough. Anyways, I got one of those "Gambler's Specials" for $25 + shipping. Gambled and won. The uke (Lanikai LU-21B) was in great shape, except for glue over a few frets and on the fretboard. Cleaned right up with a pen knife and a little patience, and some sandpaper. I wasn't expecting too much from this laminated uke sound wise. But I think it sounds darn good, bear in mind I don't have another baritone to compare. Intonation was good all over within 5-10 cents everywhere.
Setup was good, nice and low. Actually, a hair too low on the 1st-string. Only a slight sporadic buzz on the first fret on the 1-st string.

I think it was worth $25. What do you think?

Remember I don't know many right chords on a baritone, just having picked it up 2 days ago.

Sound sample:
https://www.box.com/s/zm79w9yisaeirn14p7h0

Last edited:
Yup, not a bad deal. I paid $55+shipping for one of the setup ones. The action and intonation aren't ideal but not terrible and it convinced me to try a better baritone - Bruko is on the way now!

You say "Remember I don't know many right chords on a baritone, just having picked it up 2 days ago."

All the chords you already know are the right chords...just in a different key :)

I purchased a factory second of a Lanikai Bari Spruce top. Has a slight buzz I've never bothered fixing. I love that thing!!!

$25 + shipping is equivalent to a dinner for two so just eat at home one night!! Great buy

Sounds great, even if it was more than 25 dollars. Chord shapes are chord shapes Doc. The only thing that changes are the chords. Man, ya got a great deal.

I rolled the dice on this one. I'll keep you posted when it gets here. I hope mine just needs a little glue clean up.

Dang, that sounds pretty good for $25. I am not of the Kenny Rogers Gambler persuasion, so I would probably opt for the "set-up" ones (are those really that well set-up though?)

I got one and I don't really need it, I have 2 others, just couldn't pass up a bargain. It was perfect except for a little corrosion on the bass strings that a little sanding took care of. set up fine, nice action, no buzzing. anyone want it?

Well I took the baritone gamble and I... won! It is not the best looking ukulele and it has a buzz because it needs a new saddle but hey for $25 it can't be beat. The flaws are mostly cosmetic. The sides are each made out of two different pieces of veneer (see dark line around the left side of the image) IMG_0191.jpg. I'm guessing the veneer cutter was mis-fed or something. Also the fret marker dots are a little jacked up looking IMG_0194.jpg. There is a little glue or finish on the top under the strings but that's about it IMG_0192.jpg. None of that causes any trouble when playing. There is some buzz but that is because the bridge and saddle aren't fit right IMG_0195.jpg. Shouldn't cause much trouble once I get the time to fix it. The buzz is a little distracting but I can live with it for now.

Last edited:
Chris, I fixed the saddle on my gambler baritone. Put a bone saddle on it. Raised it up a bit for better intonation and removing a slight buzz when fretting on the 1st fret. I think my original 'saddle' was worse than yours.

Before: before.jpg

After: after.jpg

All fixed now. Sounds terrific, IMHO. Still using the Aquila strings that came with it.

Updated sound sample with replacement bone saddle: https://www.box.com/s/5ohpzdoefb052f4ht3fd

Originally, I thought this uke would be low cost way to see how I liked playing a Baritone. If I liked the sound and feel, I intended to upgrade. But I'm fine with this baritone. Saddle replacement was necessary.

Last edited:
Well, I just made an offer on a gamble. Ya'll convinced me with your talkin'.

I liked mine, until it was stolen with my Regal vintage spruce top in a smash and grab out of my car in April.
I think they are a great deal...

Top Bottom