Laughlin ukulele owners, please share your thought

Coldcomfort

Reaction score
If you have owned or tried Laughlin Martin's reproduction 3K or 3M. Please share your thought and experience here. Thank you!

I've had one for a short time but it had an issue with the fretboard inlay. For some reason it had an inlay at the ninth fret instead of the tenth so I sent it back. Sound wise it was very nice (for what it's worth) and was very well built.

Thanks for your input specialk13. I'm considering to get laughlin ukulele either 3m or 3k(still couldn't decide anybody out there have tried his 3M?)
From my research, Tim Laughlin is highly respected luthier who specialize in martin 3k reproduction.
However, I just wanna hear from laughlin owner.

I've had one for a short time but it had an issue with the fretboard inlay. For some reason it had an inlay at the ninth fret instead of the tenth so I sent it back. Sound wise it was very nice (for what it's worth) and was very well built.

I'm no expert on when or why Martin used this fretboard inlay pattern, but there are many examples of 1920 3K's and 3M's with the 5th, 7th, and 9th frets marked. I believe Tim Laughlin really tries to make his Martin reproductions historically accurate, and has used this pattern on many of his builds. Here's an example of an original 3M:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&sa=X&ei=EadeUpiEOrai4AP26YEY&ved=0CDwQ9QEwAg

I have just bought a Laughlin 3K and really vouch for the workmanship its excellent. The Uke looks incredible and sounds awesome.

The Laughlin 3m I own is my best ukulele. It really does sound like a Vintage Martin. I guess it's like what buying one in the 1930s would have been like.

laughin.jpg The 3K I own was built in 2001 -2006. It is a 3K custom model that has bookmatched curly Koa body so not a true 3K copy as these were originally one piece front and backs. It has a surprisingly similar tone to my Martin Mahogany Style 0 maybe not quite as loud (but still a loud uke) but a bit warmer and thicker sounding due to a bit of magic sparkle that sounds just beautiful . It plays superb , is great to sing with and the finish is fantastic. The bookmatched Koa you cannot see the join inside the Uke, it's that good. I think the lacquer is the very old style stuff as it smells like candy and very much like my old historic Gibson Les Paul
Love the Uke. It is a real eye turner. I have owned a new Martin 3 Cherry which I had a problem with and ended up returning it but this is in a different league both in build and sound. A real keeper. Tim Laughlin is a lovely helpful guy too

Attachments

• Laughlin front.jpg
    Laughlin front.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Thanks for your input specialk13. I'm considering to get laughlin ukulele either 3m or 3k(still couldn't decide anybody out there have tried his 3M?)
From my research, Tim Laughlin is highly respected luthier who specialize in martin 3k reproduction.
However, I just wanna hear from laughlin owner.

I have inspected and played the Laughlin 3M at Elderly Instruments. Like others have said, the build is impeccable, but it better be for $1750.00. However, I was quite shocked at how bad the intonation was. I carried a strobe tuner with me and was testing intonation on several ukes. Out of all the Kiwaya's, New and vintage Martins, the Laughlin had the worst intonation. It could have been, and probably was a bad set of strings, since everything else seemed flawless.

Won't do any good to flame me, since that was my observation. Take or leave it.

I have inspected and played the Laughlin 3M at Elderly Instruments. Like others have said, the build is impeccable, but it better be for $1750.00. However, I was quite shocked at how bad the intonation was. I carried a strobe tuner with me and was testing intonation on several ukes. Out of all the Kiwaya's, New and vintage Martins, the Laughlin had the worst intonation. It could have been, and probably was a bad set of strings, since everything else seemed flawless.

Won't do any good to flame me, since that was my observation. Take or leave it.

I bet it was the strings. I recently bought a new Martin 3 Uke. The intonation really wasn't great and I considered sending it back. Oddly the intonation on my Martin 3 cherry is spot on so I decided to try changing the strings. Voila! Problem solved. Intonation problem gone. I've heard other people have sent ukes back, especially Martins but I wonder if they tried changing strings first.

I remember the much missed MGMike saying that 99% of intonation problems are down to strings, especially if they're been sat in a shop for a while.

