More pretty faces, more old Hawaiian uke repairs (3 ukes!)

Jake Wildwood

Reaction score
Well, here's part two of my 8-uke-strong repair squadron for a customer of mine. Three pretty faces:

paradise-1.jpg

This one above is a '20s "Paradise of the Pacific" label flamed koa uke. Real sweetheart. Click here for the blog post & pics.

kamaka-1.jpg

And here's a '30s monkeypod-wood Kamaka plain-Jane soprano. I'm thinking of asking for this guy in trade for some of the other work (if he'll let me!). The other ukes are fancier but I have a thing for monkeypod wood and plain-Jane ukes. Click here for the blog post & pics of that guy.

anahu-1.jpg

And finally here's a '20s James N Anahu soprano -- also plain, but this one's koa and a sweetie. Click here for the post on that guy.

Beautiful Jake, I love your work. Thanks for posting here as well as on your blog.

Hey, my pleasure, and thanks! I like to share the fun stuff over here as well since it's not every day people get exposed to oldy-but-goody ukes. :)

Aloha Jake,
Mahalo for sharing and bringing back these vintage ukes to their former glory...they now look amazing...wow

The wood on that monkeypod Kamaka is anything but plain-Jane!

Beautiful work on all of 'em!

Gaspar: Generally, very different. Typical older koa Hawaiian ukes tend to be brighter and more mid-rangey but with a pretty, bell-like chime. Martins are wider tonally and mellower in general. In addition I think the Hawaiian stuff actually tends to project and cut a little better than Martins but that's also because the frequency range is more limited and the more arched backs tend to focus the sound straight out.

This is all "in general," though, since specific examples can vary widely from norms.

Top Bottom