Another 3D printed thread...

mketom

Reaction score
I didn't want to steal KS's 3D printer thread so here's another one...
This is a 1/2 scale O-type soprano "printed" on a Stratasys fused-deposition-modeler (FDM). Since it is half-scale I can't predict how how long it would take to make a full-size version but this took 11 1/2 hours to make in a $68K machine. I used some 0.016 fishing line for strings but there's not much sound from this little guy...

LPU5.jpgLPU4.jpgLPU2.jpgLPUheadstock.jpg

Here's some images from the CAD model. I used Rhino, an inexpensive surface modeler, to model the ukulele. The pegs are shown as they came out of the machine. This pic shows the support material generated by the printer. Building this support structure can sometimes take as long as the actual parts.
RhinoScreen.jpgLPU6s.jpgphoto21.jpgpegs.jpg

Last edited:
It was 3.9 cu in. of ABS for all the bits, which is about $5.00/cu in., so just under $20. I'll send a 1:1 file to our printer this week to get an actual volume for a complete body. Yes, unfortunately with this this process you can get pretty coarse steps from really slight curves, so your flat surfaces will look much better.
tinyplasticuke.jpg

It was 3.9 cu in. of ABS for all the bits, which is about $5.00/cu in., so just under $20. I'll send a 1:1 file to our printer this week to get an actual volume for a complete body. Yes, unfortunately with this this process you can get pretty coarse steps from really slight curves, so your flat surfaces will look much better.
View attachment 53559

Wow, not very much material, but the body is quite thin. I plan to have a couple hollow channels in my neck to not only lighten it but reduce material consumption.

Top Bottom