The intonation on my 3K Laughlin is as good as my Martin without question but not as good as a Kiwaya due to the modern compensated saddle you get with Kiwaya. You will never get perfect intonation with a straight saddle on a soprano uke anyway (on all strings ). I can just tell playing a uke if intonation is an issue. It just doesn't sound right. I put it down and run a mile!!

I just purchased a used Laughlin 3K. It is hard to put down. Very responsive and loud without being harsh. Mine is one of the two that were styled after the 1918-1920 3Ks with the kite, WBW nut and bow tie at the 7th fret, (diamonds at the 5th and 9th, just like the vintage Martin). The workmanship is first class. Playability and intonation are near perfect. It even has bar frets. Even the finish is old school, semi-gloss. It could pass for a near mint Martin if it weren't for the Laughlin stamps. I am very happy to have it. The very early 3Ks, (bow tie), are very hard to find, even in rough condition. My feeling is that if for you it has to be a vintage Martin, then be prepared to spend a lot and live with some quirks, (vintage instruments come with some responsibility, fragility and often the sins of less than perfect but well intended repairs). If you want to experience a nearly identical instrument without the vintage issues, I don't think that you could do better than a Laughlin Ukulele.

Tim Laughlin is the best kept secret in the ukulele world. I'm the owner of the other kite/bow tie 3K. It is without flaw. image.jpg Just flip your computer over for a better look haha

I just purchased a used Laughlin 3K. It is hard to put down. Very responsive and loud without being harsh. Mine is one of the two that were styled after the 1918-1920 3Ks with the kite, WBW nut and bow tie at the 7th fret, (diamonds at the 5th and 9th, just like the vintage Martin). The workmanship is first class. Playability and intonation are near perfect. It even has bar frets. Even the finish is old school, semi-gloss. It could pass for a near mint Martin if it weren't for the Laughlin stamps. I am very happy to have it. The very early 3Ks, (bow tie), are very hard to find, even in rough condition. My feeling is that if for you it has to be a vintage Martin, then be prepared to spend a lot and live with some quirks, (vintage instruments come with some responsibility, fragility and often the sins of less than perfect but well intended repairs). If you want to experience a nearly identical instrument without the vintage issues, I don't think that you could do better than a Laughlin Ukulele.

Congratulations. I have been drooling over the 5K that the same seller has listed. Do you have any idea from where he acquired three Laughlins?

Congratulations, it's a real beaut!

With the recent marshmallowing of the entire uke market, genuine Martin 3m and 3k ukuleles are more reasonably priced than they have been in years. Perhaps Laughlin owners might consider adding a genuine Martin to their collection if they have not already.

I just wanted to point out that the Laughlin 5K listed on the Flea Market Music site is not from the same seller as the 3K and the 2. Yann Poisson sold me the 3K and he was great to deal with. I do not know anything about the seller of the 5K.

After spending a few days and 3 sets of strings with a Laughlin 3 Mahogany, I have formed an opinion. This only reflects my taste and playing style.

The ukulele came to me with some unidentified, white strings, which sounded OK, but had a feel that I did not care for, so I changed to Worth Clear Medium High G. There was an unpleasant droning when playing fairly open chords and the tone was generally unpleasant for fingerstyle. I changed to Worth Medium Brown High G. The droning was gone and the tone was great. The instrument is very expressive and not as forgiving as my Kiwaya KTS-7, but it rewards careful playing. I am very happy with the newest member of the family. Fit and finish are nearly perfect, (I have not found any imperfections and I have no desire to hunt until I do). The uke is very resonant and balanced. Action is low, but not too low. The notes are clear and fairly complex for a soprano.

I enjoy the hunt, but I feel quite satisfied, at least for now. If my ear gets too used to one voice, I can choose a different wood or manufacturer and my ear wakes back up without having to adjust to greatly different scale lengths or string spacing. I prefer the Martin styles 3 and 5 to any other ukuleles, just as I preferred their 000, 12 fret guitars. Timeless and functional designs with very balanced and classic proportions. I like the curves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom