Concert strings on a soprano

tonet

Reaction score
Did you try concert strings on a soprano ukulele?

Which are your impressions? How is the volume, intonation, sustain...?

Did you try concert strings on a soprano ukulele?

Which are your impressions? How is the volume, intonation, sustain...?

I'm no authority on this, but of all the sets of strings I've bought, I believe they are all for either size interchangeably. That may not be the case with every brand though.

I think you need to be more aware of the tension rating. Low, medium or high. Or light, medium and hard... whatever the terminology is the brand uses.

Of course, tenor and baritone strings are different. Just to clarify.

Last edited:
And there is the length bit, Tenor strings are longer then Concert strings. Concert strings are longer then Soprano's.
I personally only have one kind of strings on my most of uke's (soprano, concert and tenor), and they are the Tenor version of the D'addario T2.
I've looked on their site for the difference in string thickness and found that to be negligible.

I use aquila concert strings on my Dolphin. They have a slightly larger diameter so the tension is a bit higher, which I prefer. I'm not sure about the sound difference, but they seem a bit louder than the soprano ones. Perhaps someone else could confirm that.

True, but AFAIK it is when all other factors are equal, and (again AFAIK) this is the case with aquila concert strings versus soprano strings on a soprano ukulele.

Ok, then we can confirm that concert Aquilas strings will have more tension than Aquila soprano size strings played with the same instrument, not?

Possibly,but when I used aquilas I always used
Concert on my sopranos.Better sounding I.M.O.

I have a soprano Bushman Jenny ukulele and I like a lot the strumming sound but when I play fingerpicking I don't feel that the sound is good enough. Do you think that Concert Aquilas will get better the fingerpicking sound than soprano size Aquilas?

Last edited:
I have a soprano Bushman Jenny ukulele and I like a lot the strumming sound but when I play fingerpicking I don't feel that the sound is good enough. Do you think that Concert Aquilas will get better the fingerpicking sound than soprano size Aquilas?

I'm not familiar with your ukulele model, but I once owned a Kamaka HF-1 soprano that I always used concert Aquilas on because they were louder and had higher tension for fingerpicking. Made a huge improvement in both the sound and playability - for some reason, on that particular uke, soprano strings always seemed extra mushy to me.

It is the same feeling to me. I feel that Aquilas soprano are too mushy on Bushman ukulele. You gave me a good clue. Thanks.

I have ended up tuning my sopranos to D. So the tension is the same as a concert in C. The strings usually say they are for either Concert or Soprano. I haven't noticed any strings being labeled soprano only.

Top Bottom