Which ukulele(s) are you bringing to UWC?

NewKid

Reaction score
Next weekend will be my first UWC. I was thinking of bringing 3-4 ukes but what do you experienced UWC veterans recommend?

I haven't decided yet. I THINK I'm gonna bring my 8 string, but I might have one coming to me while I'm there, so... maybe just my sopranino...

ARGH! I DON'T KNOW!

I might bring a Pineapple Sunday or Super-Concert (or both). I'll be bringing the Ohana Tiple and a Mainland Classic Mahogany baritone. I also have to bring a video camera and shotgun mic, and a DSLR camera and lenses.

I've usually brought three or four but I think this year I'm going to bring only a tenor and maybe a baritone. Oh...and the UBASS if I've got room for both it and a small bass amp.

I'm going to be camping this year so I don't want a bunch of ukes sitting in a hot car or tent. I'd bring my mahogany soprano as it is really my favorite uke but two things are stopping me - one, I don't think I'll ever find another that sounds like it so I can't bear the thought of "roughing it" with that uke, and two, the soprano fretboard is a little tight for pattern picking and stuff.

John

I'd bring my mahogany soprano as it is really my favorite uke but two things are stopping me - one, I don't think I'll ever find another that sounds like it so I can't bear the thought of "roughing it" with that uke, and two, the soprano fretboard is a little tight for pattern picking and stuff.

Hi John,

What's the make of your mahogany soprano? I'm planning on bringing my Ken Timms Style O and you're more than welcome to play it. I'll be there by Friday afternoon!

Mahalo,

Don

Hi John,

What's the make of your mahogany soprano? I'm planning on bringing my Ken Timms Style O and you're more than welcome to play it. I'll be there by Friday afternoon!

Mahalo,

Don

Hey, thanks Don - I've been wanting to try one of Ken's ukes! The mahogany soprano is just a little Mainland but it must have been the pick of its litter because it's just crazy loud, has nearly perfect intonation, and has all kinds of punch. That's why I'm figuring I couldn't replace it - I don't think it's typical of Mainland ukes (I'm a big fan of Mainland but none of my others are anything like that one soprano). It's one of the few instruments that I've owned that "opened up" significantly after I got it. When I bought it last year during UWC it was just "a good value" - after a few weeks and some heavy fluorocarbon strings I realized that it wasn't really giving anything up to my longneck soprano KoAloha - in fact, I like it better because it intonates better.

John

What's UWC....sounds big.

'Bout 400 or so people from literally all over the world meeting to hang out in a field in rural Indiana playing ukulele. There is a huge thread in the regional meet ups forum.

John

Not sure I should answer this question.
11? 2 will not come home with me.
I can list them if you want. I like to let people try out all the review ukes I get and some of my personal ones too.

I am bringing my Custom David Gill Fluke style and my Lanikai CK-C for signatures.

Hey Don, how did you figure out your Favilla is a 62? I've got a Favilla Baritone and have no idea what year it is.
Great! I'm bringing my '62 Favilla baritone as well. Its swell!

Hey Don, how did you figure out your Favilla is a 62? I've got a Favilla Baritone and have no idea what year it is.

Hi Mark,

The serial number on my label is 209162. I emailed Tom Favilla and here's what he wrote back:

Don,
You hit the year on the head, built in 1962. At that time (1962 and 1963)we were fiddling with code dated serial
numbers. Your serial number denoted that it was built in February, it was the 19th instrument and the year 1962 (62)
The fingerboard is Brazilian Rosewood. We didn't move to East Indian Rosewood until about 1965.

How cool is Tom Favilla? Hope that helps you date yours!

Don

Great! I'm bringing my '62 Favilla baritone as well. Its swell!

Cool! I'm planning on bringing a baritone but I haven't really made up my mind whether to bring the reentrant Mainland or the linear Pono...leaning toward the latter, though.

John

Hey Don, Thanks for the info. I'll have to pull mine out and check it out closely. The only markings on it that I remember without pulling it out is that it has Favilla Brothers stamped into the wood in the soundhole on the inside of the back wood.
Hi Mark,

The serial number on my label is 209162. I emailed Tom Favilla and here's what he wrote back:

Don,
You hit the year on the head, built in 1962. At that time (1962 and 1963)we were fiddling with code dated serial
numbers. Your serial number denoted that it was built in February, it was the 19th instrument and the year 1962 (62)
The fingerboard is Brazilian Rosewood. We didn't move to East Indian Rosewood until about 1965.

How cool is Tom Favilla? Hope that helps you date yours!

Don

Top Bottom