Strumming Patterns

ROUGHRIDER13

Reaction score
Just got my uke yesterday.

The chords are all pretty easy, but I'm having difficulty figuring out the strumming patterns (which direction to strum and the rhythm to which I strum). Am I supposed to go on YouTube and figure it out or am I missing something?

First, if this is your first stab at playing a stringed isntrument, don't expect to learn it all overnight. There are lots of better qualified people here to help you, but for now I suggest just leanring good timing and rythym with the up-down-up-down strum. Then you'll be able to customize y9our strum patterns to each song you play and sing.

Aldrine has some good rhythm patterns in his Ukulele Minute videos on the main UU page

Aldrine has some good rhythm patterns in his Ukulele Minute videos on the main UU page

Good advice, but for me, it was patience, patience, patience -- combined with practice, practice, practice.

Here's the thing: you work at it for a few weeks (or a few months!) and all of sudden you realize you're a much better player and a much better listener. It's an awesome feeling.

Keep at it!

Hm. I've been playing cello for 4 years. Guess that says something about my lack of musical inclination....

I really had to stick to "down up down up down up down up" until I had a 4 or 5 chords nailed with their transitions.

After that, put on the song you're looking for, mute the strings with your left hand and try to feel out a natural rhythm

when i started i went with dddd, to get the hang of bars, then dduudu, now i seem to settle on ddu ddu, give yourself a bit of time and you will settle on pattern that suits you, when you have add strums as song dictates,

when i started i went with dddd, to get the hang of bars, then dduudu, now i seem to settle on ddu ddu, give yourself a bit of time and you will settle on pattern that suits you, when you have add strums as song dictates,

So it's at my own discretion?

Top Bottom