Tineo Baritone

saltytri

Reaction score
Tineo, also called Indian Apple, is a Chilean wood that seems to have properties much like myrtle and walnut except for the color, of course. The color, variation thereof and figure are very attractive and it is easy to work. The top is Carpathian spruce and the neck is Port Orford cedar.

8831381890_b24dcaee40_c.jpg

8831376890_bf9b60cb98_c.jpg

Yes, it seems to have the right stuff. Certainly worth a try. This was the smallest of three boards I bought and was only enough for back and sides, thus the spruce top. It is also the least attractive of the three, as it lacks the prominent black lines that are characteristic of tineo.

Last edited:
Beautiful stuff. That spruce is also beautiful. Very tight grain...and a baritone to boot!

Seems like it would make a beautiful top. :drool:

Nice. It certainly has the looks. Great finish too

At this point, it's just Birchwood Casey Sealer/Filler over penetrating epoxy. The wood ought to pop nicely when the Tru-Oil is on.

That is really an elegant baritone body shape with the simple appointments and beautiful spruce top and Tineo back and sides.

I have a bunch of Tineo but I found it to be hard and brittle. The sides kept splitting when bending. I put it aside and hoped to get back to it some day. I got it from a guy at a veneer mill and it was part of a shipping crate. He told me it came in from Brazil.

Attachments

• 100_2298.jpg
    100_2298.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 19
The stuff I have may not be the same as the stuff you have. It does look a little different. Mine works very nicely and bends like a dream. So far. We all know how fast that worm can turn.

The stuff I have may not be the same as the stuff you have. It does look a little different. Mine works very nicely and bends like a dream. So far. We all know how fast that worm can turn.

I got to thinking about it and the guy I bought it from said that it came over as crating material for some veneer. I know that when I ship skids overseas that they need to be heat treated to kill anyinsects that may be in the wood. I wonder if mine is case hardened? That would explain it being so brittle.

I got to thinking about it and the guy I bought it from said that it came over as crating material for some veneer. I know that when I ship skids overseas that they need to be heat treated to kill anyinsects that may be in the wood. I wonder if mine is case hardened? That would explain it being so brittle.

That's one of the things that is "fun" about acquiring unusual wood in small amounts from miscellaneous sources. You just never know....

Top Bottom