SEASON 67 OF UKE: "So Damn Happy"

H

Hippie Dribble

"SO DAMN HAPPY": The Songs of Loudon Wainwright

mSvN_hTNpbPj_aHiD6EyBvA.jpg

BACKGROUND TO THE THEME & PRIZES:

JUDGING:

will be a score out of 30 from Eugenie and I, on the basis of your singing, playing and the emotional investment you put into your chosen song. In the spirit of the original seasons contest we will record a critique video and give feedback to each entry.

BONUS POINTS?

You Bet! An automatic 3 bonus points for anyone who records 'Primrose Hill' as an entry or bonus. For no other reason than it is my favourite LW song.

GUIDELINES:

* one entry per person, single continuous take, no overdubs, uke front and centre.
* multiple versions of the same song are OK.
* enter as many bonuses as you like.
* please state in your video that the song is for season 67, Loudon Wainwright week, or words to that effect.
* please state in your video or in your thread post whether your song is an entry or a bonus track.

INSPIRATION:

a couple of references to get you started...
http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songartist/Loudon+Wainwright/index.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/loudon_wainwright_iii_tabs.htm
http://www.azchords.com/l/loudonwainwrightiii-tabs-34330.html

DEADLINE:

midnight Hawaii time Sunday June 2.

If you have any questions about the week, post away in the thread and I'll try and answer ASAP. Have a great week gang!

:)

PLAYLISTS:

ENTRIES

BONEY BUMS

Last edited:
Awesome theme Jon! I'm going to Maui in the morning. Hope I can get something recorded there. I already have a song in mind. :)

That's great Eric. Have a fab trip mate, really looking forward to what you bring to the party
:cheers:

Saw this not that long ago. I had never heard of him before. Looking forward to exploring his music with all of you

Saw this not that long ago. I had never heard of him before. Looking forward to exploring his music with all of you

great post Wongo, thanks for it mate.
I actually saw him and Lucy play down in Hobart a couple of years ago. An amazing show, including a couple of songs on the piano.

At one point of a song off the 'Strange Weirdos' record he forget the words and asked the crowd to help him out...silence. I knew the line so screamed it out and he turned to me and said "thanks man", then continued the song. I think I was the only real Loudo freak in the audience - Tassie crowds have a rep of being a very shy and reserved bunch, but not me after a few beers. :p Anyway, had a short chat with him afterwards, got him to sign a couple of records I took along. Was a memorable night for me no doubt.

But yeah, his stuff is incredible. Firmly in folk territory but splashes of country, pop, jazz and blues and maybe the wittiest lyricist I can think of...with a nod to John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats, Darren Hanlon and some others

Sounds like an awesome night. It's always great to meet the people who inspire you. Thanks for a great theme this week.

White Winos

Great choice of a performer Jon, and I could not agree more his stuff is so edgey
there is always an undercurrent of menace bubbling below the surface especially
when he sings songs about his father or his own family.

Here is a BONUS I did some time ago which encapsulates the hatred for the father
and perhaps a little bit more than love for the mother... with some extra glowing ;-)

Great choice of a performer Jon, and I could not agree more his stuff is so edgey
there is always an undercurrent of menace bubbling below the surface especially
when he sings songs about his father or his own family.

Here is a BONUS I did some time ago which encapsulates the hatred for the father
and perhaps a little bit more than love for the mother... with some extra glowing ;-)
"White Winos"... Wonderful job on this one Rob. Such a poignant and sad song, you really gave yourself to the story. And delivered.

Thanks for kicking things off in such fine fashion mate.

Alas I have no yootoob Loudon songs to share but I've got an old audio recorded awhile back. This was first recorded by Charlie Poole - he was the subject of a 2CD tribute set LW recorded a few years ago.

My Mother And My Sweetheart

and here's another one I forgot about

High Wide And Hansome

Last edited:
" I Haven't Got The Blues Yet"...Wow! You're so quick off the mark Brian, it's scary! Excellent effort mate considering you gave yourself zero learning time.

Entry or bonus?

Make it my entry please Jon.
Although I really like Over The Hill too so I may change it later if I get time to do it.
Any suggestions for a song to do with Charlie? Simple kid friendly 3 chorder?

Top Bottom