Mya Moe - "Gordon/Char" VERSUS "Gordon/Char/Aaron" Eras

dmecha1012

Reaction score
I have been looking at used Mya Moe's in different Uke forums.

I need help in distinguishing between the builds of these two eras, and what it would mean to me.

Thanks

I'm not sure that there's a distinct "era" or two to denote, because, as Gordon has stated in recent videos, Char has really progressively gotten better and better and taken on more responsibility since the early days, and the same can be said for Aaron as well. They've really gotten better as time goes on.

Will they continue to get better as time goes on? I would think so. However my earliest Mya Moe was #194 and I now have several later ones and they are all great instruments. I think the older ones are a bargain.

Mitch

I love their updated bridge design with the curve on the back of the bridge (created by Ben Bonham). I would recommend getting the latest model you can find because I do agree that they are getting better with so much experience under their belt. But then of course every instrument is unique so you could score a wonderful older Mya-Moe.

I have just gotten a Gordon Char Jan 2011 #387 supersop mango, and it's weight, ring and charm are no different than my #958 tenor (except one's a koa tenor and the other a mango supersop:eek:). The bracing and such are the same, as far as I can tell. One does not feel more refined than the other. They both use pegheads.

Agree, the bridge on the newer ones is a bigger, rounded bottom bridge design--but they both have a tie-style bridge (as opposed to a knotted bridge). The older Mya Moe has--and this is an aesthetic issue only--a rosewood bridge with an ebony fretboard. I remember when I ordered my 2012 tenor, Gordon told me that the ebony bridges came in middle 2012 (as I recall). I have seen some prety sweet ukes before that (Stevelele had a gorgeous one before he sold it) that were stunning, but just seemed a little "off" because of the lighter colored bridge. Glad they fixed that by getting ebony bridges.

Don;t know if all older Mya Moes are like mine--just letting you know my experience. Agree with poster below: the prices have changed in recent models more than the quality of sound. lol

I have one of each.
From the beginning Gordon has had a Mya-Moe sound, that sound has not changed.
Intonation and playability have always been a priority.
Any Mya-Moe is a great ukulele.

Top Bottom